Danny Briere: Flyers’ New GM Says ‘Rebuild,’ Welcomes the Challenge

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

What they have needed for a long time is a "the man".

I guess the point is, "the man" at just under $12 million a year hasn't got past the first round in 7 years in the league. And he's not on Arizona or Columbus, he's on a team with several very good players. 33 points in 39 playoff games isn't being "the man". It's not terrible, but it sure isn't $11.6 million worth.

And there's still that 'stache. 😁

And wtf is with these emojis?

19 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Name: Emilie Castonguay

Title: Assistant general manager, Vancouver Canucks 

Education: Bachelor - Finance. Bachelor - Law. Bar association member (Lawyer)

Years of hockey experience:  25 years (10 working, 15 playing)

Describe your job in 2-3 sentences.

Part of the management team of the Vancouver Canucks hockey operations department. Help create a Stanley Cup-contending team.

And why would she be good for the Flyers?  Honest question ... not trying to be sarcastic here.  I really don't know much about her.

Don't really know her but I know this dude.

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

I guess the point is, "the man" at just under $12 million a year hasn't got past the first round in 7 years in the league. And he's not on Arizona or Columbus, he's on a team with several very good players. 33 points in 39 playoff games isn't being "the man". It's not terrible, but it sure isn't $11.6 million worth.

And there's still that 'stache. 😁

And wtf is with these emojis?

Well one thing is  he can't do it himself.

He needs help more specifically goaltending has been terrible them when they have made the playoffs since Matthews has been in the NHL along with their very suspect blueline with patchwork acquisitions that so remind me of the Flyers from 1997 till they at least finally got Steve Mason.

@flyercanuck

I see your point, he's being paid like McJesus and he's not producing like McJesus, there is only one McJesus.

Like I said later in the post, he's not a defenseman and he's not a goalie. 

Those are where the Leaves® have had the largest failings in the playoffs. 

The elimination games that I watched where they lost, he and Marner were creating chances most of the game.

There is talent on that team, but is it really a well constructed team?

• Good Post 1

10 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

There is talent on that team, but is it really a well constructed team?

The "problem" for Tronno is the $11M in Tavares who is clearly not worth that. That's 33-year-old "15 points in 21 Leaes playoff games" Tavares.

If they're going to need to move one of their young guns, that's why.

Then you look at the fact that they have two forwards who make more than their entire defense (three forwards once Muzzin if off IR)

And that they're playing in front of goalies who are cast offs from other teams (neither of whom are in the playoffs this year).

It's not hard to see why they don't succeed in the playoffs. And it's got a whole lot to do with a whole bunch that doesn't have much to do with Auston Matthews.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

3 hours ago, radoran said:

Honestly, I don't watch Leafes games :hocky:

Right? I mean, seriously? The only time I watch those mouth breathers is when they play the Flyers. And since I am not watching the Flyers this season, that measn not at all. The only thing I hate more than the "T-leaves", is Pissburg

Edited by CoachX

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Well, there's nothing that says acquiring Matthews - if he's available and if the situation is right - precludes doing anything else.

It may not preclude other moves but it certainly sends the Flyers spiraling down the same stupid Win Now drain, hoping for the quick fix when they should be prioritizing the much harder work developing their own. They won't simply "do both" because they never have. You know what they do. They go after the Big Name, sign him to a bloated contract and tell everyone what a successful off-season they had. That's their history. 

Granted their choices of "superstars" have been terrible, which (mostly) explains why it's never worked out. But the problem is not the players so much as it's the principle, shortcuts to team-building that have killed the Flyers for years. Matthews may be a legit superstar but the Win Now ideology - like the song - remains the same.

But this discussion is academic. Briere knows that teams don't acquire major pieces like Matthews then surround them with rookies and young players. I hope (and predict) that's what we see next year: a roster building on young, hungry players willing to do whatever it takes to win the Cup.

4 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

It may not preclude other moves but it certainly sends the Flyers spiraling down the same stupid Win Now drain, hoping for the quick fix when they should be prioritizing the much harder work developing their own. They won't simply "do both" because they never have.

Thats kind of a defeatists attitude. I get where you are coming from. Most Flyer fans do. But it comes as more of an emotional based POV instead of specific to the current status quo. As Rad points out, the Flyers could make a deal for an impact player without gutting the young stable, and while clearing out the dead weight. Personally, I don't think it sends the signal of "more of the same". Now if they mortgage the farm for some magic beans, the you're spot on. I more lean toward your way of thinking about the Flyers overall, DB as GM strikes me as more of the same. Torts, did not. Recent statements, front office moves and whomever they hire as Pres will give us a better idea of what is really happening. But back to Matthews, that's the kind of player I'd like to see on the Flyers. At least its something to watch

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

20 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

It may not preclude other moves but it certainly sends the Flyers spiraling down the same stupid Win Now drain, hoping for the quick fix when they should be prioritizing the much harder work developing their own. They won't simply "do both" because they never have. You know what they do

People are really giving it to you for this.

I'm going to pile on because I see a difference between starting with a top 5 league talent and building around him versus signing the "best available". 

The theoretical pie in the sky move for Auston Matthews wouldn't be similar at all to adding Hayes to the VeeGees® and paying him like top line talent. 

I know you've seen this team play this season, there's no win now. Not with those players.

But, if a team can start with one of the 5 best forwards in the league? It will surely speed up the rebuild process, both by Matthew's play and his allure around the league could attract other good players. Currently what's the draw for a ++ player to come play for the Flyers?

Matthews would be a draw.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

People are really giving it to you for this.

I'm going to pile on because I see a difference between starting with a top 5 league talent and building around him versus signing the "best available". 

The theoretical pie in the sky move for Auston Matthews wouldn't be similar at all to adding Hayes to the VeeGees® and paying him like top line talent. 

I know you've seen this team play this season, there's no win now. Not with those players.

But, if a team can start with one of the 5 best forwards in the league? It will surely speed up the rebuild process, both by Matthew's play and his allure around the league could attract other good players. Currently what's the draw for a ++ player to come play for the Flyers?

Matthews would be a draw.

other than Bedard, is Matthews better right now then any other draft pick ?

46 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

They won't simply "do both" because they never have.

A major question facing the organization* is whether they are going to do things differently.

47 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

But this discussion is academic.

All of it is.

I've been saying we won't know what's going on until the end of the playoffs, the draft lottery, and the draft.

49 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Briere knows that teams don't acquire major pieces like Matthews then surround them with rookies and young players.

But it's not a bunch of rookies and young players.

Konecny is 26
Provorov is 26

Laughton 28

Tippett 24

Sanheim 27

all of those guys are under contract for at least the next two years (Tippett an RFA) and should be entering their prime. Farabee is going to be 24. Heck, Noah Cates is 24.  The "has to be here" Nick Seeler is 29.

Deslauriers (32) is likely here for another three years.

Couturier is 30

Atkinson is 33

I left out Hayes (30), Deangelo (27), and Ristolainen (28) as we hope to be free of them but that's more than half the roster.

We saw this year that the team has "compete" level growing, but it lacks the "talent" area.

Again, I dont think Matthews will be a Flyer, but do think they would take a look at him if he is available.

• Like 3

@CoachX

I don't know the future, I do know Matthews has scored a lot of goals and a lot of points in his career.

Your question is AM better than Fantilli or Carlsson in 4 years ? No one knows.

Auston has performed at top 5 caliber levels in his career in the NHL.

image.thumb.png.1d1f165823910e8f7995eda5a0bc240d.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CoachX said:

let me ask it this way, and maybe its the same thing, if Matthews was in the draft today, where would he be selected?

He was the clear #1 overall - by a wide margin - in 2016. "Size, creativity, and work ethic."
https://web.archive.org/web/20190906215202/https://bangordailynews.com/2016/06/24/sports/maple-leafs-land-matthews-with-no-1-pick-in-nhl-draft/

If the 18-year-old Matthews with the 18-year-old Matthews' pedigree was in this draft I'd say he's top 3. Not as good as Bedard.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, CoachX said:

So if the Flyers traded for him, he would be the equivalent of a top three pick. Yeah. I'd make a move like that

I am not a hockey expert, but I do play one on a message board.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

other than Bedard, is Matthews better right now then any other draft pick ?

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

@CoachX

I don't know the future, I do know Matthews has scored a lot of goals and a lot of points in his career.

Your question is AM better than Fantilli or Carlsson in 4 years ? No one knows.

Auston has performed at top 5 caliber levels in his career in the NHL.

image.thumb.png.1d1f165823910e8f7995eda5a0bc240d.png

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

@mojo1917

let me ask it this way, and maybe its the same thing, if Matthews was in the draft today, where would he be selected?

Here was AM 1st year stats ....

image.png.9ee8ed1d29c7f83a64485bf7142a1684.png

image.png.c8a8088c9f0e3560df2271af563788d1.png

So as a rookie AM had almost 70 PTS.  Bedard/Fantilli could be in the same breath with AM, nobody know .... but I agree with @radoran...if AM was in this  years draft....he goes top 3 easily.

• Like 1

To add to this...today, Matthews is better than Bedard. Of course Bedard is 17 years old. 

I just think you'd have to do a bit of gutting to acquire him. It's not like Philly is the only team the Leafs would trade him to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

I just think you'd have to do a bit of gutting to acquire him. It's not like Philly is the only team the Leafs would trade him to.

I mean the obvious and signature piece is Hart which you view as an obvious gutting of the team and you're not wrong.

There's not a lot I would give Hart up for and I don't know that I would do the Matthews deal straight up or otherwise.

I don't know that the Flyers have the assets other teams could offer, but they do have something the Leaes desperately need.

If Arizona (whoever) mortgages the farm for him - walk away.

Briere needs to walk into every discussion being willing to walk away. That was Fletcher's problem (one of) that he targeted a player and then overpaid in negotiation.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Good ol Chuck f ucking them one last time out the door...SMFH.

:bonkingheadonwall:

Everything....EVERYTHING he does is wrong. 

I'll always wonder if Cliff bought him his Harvard graduation. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, radoran said:

But it's not a bunch of rookies and young players.

Konecny is 26
Provorov is 26

Laughton 28

Tippett 24

Sanheim 27

all of those guys are under contract for at least the next two years (Tippett an RFA) and should be entering their prime. Farabee is going to be 24. Heck, Noah Cates is 24.  The "has to be here" Nick Seeler is 29.

Deslauriers (32) is likely here for another three years.

to get Matthews the Leafs will understandably want a mega-return and your list will look a lot different if a trade like that happens. For any superstar. How about we forgo the Big Trade for once and just rebuild “the right way?” Of course  there’s more than one right way but the wrong way is to trade for Matthews. 

• Good Post 1