Makar's hit on McCann - One Game Suspension

Brewin Flames

Avalanche star Cale Makar becomes unlikely villain after hit on Kraken’s Jared McCann

Kate Shefte 
By 
Seattle Times staff reporter

Climate Pledge Arena’s first public hockey enemy No. 1 was an unlikely candidate.

Avalanche superstar Cale Makar put a late and hard-to-watch hit on sole Kraken 40-goal scorer Jared McCann, who left Game 4 after 3:38 of ice time and didn’t return. It was initially called a major, but officials downgraded it to a minor for interference to the disbelief of the home crowd.

“They felt there was a puck in play at the battle,” Kraken coach Dave Hakstol said.

“I disagreed with that, obviously, as I looked at it live, and for sure looking at it after(ward).”

The Kraken’s Daniel Sprong scored on the ensuing power play, but that wasn’t enough justice for those in the stands. The Kraken faithful enthusiastically booed Makar when he hopped over the boards, every time he touched the puck and sometimes just because they didn’t like the look of him.

NHL PLAYOFFS KRAKEN VS. AVALANCHE

Morgan Geekie celebrates his third period goal with teammate Justin Schultz and Alex Wennberg, who scored the second goal for Seattle.  (Dean Rutz / The Seattle Times)

The better payback came when Jordan Eberle scored through Makar during an overtime power play, sealing a 3-2 Kraken victory and sending the best-of-seven series back to Denver tied at two games apiece.

Edited by radoran

At first it looks like a clean shoulder to shoulder hit......

image.png.caadc2f5c349f272127d38238c783c08.png

I can see where the natives get restless as it appears Makars arm moves up toward the head area.

image.png.9107dd5e372989d8d09dd0a34fe74224.png

and they as the hit follows through McCann's body get twisted awkwardly  into the boards.

image.png.d28af36b050bd48e2536da7188522528.png

It was a hard hit.  I don't think it was a dirty hit as that is not Makar's style or game.

If McCann is facing the boards then  it is a different story.  I don't see that being the case here.

I don't think it was a major penalty either.  Now mind you...we have the benefit of rewinding and rewatching over and over again in slo-mo.  The fans and refs don't have that luxury.  I can certainly understand why the Seattle fans are upset. 

37 minutes ago, radoran said:

The only problem with it being "clean" is that McCann is not eligible to be hit in that situation.

Nor is he guarding himself expecting to be hit. if anything he figured play was dead and was completely not expecting and thus, not protecting himself.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, radoran said:

The only problem with it being "clean" is that McCann is not eligible to be hit in that situation.

you know I looked at the official NHL ruling on boarding .....

Rule 603 Boarding

“Boarding is the action where a player, pushes, trips, or body checks an opponent causing them to go dangerously into the boards. This includes: Accelerating through the check to a player who is in a vulnerable position, driving an opponent excessively into the boards with no focus on or intent to play the puck, or any check delivered for the purpose of punishment or intimidation that causes the opponent to go unnecessarily and excessively into the boards.”

The only reason I said it "appeared" to be clean was because McCann is NOT facing into the boards and by his body position, knows he is about to receive a hit.  However, reading further on regarding the boarding rule ......

There are a few actions that a player can commit that will lead to the referee calling a Boarding penalty every time. They are:

• Violently contacting defenseless player
  • Back turned away from the play
  • No longer has the puck
  • Hitter has no intentions of playing the puck
  • Contact into the boards
  • Initial contact to the head

In addition .... it is up to the referee to determine the severity of a Boarding play. There are four different outcomes when this situation occurs.

1. If a player wasn’t hit hard, but was hit from behind and was deemed defenseless, the referee will usually call a Minor Penalty (two minutes).
  2. If the hit on a defenseless player is more severe, the referee can call a Major Penalty (five minutes).
  3. A Major Penalty plus game misconduct (ten-minute penalty and not allowed to play the rest of the current game).
  4. A Match Penalty. Match penalties will usually be called if it is apparent that a player had the intent to injure the opposing player.

As I also mentioned I can also why the Seattle fans are upset .......

I am curious to know the reason why the initial call was downgraded.  I don't think it was a major penalty as I mentioned above, McCann was sideways when he was initially hit.  However, after rereading the rules and outcomes, I can easily see why it "should" be a 5 minute major and no more.

Just my 2 cents .....

3 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Nor is he guarding himself expecting to be hit. if anything he figured play was dead and was completely not expecting and thus, not protecting himself.

You know what ....rewatching it again, it appears to me the whistle was late ..... no excuse and I can see your pov ......

I can see a 5 minute major here but not  suspension worthy IMO.

I can be persuaded to change my mind ...... again ...I don't have a horse in this race ....

4 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

you know I looked at the official NHL ruling on boarding .....

Which is great, but the call was interference because he can't make that contact with the player.

I don't believe Makar had "intent" to injure, but he did injure the player who just happens to be the leading scorer.

You get that sort of stuff with playoff intensity, but it's still a penalty and I would certainly consider a suspension.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, radoran said:

Which is great, but the call was interference because he can't make that contact with the player.

I disagree with the interference call ...if anything it should be boarding ...

I don't believe Makar had "intent" to injure, but he did injure the player who just happens to be the leading scorer.

agree ......

You get that sort of stuff with playoff intensity, but it's still a penalty and I would certainly consider a suspension.

you are not wrong here .....  an argument certainly can be made .... in years past we have certainly seen more egregious hits and no suspension comes about from said hit.  .... but I can certainly see your POV.

Regardless of outcome ....IT IS a dangerous hit.  No doubt about it.

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

I think that's a ******** play from Makar.

The puck is clearly out of play,  the play is over, there is no puck anywhere near McCann.

I can't understand why this is being debated dirty vs clean.

It's ****** horrible.

The debate should be how many games?

I like the contact aspect of hockey, it is a contact sport, this play is wreckless and had no bearing the actual playing of the game.

Puck at McCann's feet? hit him, McCann has the puck ? hit him, puck is in the netting, don't hit him. It's pretty simple.

It was cheap, dirty, dangerous. 

It would be too bad if someone were to sweep Makar's leg at some point going forward....

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Post 1

That hit was borderline Dale Hunter on Pierre Turgeon level of dirty, and I like Cale Makar. The Kraken organization has ever right to be furious. I fully expect a $5,000 fine or something which falls ridiculously short of what he should get for that.

• Like 2

My first though upon seeing it at full speed...

Dale Hunter Esq.

However, looked to be shoulder to shoulder and not at "dirty", as some want it to be.

Textbook def of interference to me, and i think the max fine is coming.

• Like 1

How can it be interference when the play is over? You can't be interfered with in that instance. Any discussion about legalilty should be thrown out. Since when can you just level a guy when the game in not in play?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

Perhaps it's just me....but the whistle had not blown yet.

If you look down in the lower right corner you can see the official has the "intent" to blow the whistle and it's like he waits for the hit to happen before blowing it.

Weird.

That hit's the definition of at least a major penalty.

35 minutes ago, Math said:

I'm still surprised that no Kraken player ran over Makar after the hit.

At first glance, absolutely.

But, then, you're up 1-0, at home, down 2-1 in the series, less than ten minutes into the first period.

Do you give up the instigator power play there? Rantanen scored both goals on the power play for the Avs.

I will say they best not have Makar out on the ice with time winding down in a series clinching game. Bad Things can happen.

monty python wink GIF

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1