PENGUINS PREVIEW WILL KARLSSON MAKE THEM A CONTENDER AGAIN

yave1964

PREVIOUS SEASON 40-31-11 91 Points, missed playoffs by one point with a fatal disastrous loss in the seasons final game to the Blackhawks. minus 2 goal differential

ADDITIONS Well start with Karlsson who brings 100 points on the blueline to a team in need of offense. Ryan Graves is as underrated a defensive blueliner as the game has. Reilly Smith joins the middle six. Noel Acciari and Lars Eller help solidify what was a very weak 4th line. Andreas Johnsson will be given a chance to replace Zucker. Nedjelkovic is the new backup goalie. Lots of additional depth pieces like Nieto and Pitlick join the club.

DEPARTURES Petry is gone to Detroit via Montreal. Dumoulin and Rutta are also gone from the back end. Granlund was moved out to bring in Karlsson. Zucker is now in Arizona. DeSmith is a Hab. Heinen, Bonino and Kulikov all looked old and slow and all are gone. 

KIDS IN THE SYSTEM Sam Poulin is about it, a winger with 3rd line skill at best who may make the team unless they find a way to sign Tatar. Pittsburgh cupboard is bare. There is nothing in the system even close to playing in the NHL. 

SO ALL THESE MOVES ARE THEY CUP CONTENDERS AGAIN? AFTER ALL, THEY MISSED THE PLAYOFFS BY ONLY ONE POINT

Man i want to say yes, i really do. I believe they are better than last year but the problem is several other clubs are as well. This oer the hill gang has about a three year window if everything breaks right, Letang, Crosby and Malkin are all in their own ways showing signs of age, Karlsson is right in the same group. 

They are better, but so are several other clubs. I think they will fight to the last week of the season against Boston and Buffalo for the final playoff spot and fall just short with Boston having just enough to send Pittsburgh home without a playoff spot for the second straight year. It is now a young mans game built around speed and youth, Pittsburgh is the opposite and IMHO the Karlsson trade and resigning Jarry to a five year extention will prove to be mistakes. Painfully close but just short. Again.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

I don't think so! The Penguins last year didn't seem to  want to make it to the post season. I honestly believe they wanted a early tee time. There wasn't much urgency in there last 2 games against Chicago and Columbus!  They flat out quit against the Blackhawks. 

5 hours ago, yave1964 said:

PREVIOUS SEASON 40-31-11 91 Points, missed playoffs by one point with a fatal disastrous loss in the seasons final game to the Blackhawks. minus 2 goal differential

ADDITIONS Well start with Karlsson who brings 100 points on the blueline to a team in need of offense. Ryan Graves is as underrated a defensive blueliner as the game has. Reilly Smith joins the middle six. Noel Acciari and Lars Eller help solidify what was a very weak 4th line. Andreas Johnsson will be given a chance to replace Zucker. Nedjelkovic is the new backup goalie. Lots of additional depth pieces like Nieto and Pitlick join the club.

DEPARTURES Petry is gone to Detroit via Montreal. Dumoulin and Rutta are also gone from the back end. Granlund was moved out to bring in Karlsson. Zucker is now in Arizona. DeSmith is a Hab. Heinen, Bonino and Kulikov all looked old and slow and all are gone. 

KIDS IN THE SYSTEM Sam Poulin is about it, a winger with 3rd line skill at best who may make the team unless they find a way to sign Tatar. Pittsburgh cupboard is bare. There is nothing in the system even close to playing in the NHL. 

SO ALL THESE MOVES ARE THEY CUP CONTENDERS AGAIN? AFTER ALL, THEY MISSED THE PLAYOFFS BY ONLY ONE POINT

Man i want to say yes, i really do. I believe they are better than last year but the problem is several other clubs are as well. This oer the hill gang has about a three year window if everything breaks right, Letang, Crosby and Malkin are all in their own ways showing signs of age, Karlsson is right in the same group. 

They are better, but so are several other clubs. I think they will fight to the last week of the season against Boston and Buffalo for the final playoff spot and fall just short with Boston having just enough to send Pittsburgh home without a playoff spot for the second straight year. It is now a young mans game built around speed and youth, Pittsburgh is the opposite and IMHO the Karlsson trade and resigning Jarry to a five year extention will prove to be mistakes. Painfully close but just short. Again.

They gave up to much for Karlsson! I  wanted them to keep the 2 1st round picks. In hopes they would pan out so the Pens could build a team that would compete for a Cup or 2.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I think when your top players are 37, 36, 36 and 33, 4 best of 7s after an 82 game season is going to be pretty tough to contend in. 

I think we saw some of that in the Bruins last post season.

Totally agree!

• Like 1

On 8/31/2023 at 11:54 AM, yave1964 said:

I agree, but They show their age funny.

Crosby is scoring and has all the same metrics as ever.

Malkin just had his best offensive season in 5 years.

Karlsson just had a career year for points

Letang is the one I worry for healthwise. But Karlsson was basically insurance for this possibility

• Like 1

On 8/31/2023 at 5:41 PM, notfondajane said:

They gave up to much for Karlsson! I  wanted them to keep the 2 1st round picks. In hopes they would pan out so the Pens could build a team that would compete for a Cup or 2.

You only gave up 1 first round pick and gave us a ton of cap dumps mate.

you gave montreal a 2nd to take Petry

8 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I agree, but They show their age funny.

Crosby is scoring and has all the same metrics as ever.

Malkin just had his best offensive season in 5 years.

Karlsson just had a career year for points

Letang is the one I worry for healthwise. But Karlsson was basically insurance for this possibility

Ok, showing age is an overstatement BUT it is playing Russian roulette with all the mid thirties stars. Any given year any of the four could fall off the face of the earth. Agreed Letang would be my first bet but of the other three I would not bet on all three scoring as many points as last year. In fact I would bet against it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

You only gave up 1 first round pick and gave us a ton of cap dumps mate.

you gave montreal a 2nd to take Petry

I would have kept that 1st rounder. I would have like to see another pick from Montreal come our way. Unless I missed something?