Hurricanes preview will they break through and win the cup?

yave1964

FINAL RECORD 52-21-9 111 Points, edged out the Devils by a point to win division. Easily bested the Islanders in the first round, exposed the Devils in an easy five game series then were exposed themselves in four straight by the Panthers in Eastern Conference finals. plus 53 goal differential

NEW FACES Orlov signed a lucrative one year deal bring his brand of solid nasty defense to the club that was already strong on the back end. Bunning left Toronto and signed as a free agent. Tony DeAngelo came aboard for the bottom pair and second PP QB. Brendan Lemieux brings his nasty 4th line presence to the team. 

MOVING OUT Ghostisbehere left to take his skills to Detroit. A bunch of old vets, Stastny, De Haan, Pacioretty, Stepan and Kase are long gone. Puljujarvi was not invited back as well

KIDS ON THE RISE the Canes will not have an AHL team this year as the Chicago Wolves have went independent. The Canes will loan players t Europe, the ECHL and to other organizations. Pyotr Kchetkov will tend net somewhere but likely not in Carolina until injuries force a recall, solid if a bit overrated prospect. Nobody else will help much this year.

IS THIS THE YEAR THEY PUSH THROUGH AND WIN THE CUP? I dont see them doing that, although they might be slightly better. DeAngelo and Ghost are a push, Bunting is a tremendous imrpovement over Stastny, Orlov is a great get. Plus they resigned all their own free agents who they wanted to return. It was a very solid offseason. Plus Svechnikov should return healthy.

One look at the division and you can see they have a big three in the Rangers/Devils/Canes. you could make the case that all three will be better this coming season.

I think Carolina comes in second, bests the Devils and loses to the eventual Eastern Conference champ Rangers, I have been critical in the past of Don Waddell as a GM but you must give credit, he had one hell of an offseason I just think they are still short a scorer or two and with the cap situation that is not likely to change unless they move out Slavin or Pesce and their contract. Solid team, 2nd in Division and possible cup contender i just dont believe they get past the Rangers.

As one of the bunch of Jerks, I think the Canes are a more complete team compared to the Devils and Rangers. So, I think the Canes win the division again. I think they are better down the middle than both those teams, and I add, J Staal may be one of the most underappreciated centers in the league. However, it would not surprise me to see the Rangers winning the division, basically because of Shesterkin (a game changer). Canes, by adding Orlov and Tony D. only makes them better and a little more physical along with Lemieux's and Bunting's addition. Canes fall in Stanley play has been explained as a lack of physicality and the O power play going extinct. I think they made good moves to cover both needs. One key is Svech's health when he returns and can he pick up where he left off? Another key (IMHO) is, can Necas and or Jarvis and or Dury take a major step forward? If these are positive, I think not only do the Canes win the division, conference, and the cup.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

6 hours ago, CamWardo said:

As one of the bunch of Jerks, I think the Canes are a more complete team compared to the Devils and Rangers. So, I think the Canes win the division again. I think they are better down the middle than both those teams, and I add, J Staal may be one of the most underappreciated centers in the league. However, it would not surprise me to see the Rangers winning the division, basically because of Shesterkin (a game changer). Canes, by adding Orlov and Tony D. only makes them better and a little more physical along with Lemieux's and Bunting's addition. Canes fall in Stanley play has been explained as a lack of physicality and the O power play going extinct. I think they made good moves to cover both needs. One key is Svech's health when he returns and can he pick up where he left off? Another key (IMHO) is, can Necas and or Jarvis and or Dury take a major step forward? If these are positive, I think not only do the Canes win the division, conference, and the cup.

Welcome.

Man I agree with Staal, he is as underappreciated and underrated as Marc was overrated. He does everything well, except score. 

I wrote I like the moves, I think waddell is an overrated GM but he had one hell of a summer. Carolina is a solid team, I just feel they cannot match the skill in Jersey and the Rangers IMHO are a hair better. Agreed Jarvis or especially Necas could take a big next step. BUT

Svechnikov at this point is solid but injury prone and not the elite talent he once appeared to be.

Terravainen is hot and cold, with more cold streaks than hot last season.

Burns another year older. Stastny was a adequate   middle six center not replaced. Bunting put up good numbers on a line with Marner and Matthews now he is likely with Necas and Fast.

Please don't get me wrong, I love the fun the canes have brought turning into a consistent 100 point plus team, I would have liked them better if they had pulled the trigger on a deal around Nylander and Pesce which was rumored much of the summer. I like the club but don't feel they adequately addressed their major need of offense. Necas led the team in scoring but was 58th in the NHL. Love the insane defensive depth, the goaltending, Staal, but the top six scares absolutely nobody. Until they add to that area I feel they are near elite but likely the third best team in Division.

Yave- don't disagree with the tenor of your post. I could see Rangers, Carolina and Jersey but, on paper, I don't see NJ jumping the Canes. NJ is scary good offensively, but IMHO the Canes are better on the back end and I'd take the Andersen/Raanta duo over Vanecek & Schmid (if they are still the duo??). Canes, as you noted, exposed that in playoffs. As for the Rangers, Zibanejad and Kreider are straight up "Canes killers" and Mika is another tremendously underrated player. Love Trocheck and hated he left the Canes.  Where I think Canes have an advantage over the Rangers is our secret weapon: (no, not Niclas Wallin) but Rod Brind'Amour. Laviolette is an awesome coach but Rod seems to have an "it". We have a saying here: in "Rod we trust". So, I see either the Rangers or Canes at top and really think Canes can survive. Having the first seed in playoffs though is sometimes NOT a good thing as you usually play a hot, desperate team.

I too wanted the Nylander deal to happen and I think there were Petterson rumors early on too, that would have been a great addition. Keeping Pesce though can't be a bad thing (although I think he may have the worst percentage of shots getting either through or actually being on target when it does get past defenders) 🙂.  I think he is always shooting for sticks and not goals, but what do I know? Not sure I agree with "top 6 doesn't scare anyone", in part. They certainly don't intimidate physically, but I think coaches fear them especially in Carolina when they have matchup problems. It is certainly truer come playoffs when they play very physical teams (i.e., Florida manhandling them in playoffs). I don't agree that Svech may not be an elite talent he once appeared to be. Leaving aside that we haven't seen him since the injury, that YOUNG man is an awesome talent and I'd say elite. A true power forward, plays both ends and can drive play. I don't think that will change except as he learns more he will only get better. The most interesting thing about Svech is how the refs handle him. I know I'm biased, but, he gets more lame, unfair calls against him than anyone I can recall. We here in Carolina can't figure it out. Maybe he talks to much trash, but it remains a mystery. In fact, Carolina as a team gets an unusually large number of bogus calls. Carolina is always one of the least penalized teams but the number of calls that are "questionable" is high and it drives Rod and Caniacs Nation absolutely insane. It may be a response to the need for officials to make the same number of calls against both teams in a game.  This is particularly true when they play the Rangers, which may be one reason to pick Rangers if they meet Canes in playoffs.

Going to be a fun season. I enjoy the discussion.

Peace

• Like 2

@CamWardo

Great post.

Welcome to the forum, kind of curious what brought you here, glad to see a Cane fan.

This forum was established by Flyer fans and Wild fans kind of joined after they had a problem with another forum that they were with. There are a few dozen of us who are fans of other clubs who are welcome with open arms. We have a bunch of guys (and a few ladies) who are big fantasy geeks as well.

Agreed the Devils have BIG problems in net. If Hellboy comes over from the Jets midseason as rumored not sure if they can be stopped, Devils have the young talent to offer Winnpeg for him if he as rumored does not wish to resign. 

I absolutely love Rod as a coach, they are disciplined and talented and play a team game. I mean ZERO disrespect with Svech, he is a talented two way player but he came into the league with many thinkng he would be the 'next Ovie' which he clearly is not. Taking nothing from his game, but i think he will be considered a mild disappointment until his first 50 goal season. It could be worse, my Wings drafted his brother who was as big a bust as we have ever had until we drafted Zadina, lol.

Anyway, should be a great season, glad the players finally reported. Cant wait to see the first preseason games over the weekend!

• Like 1

As for coming to this forum, well not certain, I think I saw your post on the Canes and chances of breaking through. But I really liked the way the site is put together, great job on that, whomever is responsible!

Well, if Helle is picked up, then that changes things tremendously. It means that he will stop being one of my favorite goalies 🙃. But seriously, that guy is a workhorse and tremendously talented and certainly capable of stealing enough games to make a substantial difference in final standings. But then again, many here in Carolina are already big on the Orlov move and his potential impact.

I know you meant no disrespect to Svech and I didn't take it that way.  But, if you thought he had Ovie potential I can see you'd be questioning his promise. I don't recall that type of expectation here. Oh, and by the way, the Caps and the not-so-great 8 (just jealous) are much despised here! Right up there with the Booins and Marchand. However, he is so much more fun to watch than Ovie. See Ovie on powerplay, oh and see Ovie on powerplay. He is exciting, and Rod gives him a lot of freedom, i.e., the Lacross move (the Svechlacross). 

My sister is a big Wings, Larkin, and once Bertuzzi, fan. She bought a Bertuzzi sweater just days before the trade. Also, I lamented that Bertuzzi didn't come here.

Looking forward to the Kings game in the down under!

• Like 2

Bunting and Orlov should help tremendously.  And I always liked Brind'Amour's coaching style.  The guy is a winner and knows how to get results.  If the goaltending holds out, they should win Metropolitan Division if they can get by the Rangers.  But the entire Eastern Conference may be more challenging.  I think Florida, Boston and Toronto will not just roll over easily.  But this team will be in contention again; no doubt about it.

Edited by Mad Dog
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CamWardo said:

I know I'm biased, but, he gets more lame, unfair calls against him than anyone I can recall.

5 hours ago, CamWardo said:

In fact, Carolina as a team gets an unusually large number of bogus calls. Carolina is always one of the least penalized teams but the number of calls that are "questionable" is high and it drives Rod and Caniacs Nation absolutely insane.

Every fan base thinks their team gets too many penalties, more questionable calls, and unfair treatment from the refs.

It's because the number of games they watch of their team is generally exponentially higher than they see of any other teams.

Watch any game and there are questionable calls and players being "targeted" on every team in every league.

:hocky:

Edited by radoran
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 9/15/2023 at 8:26 AM, yave1964 said:

Don Waddell as a GM but you must give credit

His decisions in goal are seeming to be coming back to bite them in the arse...brining back both Andersen and Raanta seems like a bad move their struggles are in net now and they may have to make a move to give them some better insurance there.

At least that is what i am seeing...i can see them trying to find someone else besides Raanta.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

His decisions in goal are seeming to be coming back to bite them in the arse...brining back both Andersen and Raanta seems like a bad move their struggles are in net now and they may have to make a move to give them some better insurance there.

At least that is what i am seeing...i can see them trying to find someone else besides Raanta.

As you know, Raanta has always been a capable BACKUP...note I didn't say starter, because I never really believed he was NHL starting material.
Something about the more teams see him, the better they seem to exploit his weaknesses....? Something like that....kinda like Talbot....

But anyways, yea, as a backup, behind a legit solid #1, he is fine, but he has been pressed into duty a bit more, plus his regular trips to the IR list....well, one can see why he shouldn't be THE guy in net for any NHL team.

That all said, I was really surprised the Lightning were able to blow him up the way they did yesterday.
Hanging a snowman on a still-capable NHL goaltender is just...crazy.
And most of it was special teams because I honestly felt the Canes outplayed the Lightning 5 on 5 for most of the game.

Raanta simply didn't make stops when he really needed to.
Off night? Running out of tread? Mental meltdown?
Not sure what happened there, but the Bolts' PP has been lethal all year, and Raanta paid the price for his team being short handed.

Even if the Canes wanted to make a trade....who is really out there?
Talking Stanley Cup capable, because that is the track this team is supposed to be on.

Gibson was said to want out of Anaheim, but then again, he is just as big an ambulance case as Andersen and Raanta!

Waddell is gonna have to pull a goalie rabbit out of his arse.....or have a good enough eye (or a good team of eyes working for him) to identify some netminder in the league who is waiting to be discovered.
Maybe the Bolts can trade them Johansson or Tomkins... :bigteeth: 

• Good Post 1

30 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah that 424% is ugly as fug...

:joe:

I was listening to the Carolina feed during that game, and one of the announcers said (and I paraphrase)... "Never in my time covering the Hurricanes have I seen a goalie finish a game with less than 50% on the saves".

Wow.

7 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I was listening to the Carolina feed during that game, and one of the announcers said (and I paraphrase)... "Never in my time covering the Hurricanes have I seen a goalie finish a game with less than 50% on the saves".

Wow.

It's official: it's the first time that a goalie has a save percentage below .500 while playing the whole game since this statistic is determined (season 1955-1956). Glad I have him in NAHANA lol.

• 3 months later...