**** 2023-24 MINNESOTA WILD GENERAL SEASON THREAD ****

TropicalFruitGirl26

39 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

From the outsider's point of view, I think the most glaring need for you guys is to find a star center to play with Kaprizov.  He can't do it all (nobody can); he is not a superhuman. You tried Hartmann and Joel Eriksson so far, and the results were less than impressive.  Both are nice, fine players, but you need Mark Scheifele or Dylan Larkin type player - not necessarily a superstar, but a consistent point-per-game center. I really think that's what should be Guerin's priority this summer.

The 1C position has been a glaring need for the Wild since their inception. They have never had a true 1C. And it's not going to happen for at least another season. The Wild still have one season left of the Parise/Suter $14.7M cap recapture penalties to suffer through before they can even think about looking for a 1C. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

The 1C position has been a glaring need for the Wild since their inception. They have never had a true 1C. And it's not going to happen for at least another season. The Wild still have one season left of the Parise/Suter $14.7M cap recapture penalties to suffer through before they can even think about looking for a 1C. 

How much cap space do you currently have as is?

17 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

How much cap space do you currently have as is?

40,000. Until Spurgeon comes off LTIR, then someone needs to go. 

Edited by Tomdog

9 hours ago, Tomdog said:

40,000. Until Spurgeon comes off LTIR, then someone needs to go. 

This is for @IllaZilla, earlier in the year I tabulated all of the NMC's and NTC's for each team.  

Chicago - 2 NMC's (4 NTC's)

Anaheim - no NMC's (5 NTC's)

Nashville - 2 NMC's (1 NTC) 1 Modified NTC

Buffalo - 1 NMC (1 NTC)

Arizona (Utah) - no NMC's (2 NTC's)

Detroit - 1 NMC (10 NTC's) 1 Modified NTC

Columbus - 2 NMC's (6 NTC's) 1 Modified NTC

Winnipeg - 3 NMC's (5 NTC's)

San Jose - 1 NMC (3 NTC's)

Carolina - 1 NMC (8 NTC's) 1 Modified NTC

New Jersey - 2 NMC's (1 NTC) 1 Modified NTC

Seattle - 1 NMC (13 NTC's) 2 Modified NTC's

New York Islanders - No NMC's (3 NTC's)

Dallas - 4 NMC's (3 NTC's)

St. Louis - No NMC's (10 NTC's)

Edmonton - 6 NMC's (1 NTC)

Philadelphia - 1 NMC (4 NTC's) 1 Modified NTC

Florida - 4 NMC's 

Pittsburgh - 6 NMC's (7 NTC's)

New York Rangers - 5 NMC's (4 NTC)

Los Angeles - 4 NMC's (3 NTC)

Boston - 4 NMC's (5 NTC's)

Calgary - 4 NMC's (5 NTC's) 1 Modified NTC

Vancouver - 1 NMC (4 NTC) 1 Modified NTC

Washington - 2 NMC's (7 NTC's)

Ottawa - 2 NMC's (4 NTC's) 1 Modified NTC

Montreal - 2 NMC's (4 NTC's)

Vegas - 3 MNC's (8 NTC's)

Colorado - 3 NMC's (2 NTC's) 2 Modified NTC's

Tampa Bay - 4 NMC's (4 NTC's) 2 Modified NTC's

Toronto - 5 NMC's (9 NTC's)

MINNESOTA - 7 NMC's (4 NTC's) 1 Modified NTC

Yeah, tell me why any team needs to give out 7 NMC’s. They don’t. The only reason the Wild are giving out that many NMC’s is because the GM has been given an edict from the owner that it is Playoffs or Bust. And to get to the Playoffs they need a proven quantity rather than taking a chance on an unknown. 

I sure hope Craig enjoys his empty arena while his former team does some damage in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

(shrugs)  Honestly, when the Wild were officially eliminated from playoff contention it was a sigh of exasperation.  It was 100% relief.  This team had been in denial way too long and because of its 'pride' it's going to again draft in that middle muck area where you get players with some question marks and what if's instead of bonafide talent that is going to be a franchise cornerstone for years to come. 

IllaZilla is 100% correct.  Craig needs to back the hell off.  Be bad, maximize the talent acquisition through the draft...be less reliant on free agents and you can be good for a long time if you do it right.  The NMC's are insanity incarnate.  It's an anchor to this franchise.  I really wonder if it was Guerin's overuse of NMC's is what finally drove Chris O'Hearn (his cap guy) to finally jump ship since it made it untenable for him to do his job without addressing the massive NMC elephant in the room.     

18 hours ago, Alexandron said:

I think it is a very interesting article just came up 2 hours ago regarding LNTC in our club, which gives us some promise and optimism:

https://hockeywilderness.com/news-rumors/minnesota-wild/minnesotas-future-is-still-intact-r30003/

I think a deeper dive is needed on those NTC’s. Yes, they are limited, but they might as well be full NTC’s: Johansson has a 15 team NTC, Bogosian has a 21 team NTC, and Gadreau has a flat out NTC. And Zuccarello has a 10 team NTC but that is coupled with a NMC. So even if Guerin found a trade partner that wasn’t on Zuccarello’s list, Zuccarello can still say “No”.

And a lot of these NTC list contain teams that are likely to go to the Playoffs. Teams that usually look to trade at the deadline. Garbage teams are looking to unload players at the deadline, not add more. 

And I get Guerin can ask these players to be traded, but they’re not going to agree. Why would they upset their family life for two months or more to help out Guerin? That’s why they got the NTC’s in the first place. 

• Like 1

The only reason for these nt, nm clauses should be for taking a serious team friendly deal. 
I could see a 1 year clause, like Zucc wanting one this year for the birth of a kid, but other than that no. 

10 hours ago, Tomdog said:

The only reason for these nt, nm clauses should be for taking a serious team friendly deal. 
I could see a 1 year clause, like Zucc wanting one this year for the birth of a kid, but other than that no. 

But if you look at CapFriendly.com, the money is comparable to other players with similar stats and age. But those players didn’t get NTC/NMC’s too. 
So none of the Wild players took a team friendly deal PLUS they got the NTC/NMC. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

But if you look at CapFriendly.com, the money is comparable to other players with similar stats and age. But those players didn’t get NTC/NMC’s too. 
So none of the Wild players took a team friendly deal PLUS they got the NTC/NMC. 

I guess we could start calling BG Fletcher 2.0

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

I guess we could start calling BG Fletcher 2.0

I don’t know. But at least be honest with the fans. Does the owner not want a rebuild? Then just say so. Quit trotting out these has-beens and saying the goal is always the Cup. It insults our intelligence. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Exactly...they gave them a raise AND the security of the NMC or NTC.  It was crazy and I said as much when it happened.  I agree wholeheartedly you make the player compromise one or the other...not give them both.  Cheaper deal...job security, expensive deal...no security.  

If a player asked for both...I'd ship them out right away.  But Guerin just didn't want to lose his bro's on the team.  

So...has anyone heard about Gustafsson getting called out for poor practice/training habits? Apparently John Hynes spoke with Gustafsson about his poor training habits this season and will be speaking to Gus about it again this off season...

20 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

So...has anyone heard about Gustafsson getting called out for poor practice/training habits? Apparently John Hynes spoke with Gustafsson about his poor training habits this season and will be speaking to Gus about it again this off season...

Russo has mentioned it a fair amount on his podcasts.  I had heard there was some picture circulating from last summer where Gustavsson was looking a bit out of shape.  Guerin's comments remind me of the "one good month" comment he made about Fiala before he ended up shipping him out.  

9 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Thank god that wet fart of a season is over. And we don't even have the excitement of a high draft pick to look forward to. 

The 13th Overall pick has a pretty ugly history if you've ever looked at it.  

I doubt there will be anyone left at 13 who are talented with size.

IMO that leaves 3 choices, draft size and hope the talent develops, draft small and talented or draft talented with a chance of a huge growth spurt,

It seems this team has an over abundance of small with some talent. 

Minnesota Wild general manager Bill Guerin made a rather startling revelation about Brock Faber as he met with the media Friday for the final time this season.

"Brock's been playing with fractured ribs for two months," Guerin said. "That's the type of kid he is. He never complained ... he could've been out of the lineup a number of times, and he just wasn't."

"I'll take him with one rib," Wild head coach John Hynes joked.

10 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

Minnesota Wild general manager Bill Guerin made a rather startling revelation about Brock Faber as he met with the media Friday for the final time this season.

"Brock's been playing with fractured ribs for two months," Guerin said. "That's the type of kid he is. He never complained ... he could've been out of the lineup a number of times, and he just wasn't."

"I'll take him with one rib," Wild head coach John Hynes joked.

That probably explains the lack of shooting for the last month.

At Least I thought he was shooting less.

• Good Post 1