NHL 2022-23 Playoffs RD 1: Boston (A1) vs. Florida (WC2) - (Florida wins series 4-3)

pilldoc

NHL 2022-23 Playoffs RD 1: Boston (A1) vs. Florida (WC2)  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the series?

• Bruins Sweep in 4
    • Bruins in 5
    • Bruins in 6
    • Bruins in 7
    • Panthers Sweep in 4
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 7*

This poll is closed to new votes

Schedule TBD

All discussion here.

(1) Boston Bruins vs. (WC2) Florida Panthers

Game 1: | Monday, April 17, 7:30 p.m. | at BOS | TV: ESPN
Game 2: | Wednesday, April 19, 7:30 p.m. | at BOS | TV: ESPN
Game 3: | Friday, April 21, 7:30 p.m. | at FLA | TV: TNT
Game 4: | Sunday, April 23, 3:30 p.m. | at FLA | TV: TNT
Game 5*: | Wednesday, April 26, TBD | at BOS | TV: TBD
Game 6*: | Friday, April 28, TBD | at FLA | TV: TBD
Game 7*: | Sunday, April 30, TBD | at BOS | TV: TB

Edited by pilldoc

Wont' be a sweep .... Panthers get lucky and win 1 game maybe 2 iof they are really lucky.

Panthers are simply overmatched here ....

Yes .... Linus Ullmark leads NHL goaltenders in nearly every traditional goaltending measure this season including wins, goals-against average and save percentage.

However .... Ullmark’s only playoff experience was last season when he played poorly against Carolina and lost the net for the rest of the series after Game 2.

Boston has a tremendous team in front of him and besides, even if Ullmark falters a bit....Swayman won 24 games as a steller backup.

Only way the Panthers stay in this is if Bob stands on his head. However,  Florida’s goaltending has not been good enough for most of the year. Sergei Bobrovsky is capable of getting on mini-heaters but he’s very erratic and has generally struggled more than he’s excelled.

The wild card is Alex Lyon who has emerged as a recent hero. The 30-year-old was called up in late March and went 6-2-1 with a .930 save percentage to push the Panthers into the playoffs.  Could Lyon see some starts of Bob goes south quickly?

Boston in 5 .....

Edited by pilldoc

Brad Marchand and Matthew Tkachuk in the same series. Cheap shots will be at bargain basement and the trash talk will flow. Is it possible to referee a series like this half-decently?

6 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Brad Marchand and Matthew Tkachuk in the same series. Cheap shots will be at bargain basement and the trash talk will flow. Is it possible to referee a series like this half-decently?

Florida has to know its a long shot to beat this Boston team.  They wont. Boston in 4

• Like 1

2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs: Bruins vs. Panthers 1st-round preview

Boston carries weight of expectation after historic regular season; goalie decision key for Florida

https://www.nhl.com/news/2023-nhl-playoffs-boston-vs-florida-1st-round-preview/c-343589972?tcid=tw_news_content_id

Will win if …

Bruins: They do exactly what they've done all regular season. They have earned a spot in the conversation as the best team in regular-season history. But, as has been the case in the past, that doesn't necessarily mean anything in the playoffs. The Bruins need to be confident but not overconfident, and simply need to play the way they have been.

Panthers: If the goaltending holds. The Panthers have gotten a surprising boost from Lyon, but he has never played in the playoffs and doesn't have a lot of experience overall. He's a journeyman, but any goalie can get hot, and if he does the Panthers have a shot. They need to be able to rely on either him or Bobrovsky, who comes in with 51 games of playoff experience (46) starts and a bit more of a resume to his name.

• Like 1

Goalies: :bruins:

Defense: :bruins:

Offense: :panthers:

Special teams (PP/PK): :bruins:

Coaching: :bruins:

Mental: :bruins:

Experience: :bruins:

Robustness: :panthers:

Depth: :bruins:

I'd like this one to be the upset, but I'll still with the reason. I still don't think Boston will go to the end, but it won't be in this round.

Boston in 6.

10 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Huge upset, panthers shock the world 

10 hours ago, Math said:

May the Gods of hockey hear you. If there's an upset in round 1, I'm picking this one.

On 4/15/2023 at 11:10 AM, Samifan said:

I know it won’t happen this round but I am pulling for the president’s trophy jinx this entire playoff. 

Yeah I agree this should be one of the upsets this round just because of the Presidents trophy jinx alone...I voted Florida in 6...

Edited by Villella McMeans
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Huge upset, panthers shock the world 

Would not shock me at all....

What an amazing season for the bruins, but you know when i'll get excited, when there is 5 seconds left on the SCF in the bruins are up by the goals, then i'll smile. Until then, after over 40 yrs of watching hockey i (as with most of us) have been around long enough to know anything can/will happen.

On paper, this series should a a bruins wash...but a FLA team with a red hot Lyons, and a Bob, plus a Tkachuk, you never know when the upset is coming.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

I'll still say bruins in 5 though...

1996 wings set the record for points and simply coasted the second half, kept saying they could/would turn it on come playoffs. They didn't, losing badly to a hungry nasty Colorado team in WCF. What I have witnessed from Boston the second half reminds me so very much of that wings team. And Florida has been playing playoff hockey the last month just to get in. IDK man, I just feel the bruins are primed for an upset but it may be my pathologic hatred for every new England sports team......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

1996 wings set the record for points and simply coasted the second half, kept saying they could/would turn it on come playoffs. They didn't, losing badly to a hungry nasty Colorado team in WCF. What I have witnessed from Boston the second half reminds me so very much of that wings team. And Florida has been playing playoff hockey the last month just to get in. IDK man, I just feel the bruins are primed for an upset but it may be my pathologic hatred for every new England sports team......

Touche....

I won't disagree, i mean what are the chances that this team wins the whole thing. That is why i refuse to be emotionally involved. I just want to good hockey, and if a bruins cup is in the plans, so be it.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Math said:

Goalies: :bruins:

Defense: :bruins:

Offense: :panthers:

Special teams (PP/PK): :bruins:

Coaching: :bruins:

Mental: :bruins:

Experience: :bruins:

Robustness: :panthers:

Depth: :bruins:

I'd like this one to be the upset, but I'll still with the reason. I still don't think Boston will go to the end, but it won't be in this round.

Boston in 6.

I’ll take Seattle for the upset 

• Like 1

Panthers like where they're 'at mentally' ahead of series with Bruins

Florida qualified as second wild card from East after winning Presidents' Trophy last season

https://www.nhl.com/news/florida-panthers-head-into-matchup-against-top-seeded-bruins-with-some-scars/c-343598696?tid=343199104

Bruins aware historic season won't guarantee winning Stanley Cup

Must learn lesson from 1995-96 Red Wings, 2018-19 Lightning, who lost in playoffs after each won 62 games

https://www.nhl.com/news/bruins-historic-season-no-guarantee-winning-stanley-cup/c-343565170?tid=343199104

Believe it or not, I don't think this series is as cut n dry as a Boston win as it appears....as it SHOULD be.
Bruins have been dominant since the drop of the puck at season's start and simply haven't looked back.

Record setting season in wins..... dominant offense, tough, stout defense, very good goaltending, fantastic overall team speed, and led by two guys in Bergeron and Marchand who will NOT be phased playing on the big stage and will likely ensure their calmness permeates the locker room.

So what is the problem?
Florida finished the season hot. At one time, not that long ago, I considered them a legit team on the rise who seemed to be taking incremental steps forward, even though it seems they regressed some this year.
They should have been in the championship conversation since the beginning, but it took them all season to become relevant once again.

So I don't think Boston will waltz through as easily through this group as it looks like they might.
President's Trophy Curse seems to be a real thing, and past 60+ win teams have seen grisly ends to their seasons in the very first round.

But...... while I don't think Boston cuts right through Florida, they DO buck the negative trends of the most recent 60+ win teams, and do take the series.... in 6 games.
Florida just bleeds too many chances against and it will take a really tough, responsible defense to stymie the Bruins....something I just don't believe they have.
Plus Bob in net for them, well, even though he was the goalie in net who took down the last 60+ win team, will be hard pressed to match that once again, especially given the deficiencies Florida has in defending in front of him.

Would love to be wrong, but yea, Bruins continue on to meet the winner of the TB-TOR set (hoping it is the Bolts, because ^%$# the Leaves®), and Florida will have to wait one more year to continue their upward movement.

If Florida somehow surprises everyone and wins the series, this is how they will do it...

They will sweep Boston 4-0. All four games will end tied 0-0 in regulation, and Florida wins each game 1-0 in multiple overtime periods! 

I think Florida wins game two, as they take advantage of a rare discipline breakdown by the Bruins, and beat them with the power play. Then, the Bruins wake up and whoop the Panthers in 5.