2023 NHL Draft: Live Draft Thread Discussion

pilldoc

I'm not worried about Michkov. He's not Russian, he's a Belarusian, so he owes no military time. His agent said that they had a great meeting with the Flyers and Washington's GM just said that they didn't meet with Michkov either. I'm excited about the Michkov selection.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Not only is Philly getting a good player, but, apparently, the Flyers have PO'ed the Washington Capitals, and THAT has to be a good thing for Flyer fans, no? :rolleyes: 

two for the price of one! :) 

?The TV guys never stop talking about the NHL combine. It's alright; don't get me wrong. But in a sport played on skates, they don't spend a second of the combine wearing them. It mostly boils down to a body contest and a bunch of things that don't have much of anything to do with what makes the best players what they are.

The best player in this league's history would have been laughed out of the room.

• Like 1

Just now, JR Ewing said:

?The TV guys never stop talking about the NHL combine. It's alright; don't get me wrong. But in a sport played on skates, they don't spend a second of the combine wearing them. It mostly boils down to a body contest and a bunch of things that don't have much of anything to do with what makes the best players what they are.

The best player in this league's history would have been laughed out of the room.

Would you rather they keep talking about Vegas Stanley Cup?

Just now, JR Ewing said:

Sorta like when I trained regularly in Tae Kwon Do as a teen and in my early 20's....all these people come in 
"I ran track"....or "I swam miles", etc, etc...

Has NOTHING to do with what you will be doing (Tae Kwon Do CAN be very physically exhausting even for fit people who aren't used to it) at the dojang.

But, I guess the combine gives people something to talk about. :) 

• Like 1

Willander to the Nucks

The Canucks have selected Rogle Jr. (Sweden) defenseman Tom Willander with the No. 11 pick.

The Athletic NHL Draft analyst Corey Pronman’s scouting report: Willander's skating is his main asset for the NHL; he is one of the best skaters in the draft. He has a quick, powerful skating stride and can push the pace up ice with the puck. Willander's skating allows him to close on checks well and be a quality defender especially when combined with the fact he has some physicality in his game. I wasn't always sold on his offensive touch. I don't see a big-time playmaker as a pro, but Willander has good enough skill and vision to move pucks at higher levels well, especially given the space his feet can generate. He has the making of a good two-way top four defenseman.

Pronman's player ranking: No. 15

Edited by pilldoc

10 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Don't have TV coverage, but loved wire photo of Arizona Coyotes execs arriving like a bachelor party for the draft in snazzy and matching maroon suits!

Came in like clowns and drafted like clowns…

Edited by IllaZilla
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Coyotes have selected Yaroslavl Jr. (Russia) winger Danil But with the No. 12 pick.

The Athletic NHL Draft analyst Corey Pronman’s scouting report: But is a large, highly skilled forward who can score. He makes a lot of crafty plays with the puck in small areas, and with his massive wingspan he's able to pull pucks past a lot of checkers. He can both make and finish plays well, but he's more of a goal scorer with a shot that can score from range. But isn't blazing fast and his stride technique is just OK, but for a 6-foot-5 guy he can motor up the ice quite well, has a strong first step and he'll be able to power his way to the net off rushes at higher levels. He gives a solid effort and is often involved in the play. Even though I don't see a high-end trait other than his size, But checks every box and projects to be a major part of an NHL lineup.

Pronman's player ranking: No. 9

• Like 1