ESPN's Take on the 2023-24 Flyers

Howie58

Greetings:

Here is ESPN's take on next season's league standings:

https://phillyhockeynow.com/2023/06/17/espn-doesnt-think-much-of-flyers-going-into-next-season/

Unsurprisingly, we are in the bottom five.  It is probably not too far off.  I could see .500 as the ceiling, but unlikely.  I guess the one advantage is that opponents may come into the season taking us too lightly.  On the other hand, likely player turnover could hurt performance.  

My wish when next season ends is the Flyers to be dead last. Hoping for anything more is foolish. Draft, draft, draft. IF Danny B can snag a couple more 1sts this year and next and they hit on those picks the Flyers might actually be an attractive place to play in the nearer future. Patching this lineup to try and get to .500 is assinine.

Draft, draft, draft.

Well, they've got a couple of new jerseys out now, so I'm really excited for the team to be relevant on the Philadelphia "landscape", again. It looks like the franchise is really learning what the true fans, really want. More merch to buy. :eyeroll: 

• Good Post 1

58 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Was done with it a decade ago. 

And yet they just keep striving for it.

If the execs and Alumni Yacht Club really cared about winning, they would have (a) tanked this season and not hired Tortorella. (b) traded their bloated and dumb, contracts for whatever they could get, and (c) hired the most qualified people to start a complete rebuild..oh and just for fun..(d) not tried to market another dumb jersey, so they could sell it to gullible fans, who don't see the big picture. Valerie Camillo leaves, and now you have more extraneous marketing nonsense instead of fixing the real problem, the lack of a good on-ice product.

More mediocre (at best) indeed.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Well, they've got a couple of new jerseys out now, so I'm really excited for the team to be relevant on the Philadelphia "landscape", again. It looks like the franchise is really learning what the true fans, really want. More merch to buy. :eyeroll: 

And now I know why I rec'd an email the other day for 90% off all Flyers and Sixers merchandise at the Wells Fargo Center.  Can wait to spend another couple hundred dollars on a new Flyers jersey, not!!!!!!

• Like 1

I have no problem with being in the bottom for a few years.  But I would hope we aren't a Buffalo that's terrible for ages.  If memory serves, Edmonton had a stretch like that as well...umpteen high picks over a long stretch and no demonstrable results.  I agree with Briere--the Devils may be a good model/example: Three to five years of poor play but things coming together nicely after the stretch.

I agree with Fan4ever that the hype over the jerseys makes little sense.  Worse still, they want to incorporate the past "glory days."  This team has to recognize that the 2004-05 strike was the beginning of a new era...one they have never adjusted to.  They need to think ahead. Burnt orange versus other...WTF.  The same holds for the LeClair hire.  It isn't his Flyers connection that bugs me.  It's his connection to the pre-Strike era.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Howie58 said:

But I would hope we aren't a Buffalo that's terrible for ages. 

The Flyers have won one playoff round in 10 years.

That's not "good"

3 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I agree with Fan4ever that the hype over the jerseys makes little sense. 

There was similar hype when they went "back" to the "original orange" - but it's all from the team.

Now we have a new era. Before they were fuelled by Philly. Bring it to Broad. Blah blah blah.

I'm not seeing a lot of fan excitement - despite the fact fans have been demanding for years to put advertising on jerseys because the NHL never makes enough money.

They can't market their way out of their current situation. They can only play themselves out of it.

• Like 2

A new Era as we are loosing, the Inspectors are giving us a failing grade, though we are getting new suits.

This Melting Pot Soup, of new alumni's, getting hired could be our Teams way out of this pollution we are stuck in.

Hopefully our players can weather this storm and not all end up leaving for greener pastures.

This pollution needs to end in our organization. "A new era" has to get it right or we loose our Barbaloots.