✨🥅 2023-24 NHL GENERAL SEASON THREAD 🥅 ✨

TropicalFruitGirl26

Two days later, and some separation has occurred.  Islanders nearly a lock, Flyers looking for golf gear.  Huge victory for the Caps over Wings to end a 6 game skid and greatly improve their chances.

The moneypuck.com odds after last night’s action:

IMG_3398.thumb.jpeg.5ded16936dffe625945d7060f8008ff1.jpeg

Having the Caps sneaking into the playoffs would be a big surprise. Kuemper completely melted down but the emergence of Lindgren and McMichael is huge. If they qualify, Carbery should be in the Jack-Adams discussion. 

On 4/10/2024 at 9:41 AM, Math said:

Having the Caps sneaking into the playoffs would be a big surprise. Kuemper completely melted down but the emergence of Lindgren and McMichael is huge. If they qualify, Carbery should be in the Jack-Adams discussion. 

I'm not at all a Caps fan, but of that group, I wouldn't mind seeing one of either Detroit or Philadelphia make it in, and Washington.
I honestly think Ovechkin in the playoffs would make for some must see games, and I'd be very interested to see what he can do at this stage of his career when the stage is biggest, and when the lights are brightest.

The fact that he and his team, should they get in, would likely be playing two Stanley Cup hopefuls in either the Rangers or Hurricanes, and that adds more intrigue.
And Lindgren in net bears a good watch as well!

6 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing one of either Detroit or Philadelphia make it in, and Washington.

After tonight’s action, a disaster for Washington, none of that is likely.  Isles and Pens now the likely survivors.  The latest moneypuck.com assessment:

IMG_3419.thumb.jpeg.ac821722931a1b95109923b9efde34f4.jpeg

Tonight, the Caps earn zero points, everyone else gets two except Detroit (one).

If Washington & Ovie fail to qualify by a whisker, they’ll look back at the combined 10-4 shellacking in two games in Buffalo in April, snaring zero points against the spoiling Sabres, who will bid them farewell saying, “Ya Burnt!”

19 hours ago, SaucyJack said:

After tonight’s action, a disaster for Washington, none of that is likely.  Isles and Pens now the likely survivors.  The latest moneypuck.com assessment:

IMG_3419.thumb.jpeg.ac821722931a1b95109923b9efde34f4.jpeg

Tonight, the Caps earn zero points, everyone else gets two except Detroit (one).

If Washington & Ovie fail to qualify by a whisker, they’ll look back at the combined 10-4 shellacking in two games in Buffalo in April, snaring zero points against the spoiling Sabres, who will bid them farewell saying, “Ya Burnt!”

Caps definitely letting some opportunities slip, but still....3 games left for most of the teams there (Philly on has two left!!), and they are all within a point of the Pens who hold the final spot.

NYI did themselves a favor by creating some breathing room.

Still could be any one of those teams in that final wild card spot.
Gonna go down to the final game, methinks.

I might as well keep this up as we near the end.   A disastrous night for Pittsburgh.  Five games of relevance, and counting the NYI one-point shootout loss as bad for the Pens, all five went against them.  Caps, Flyers, Wings all win, Pens lose.  That’s a 1 in 32 bad bounce for them, explaining how in one single game cycle they went from over 50% to about 20%.  

Moneypuck had it thusly with two to play for everyone but Philly (only one left):

IMG_3458.thumb.jpeg.3c5213bed6a13f73afa100c1fa33b8b2.jpeg

NYI  90

WSH 87

DET 87

PHI 87

PIT 86

Note how different these moneypuck odds are than the new odds shown by ABC after the Bruins vs Pens game ended.  They showed Detroit at about 50% and Washington about 20%.  I guess moneypuck thinks the Canadiens will battle the Red Wings as tough as the Bruins and Flyers will battle the Capitals.

Nevertheless, I do think Detroit has the better shot, making their OT winner in Toronto tonight as huge as they celebrated it.  (Well it’s been 7 years for them since making the playoffs I hear.)

NYI could have clinched but for Caps and Wings winning.  Wouldn’t it be rich if they lost their last two while these other guys both won their last two.

Edited by SaucyJack

@SaucyJack

Tellin ya....despite those percentages, things are simply going to come down to who can win the most right up to Game 82!

Obviously, the closer we get to 82, the larger each and every point becomes, but with 2-3 games left for most teams, their mantra HAS to be: Just win!
Teams at the top of the list have odds in their favor, sure..... but teams at the bottom have a shot too....should the upper ones stumble, maybe even just ONCE.

Like I said: should make for an exciting finish, and your Caps still can get in to face those Rangers in Round 1!

The Athletic (which I recently got free for a trial period) also calculates NHL playoff odds, but apparently they take weekends off.  They still show Pittsburgh with a big edge, but only because, well into Sunday afternoon now, they’ve still yet to update things per Saturday’s crucial results.

Good grief, Athletic, either update things like this every bleedin’ day, or don’t do it at all.  Especially near end of the season.  Such a joke…

1 hour ago, SaucyJack said:

The Athletic (which I recently got free for a trial period) also calculates NHL playoff odds, but apparently they take weekends off.  They still show Pittsburgh with a big edge, but only because, well into Sunday afternoon now, they’ve still yet to update things per Saturday’s crucial results.

Good grief, Athletic, either update things like this every bleedin’ day, or don’t do it at all.  Especially near end of the season.  Such a joke…

Kinda makes you glad its a free trial, eh? LOL.

Some good writers on there, for sure, but, also lots of clowns who think they are journalists too :bigteeth: 

The Athletic is updated.  It claims as of 8:45 this morning, and maybe they ran their algorithm then, but it was not posted until after mid-afternoon.  Webmaster screwup, seems likely.

They’re considerably different than moneypuck.com, in that they say:

DET 47%
WSH 31%
PIT 16%
PHI 11%

Velly intellesting…

One last time…NYI clinched, so only one spot left.  Any Caps win, even via shootout, gets them in, so moneypuck thinks Philly has a 58.3% chance of winning that final game.  But also, that it very likely means the Flyers play spoiler for either Detroit or Pittsburgh rather than to advance themselves into the playoffs.  

IMG_3474.thumb.jpeg.07624b5da8446aa82dcde322063f97a5.jpeg

So for three regulation wins to Philly, Montreal, and the Islanders, is only a 6.2% chance?  That’s what moneypuck says here.  

Same as two days ago, the slowpokes at The Athletic have still not updated their odds as of last night’s games.

Down to the wire…

Edited by SaucyJack

Remind me why Washington makes the playoffs and Detroit doesn't, even though Detroit has more wins, but they both finished with 91 points, and Detroit scored more goals, and has more wins at home.

ScreenShot2024-04-16at10_32_13PM.thumb.png.a2704031e85b9dcbb34ff622ba64159c.png

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, NHL HHOF said:

Remind me why Washington makes the playoffs and Detroit doesn't, even though Detroit has more wins, but they both finished with 91 points, and Detroit scored more goals, and has more wins at home.

ScreenShot2024-04-16at10_32_13PM.thumb.png.a2704031e85b9dcbb34ff622ba64159c.png

NHL has a formula for it, shown here.
Whether or not one agrees with it is another matter, but this is what it is.
Caps basically get them on regulation wins (RW), 32-27, even though the Wings have more overall wins, they did it through other means aside from RW.

tiebreakers.thumb.jpg.aaf7deee5ac80573473bcfc8e50cebcf.jpg

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

Really sad for Detroit, they did the job with two fantastic comebacks against Montréal. When Perron tied it with like 4 seconds remaining it was like a Stanley Cup celebration but when they knew Washington won the game, the last Kane SO winner was like a funeral. The horrible losing streak they had earlier in the season killed them.

On 4/17/2024 at 9:51 AM, Math said:

when they knew Washington won the game, the last Kane SO winner was like a funeral.

They were tremendous in April, but for one fatal night where they lost at home to Washington 2-1.  

Call me a Scheduling Nerd (“You’re a bleedin’ schedule nerd!”) but I find it at least somewhat remarkable, here on the last night of the regular season, that there are three contests where a club is making their one and only appearance at their opponent’s rink:

- Kraken at Wild

- Canucks at Jets

- Oilers at Avalanche

In each case, the first two games of the season series were played at the other team’s arena.  

OK, yes…perhaps a full frontal nerdity warning should have been issued at the start of this post.  🤓 

The honor of bagging the final goal of the season goes to Adrian Kempe of the LA Kings, over Chicago in OT, capping a late comeback that forces a seemingly gargantuan first round playoff matchup between mighty Dallas and defending champs Vegas!

It seemed like the Kings reeeeeaaaally didn't want to get the Stars. On the other hand, it felt like Vegas was targeting Dallas as they completely let it go against the awful Ducks. Given the bad record in the regular season, the Golden Knights was my least favorite team I wanted to face in the first round. But I guess if you have the ambitious objective to go for a deep run, you should be capable to beat anyone... 

54 minutes ago, Math said:

It seemed like the Kings reeeeeaaaally didn't want to get the Stars. On the other hand, it felt like Vegas was targeting Dallas as they completely let it go against the awful Ducks. Given the bad record in the regular season, the Golden Knights was my least favorite team I wanted to face in the first round. But I guess if you have the ambitious objective to go for a deep run, you should be capable to beat anyone... 

I think I'd rather face the Golden Knights in the first round, so that Stone et al, don't have as many at bats to loosen up as the playoffs continue. There are very few easy match-ups anymore, so you take what you're given, I suppose.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

I think I'd rather face the Golden Knights in the first round, so that Stone et al, don't have as many at bats to loosen up as the playoffs continue. There are very few easy match-ups anymore, so you take what you're given, I suppose.

I agree. Dallas gets a huge test early and I think it benefits them, and they go all the way to the finals again, after winning a hard fought series, in 6.

• 2 weeks later...