Flyers 2023 Entry Level Draft - 7th overall (confirmed)

pilldoc

If unable to draft either Bedard or Fantilli, who would you like to see the Flyers Draft?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Pick 2 players you would like to see the Flyers Draft if Bedard and Fantilli are unavailalbe?

• Leo Carlsson, C/W (Orebro, SHL)
    • Zach Benson, LW (Winnipeg, WHL)
    • Will Smith, C (USNTDP)
    • Andrew Cristall, LW (Kelowna, WHL)
    • Dalibor Dvorsky, C (AIK, Allsvenskan)
    • David Reinbacher, D (Kloten, NL)
    • Eduard Sale, RW (Brno, Czechia)
    • Nate Danielson, C (Brandon, WHL)
    • Brayden Yager, C (Moose Jaw, WHL)
    • Matvei Michkov, C (Sochi, KHL)
    • Other

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

But if they were to move Konecny, then RW becomes a valid option. 

I don't think so. Because you still have...

Atkinson

Tippett

Allison

Forester

Brink

Lycksell

Wisdom

Tuomaala

Kaplan

Gendron

Sulku

All RWs so yeah any postion BUT RW!

4 hours ago, Cheesesteak said:

If Snoop Dogg bought the team, any chance he's rename them The Highers? :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

🤪

lol, unlikely, but I would guess he'd introduce Senator's logos and themes at pot stores, which are legal in Ottawa after all. Probably have special smoking suites in the new arena for the VIP crowd. 

2 hours ago, radoran said:

No, true, and I edited now to just being a better than 1 in 10 chance.

It's not at all "shocking" under the circumstances. "Shocking" would be a 6.5% chance taking it.

And, to be clear, the NHL's opacity on these results is ridiculous and hurts them more than it helps.

And the league is more valuable and more popular than ever so if they're rigging it, it seems to be working for all of the parties concerned...

We fans just get to finance the whole thing.

:hocky:

Sorry. It's been years since we made a mistake under the radoran login that I had to call it out to keep people off the scent.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't think so. Because you still have...

Atkinson

Tippett

Allison

Forester

Brink

Lycksell

Wisdom

Tuomaala

Kaplan

Gendron

Sulku

All RWs so yeah any postion BUT RW!

If someone will take Atkinson, trade him.  I'll give you most of that group but suspect Allison has played his last in Orange & Black.

I don't think in our draft position there's a clear BPA so I do agree draft for need. But in that range you're also probably 1-3 seasons out on the pick, so who knows?

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

I'll give you most of that group but suspect Allison has played his last in Orange & Black.

Wade is a RFA this upcoming season is a huge one for him.

But i do think it is Tanner Laczynski last season best i ever see him ever even being is a Nick Cousins type for the Panthers not going to get real upset about missing out on that.

I think the Flyers have plenty of bottom 6 depth or even guys in the AHL ready to make that jump when needed.

Still a glut of RWs.

If it comes to the best RW on the board i'm drafting next best position available on the board.

I'm cool if others don't agree Flyers need to much depth at LW and Center.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

If it's forward or a legit RHD

I would see if Arizona is going to take David Reinbacher and work out a deal with them.

Maybe to move up because it had been rumored they were interested in defense what if now you offer them a Sanheim for the pick and a contract back to replace Chychrun at a modest price controlled 6.25 mill.

Maybe even add a piece or two to the deal on both sides if need be to make it work Flyers need kids Yotes need guys to fill out their roster and who can stay a few years.

So end up with a Reinbacher and a Benson or Moore at 7.

• Like 2

On 5/10/2023 at 5:49 AM, GrittyForever said:

Here's my question for you all. 

If he's still there at #7 do you draft Michkov?

I'm probably going against public opinion. But yes, if he's available at seven then I'd draft him. The risk is not concerning skill level. He is a top 3 pick, 1 in most drafts based on skill and projection. The risk is obviously political. But 3-4 years is a long time. The political landscape will change, whether or not it's within the Michkov time frame I don't know. But at 7, I'd be willing to accept that risk. 

Someone, a few posts earlier, said that the last 18/20 cup winners have had a 1-3 pick in their roster. Michkov is that. We will get a good player at 7, but we need to really swing for the fence. 

Again, there is little doubt about his skill level. The one major concern I have is how strong his mentality is. He just lost his father, that kind of thing can **** up anyone. For those of you who follow soccer, see Adriano as an example. 

• Like 3

It's tricky. Whoever picks him might get their Kaprizov in 3-4 years or nothing.  Definitely a risk but I'd guess he would eventually come over for the money. 

With a new unproven GM I suspect he will play it safer. 

11 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

Definitely a risk but I'd guess he would eventually come over for the money. 

Fedotov tried to come over for the money.

He's playing the rest of his career in the KHL after the government literally sent him to Siberia for trying it.

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

Fedotov tried to come over for the money.

He's playing the rest of his career in the KHL after the government literally sent him to Siberia for trying it.

Well idk, politics changes, times change. Three years from now things could be drastically different. 

1 hour ago, radoran said:

True story.

nuclear explosion GIF

I wouldn't gamble on Michkov myself. I'm playing it safe. I'm taking Reinbacher at 7 even though he might last until 10-13. He won't change the world, but he's pretty close to a sure thing. 

Edited by pilldoc
edited out political comments
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GrittyForever said:

Nah, that's not going to happen.

Right, but by the "anything can happen" token, it's not definitely not going to happen.

I don't think the Flyers can take a flier on Yakupov Michkov either.

:hocky:

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2023 at 12:02 AM, GrittyForever said:

I don't think Reinbacher goes that high. He's more of a 10-13 guy (likely 10) so I'd be shocked if he's not still there at 7. Too many good forwards in the list. 

He won't make it past Arizona at 12 I think.

So if you want to go RHD which is a huge need then Danny will more likely trade back to try and snag him but if he moves past 12 he won't get him.

From everything I read he more likely isn't a #1 but can always be your #2 or even #3 to me it is worth a trade back. But only if you cab land him.

I want Zach Benson if he is to fall to 7 but a #2 RHD seems more important in my eyes.

18 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

He won't make it past Arizona at 12 I think.

So if you want to go RHD which is a huge need then Danny will more likely trade back to try and snag him but if he moves past 12 he won't get him.

From everything I read he more likely isn't a #1 but can always be your #2 or even #3 to me it is worth a trade back. But only if you cab land him.

I want Zach Benson if he is to fall to 7 but a #2 RHD seems more important in my eyes.

I don't disagree with the ranking, but trading down is tricky. You go too far and somebody jumps up it all falls apart. D men have a history of going above their ranking in top rounds and with no other obvious top draft D somebody might jump up. As well as Arizona, Buffalo at 13 I think would definitely grab him and they could even trade up as they'd love to find a RHD to play with Power. 

Zach Benson is definitely a highly skilled player. I believe people use Brayden Point as a comparable. I'd say his size gives me a little pause for thought but all the same I wouldn't hate the pick if that's what it was. 

• Good Post 1

2 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

I don't disagree with the ranking, but trading down is tricky.

Bingo.

So do you try and play smart guy and trade back and get your guy and lose out when someone snags him.

Or say eff it i'm not worried about what all the experts say (like fans here will blast you on) you shouldn't have taken this guy at 7 yahdah yahdah who will give a fuk at the end of the day if you got your guy that is all that matters not making all the experts happy because they never come back later and say how wrong they were about player X.

All i know is they can not afford to have another 1st round bust like they had for a few years with Ron Hextall the draft expert someone claim he was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Bingo.

So do you try and play smart guy and trade back and get your guy and lose out when someone snags him.

Or say eff it i'm not worried about what all the experts say (like fans here will blast you on) you shouldn't have taken this guy at 7 yahdah yahdah who will give a fuk at the end of the day if you got your guy that is all that matters not making all the experts happy because they never come back later and say how wrong they were about player X.

All i know is they can not afford to have another 1st round bust like they had for a few years with Ron Hextall the draft expert someone claim he was.

I think I might have already said this earlier, but to the point, as a rookie GM I suspect Briere goes with a relatively safe pick. You won't see some swing for the fences thing. He knows he has to hit on a solid NHL prospect. 

The trade down will only work if the return is substantial and you don't see much of that in NHL drafts. I wouldn't move 5 spaces down just to add some 3rd or 4th round pick. You just go BPA and pass on Michkov if he's still there. 

Of course all that goes out the window IFF he somehow manages to swing a bunch of deals and shed Hayes etc. for a bunch of picks. If that happens, options are endless. If you land more than one top 10 pick, then I'm gambling on Michkov with one of them if it's there to be had. 

D early in the 2nd round (Bonk etc.) would have been nice but Fletcher...............

1 hour ago, GrittyForever said:

I might have already said this earlier, but to the point, as a rookie GM I suspect Briere goes with a relatively safe pick. You won't see some swing for the fences thing.

That is why you lean on your scouting to make that call.

1 hour ago, GrittyForever said:

Scouts chosen by Fletcher..............yikes :)

Not all a few left over from Hextall as well.

But honestly Chuck's drafts have been better than Ron's (but Chuck did trade a 1st 2 years ago so hard to judge that one) and well chose York over Caulfield some will say.

But he has 3 first that look like good picks.

York

Foerster

traded

Gauthier

So no bust in there.

Ron had a few.

Rubstov

O'Brein

Patrick

So not to shabby of I day.

Fingers crossed.

That's true, but for a team that hasn't finished very high in the standings for several years, the prospect pool isn't very deep. It should be better. Trading away high picks is obviously dumb, but we need to do a better job on later round picks as well in the future if we want to rise. 

I'm not a big analytics guy, but it's clear in this era that it's a solid resource that can be integrated into traditional scouting and the teams with big prospect pools do seem to be using it effectively so I'm hoping that with Briere they will integrate more of that into the process and not just old school methods. We shall see. 

• Like 1