**** 2023-24 MINNESOTA WILD GENERAL SEASON THREAD ****

TropicalFruitGirl26

6 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

What the H was BG thinking giving Dewar away for a 4th?

They probably weren't going to sign him or be able to afford to sign him for what he was going to get in arbitration...

Do really think Dewar would have gotten more than 1.2mil?

I just think he should have been able to get more for a rfa player. 

I guess the return on Duhaime should be considered the robbery of the deadline trades.

1 hour ago, Tomdog said:

Do really think Dewar would have gotten more than 1.2mil?

I just think he should have been able to get more for a rfa player. 

I guess the return on Duhaime should be considered the robbery of the deadline trades.

Maybe. But a 2026 draft pick won’t get paid until at least 2026. 

He got what he could get. The biggest issue was that he shot himself in the foot with the pre season extensions. No reason whatsoever to do that. If Foligno et al had a bad season, he could have traded them. Or signed them for a lot less than he did. But now, he got a bunch of mid round picks for some role players. And we get the same team next season, only a year older. 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

4 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

I didn’t mind the extensions but yea the nmc’s and ntc’s were just idiotic with the cap penalties they are living with. 

He had to give them the NTC/NMC because of the dead cap space. He couldn’t give them as much as other teams salary-wise. So to compensate he throws in the NTC/NMC. 

Maybe if the team had stayed healthy all season long they might have made the Playoffs. Hard to say what they would have done. I don’t think they would have done much. But that’s just me. 

11 hours ago, Tomdog said:

I guess I just don’t see where he really underpaid anyone that required a ntc to make up for the lack of money. 

Maybe he didn't underpay. Could be more of the devil you know.

But I agree with you. Not sure why it was necessary to give out all those NTC's to average players...

16 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

He had to give them the NTC/NMC because of the dead cap space. He couldn’t give them as much as other teams salary-wise. So to compensate he throws in the NTC/NMC. 

Maybe if the team had stayed healthy all season long they might have made the Playoffs. Hard to say what they would have done. I don’t think they would have done much. But that’s just me. 

I don't think it was absolutely necessary to hand out NMC's / NTC's to these players.  That's just his idea of courtesy and because of that courtesy they squandered the opportunity to make more lucrative deals.  Either way, he probably did about as well as could be expected, albeit a bunch of mid-draft selections in 2026.  

@MNSOTA and I will talk about this more in our podcast we're recording this afternoon.  

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I don't think it was absolutely necessary to hand out NMC's / NTC's to these players.  That's just his idea of courtesy and because of that courtesy they squandered the opportunity to make more lucrative deals.  Either way, he probably did about as well as could be expected, albeit a bunch of mid-draft selections in 2026.  

@MNSOTA and I will talk about this more in our podcast we're recording this afternoon.  

Well if you want to take it a step further, what was the rush signing all those players before the off season? It’s not like they’re up and coming rookies or high end scorers.  They’re all pluggers, with the exception of Zuccarello. With the crappy seasons they’ve all had, he probably could have gotten them for half of what he paid. 

The Athletic weighs in on Minnesota's trade deadline moves...

Rating: 5 out of 10

Analysis: It’s hard to score this because it was obviously an underwhelming deadline in the midst of a disappointing season, but it’s exactly what Joe Smith and I forecasted — that Zach Bogosianwould be re-signed and free agents Brandon Duhaime, Connor Dewar and Pat Maroon would likely be dealt for picks. It’s a broken record, but if the training camp extensions to Mats Zuccarello, Marcus Foligno and Ryan Hartman didn’t happen, the deadline would have had a lot more spice. — Michael Russo

I do think BG should get an A+ for the Duhaime trade. In comparison to the rest of the trades, league wide, that had to be the best return for a player of his caliber. 

On 3/9/2024 at 1:11 PM, IllaZilla said:

Well if you want to take it a step further, what was the rush signing all those players before the off season? It’s not like they’re up and coming rookies or high end scorers.  They’re all pluggers, with the exception of Zuccarello. With the crappy seasons they’ve all had, he probably could have gotten them for half of what he paid. 

I said that right after it happened.  

50:10 in the podcast (sorry there is a lot of background noise)

I said this on Oct. 8th.  And another friend Tom pointed out even when cap hell ends, the big space some expect won't really exist as you will have to start issuing raises to other young players.  

Fun fact: Did you know that Khusnutdinov has one of the longest surnames in NHL history?

With 12 characters in his name, Khusnutdinov poses a challenge for all #mnwild merchandise shops.

The league hasn't seen many longer names:
Brackenborough (14), Makhamadullin (13), Vanbiesbrouck (13), Langenbrunner (13).

Khusnutdinov has the same number of letters as Konstantinov or Marchessault.

In fact, there have been longer surnames in the league, but they were compound or two-word names (Forsbacka Karlsson, Lavallee-Smotherman, or Létourneau-Leblond...).

• Good Post 2

48 minutes ago, Jimtown guy said:

Fun fact: Did you know that Khusnutdinov has one of the longest surnames in NHL history?

With 12 characters in his name, Khusnutdinov poses a challenge for all #mnwild merchandise shops.

Brackenborough (14), Makhamadullin (13), Vanbiesbrouck (13), Langenbrunner (13).

In fact, there have been longer surnames in the league, but they were compound or two-word names (Forsbacka Karlsson, Lavallee-Smotherman, or Létourneau-Leblond...).

I think more easier to call him by his first name Marat. Simple and easy.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2024 at 9:26 AM, Jimtown guy said:

I saw that on Twitter.  At what point does the uniform guy have to consider using a smaller font?  

(shrugs)  It makes sense.  Also, Minnesota is really finding its groove now.  Kendall Coyne-Schofield is finding the back of the net with more frequency and Michela Cava, Denisa Krizova are starting to light the lamp too to go along with Taylor Heise and Grace Zumwinkle.  A bit of an interesting choice not to keep Abby Boreen on the club after scoring 4 goals on her two 10-day PTO's.  

Now if they can only get Kelly Pannek and Sofia Kunin to get rolling offensively (goal scoring-wise) they could be pretty scary.  

https://www.thepwhl.com/en/stats/standings

Currently in 2nd place with 1st place Toronto having a game in hand.  Big week this week with games against 3rd place Montreal.  It will either preserve the log jam or Minnesota will open up some space between the two clubs.  

Former Wild forward Chris Simon has died, he was 52 years old.  

Or we simply drafted Rasmus Kumpulainen because we hoped he could develop into a big-bodied center.  He certainly seems more promising than the guy we drafted in the 1st round that year.  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist

Chris Simon a first round draft pick, played for Quebec, Colorado, Chicago, Washington, Islanders, Wild. Five years in Russia, where he was an all-star. Documented suffered from chronic brain injuries. 

21 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Chris Simon a first round draft pick, played for Quebec, Colorado, Chicago, Washington, Islanders, Wild. Five years in Russia, where he was an all-star. Documented suffered from chronic brain injuries. 

(sigh)  Yes and the correlation between himself and many of the other enforcers of the past is hard to deny.  So few of them reach the age of 60 before dying of suicide, substance abuse, mental health deterioration or a combination of all three.    

Jonas Brodin down with injury....means the main component of stability on that blue line will not be available, possibly, for the remainder of the season, pending what is found.

Jonas Brodin To Have MRI, Avoided ACL Injury (prohockeyrumors.com)

I suppose the good news is, according to that link, is he doesn't have an ACL tear which could have repercussions beyond this season, but still, it isn't sounding very good for him to finish out this season.

And frankly, given the state the Wild are in and their less than likely chance to make the post season, I would actually be on board to 'shut him down' for the rest of the season, get him patched up, rehabbed, whatever needs to be done, so he is fresh and strong for next season and not have whatever lingering injury nagging him for the next few years.

Likely means Goligoski will once again have to lace them up (put down that popcorn tray, Gogs, you are needed now), but perhaps if the Wild really do look like they are slipping away from the wild card spot, with the few remaining games, we may see callups en masse to see what they can do.

Big loss in Brodin, but at this point, I care more about his health than the Wild's playoff chances as he should continue to be a big part of this team moving onward.

• Good Post 1

22 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Are teams 🎯 targeting Brodin and Spurgeon? Crosschecks hard on hips, knees and shoulders.

I haven't seen any hard evidence that teams are particularly going after those players with intent to injure, although I can see how it can be viewed that way.

I think we all know Jared was a sponge for punishment, given his size and the position he plays on the team.
As you know, most D-men expect to get smashed in corners, they brace for it, try to avoid it of course, if possible, but it is usually inevitable.
Spurge isn't particularly big, so throughout his career just more susceptible, IMO, to the grueling position he plays.

Brodin?
Hmm...for years he was always that 'quiet guy' no one really noticed.
But now he has come more to the forefront as the Wild's BEST defensive defenseman, and maybe, just maybe, because of that, teams go at him a bit harder, like they would, say...ohhh, I dunno...a Drew Doughty in LA, an Mikhail Sergachev in TB, or an Esa Lindell in Dallas....guys that teams know, if you slow them down, you slow down that team's ability to defend at their best.

Still don't think teams are intentionally trying to injure Brodin, but he definitely is on more teams' radars in recent seasons, and he suffers the side effects more now of being higher profile in the Wild's defensive scheme.

That fall and leg bend he took against Anaheim after that hit was just plain nasty though.....