Pre-Season Game #2 (9/27) vs NY Islanders

pilldoc

• pilldoc changed the title to Pre-Season Game #2 (9/27) vs NY Islanders

No Atkinson again - he hasn't played or practiced this week ... "LBI" ...

It may be unrelated to his neck injury but it's the Flyers so who knows? It may be a season-ending injury ... by next week it will be a career-ending injury...

Pardon the negativity it's just that the Flyers are not exactly known for expertise in dealing with injuries. I know they made some changes this year in the training and medical departments ... hopefully changes for the better.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 2

One goal on 39 shots. Great goaltending or weak shots? I didn't watch. 

I don't know what to say about Atkinson. This team was offensively challenged with him. It is going to be worse without him.

Poehling will get more ice time with us than his prior teams, with some payoff. Keep fingers crossed.

I guess both goalies played well, with Ersson getting a slight edge from what I've read.

Peace,

Howie

Edited by Howie58

6 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Poehling will get more ice time with us than his prior teams, with some payoff. Keep fingers crossed.

Yep that’s about the size of it, fingers crossed. A Montreal 1R pick back in 2017, alternated years with the Habs and their AHL affiliate until last year when he played 53 games for the Pens. Now for better or worse he’s in the O&B. He turns 25 in January. Is he a diamond in the rough or a perennial AHLer? I guess we’ll find out.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Yep that’s about the size of it, fingers crossed. A Montreal 1R pick back in 2017, alternated years with the Habs and their AHL affiliate until last year when he played 53 games for the Pens. Now for better or worse he’s in the O&B. He turns 25 in January. Is he a diamond in the rough or a perennial AHLer? I guess we’ll find out.

He won't have as much competition at forward on our squad, near-term.  Agreed--we find out.  

8 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

No Atkinson again - he hasn't played or practiced this week ... "LBI" ...

Good Grief.

Is he really part of the "big picture" anyway?.... serious question. I forgot what he is signed for and what we expect him to be playing like in 2-3 years.... (and too lazy/disinterested to go interweb searching) :)

1 hour ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Good Grief.

Is he really part of the "big picture" anyway?.... serious question. I forgot what he is signed for and what we expect him to be playing like in 2-3 years.... (and too lazy/disinterested to go interweb searching) :)

He's got another year after this.

Would be nice to get something from him "in the room" from a leadership perspective and at the trade deadline to bolster the rebuild.

But he's got to actually play to do either of those things.

Of course, the guy we traded for him is now a former Coyote coaching Jaromir Jagr so we've got that going for us.

:hocky:

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

3 hours ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Is he really part of the "big picture" anyway?

Atkinson isn’t part of the long-term, five-years-down-the-road future but that doesn’t make him irrelevant today. What makes him irrelevant is that evidently he’s still not ready to practice and play the game. 

Atkinson knows Tortorella well and Tortorella was probably counting on him to be a trusted voice in the room, maybe smooth out some of Tortorella’s abrasive personality. Atkinson could be invaluable for the Flyers … if he ever gets back on the ice that is. 

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

What makes him irrelevant is that evidently he’s still not ready to practice and play the game. 

No he just hadn't been cleared to play yet.

He has now.

Supposed to play this weekend.

• Thanks 1

Great to see Farabee beat last year's Vezina winner - and beat him clean. Heads up play picking off the Bs pass in the N zone. I like his celebration - he didn't celebrate he looked like "just part of the job" - good stuff.

edit: I think the Bs announcers have a point on Frost's SO goal...I think it's time the league takes @aziz's suggestion and put a defender 10 or 12 steps behind the shooter. The SO is bad enough this lateral near-dead-stop nonsense makes it even more silly.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1