Game 5: Philadelphia Flyers at Dallas Stars: 10/21/19 @ 8:00 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Walker's bio is interesting.  Undrafted. LA staff knew him from college.  He had a very good college career at Bowling Green. He played well with Reign and Kings. But an injury seems to have set him back. Maybe he is healed with a good change of scenery.

4 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Walker's bio is interesting.  Undrafted. LA staff knew him from college.  He had a very good college career at Bowling Green. He played well with Reign and Kings. But an injury seems to have set him back. Maybe he is healed with a good change of scenery.

Sean Walker has been so good this year. Every GM needs a steal in a trade and Briere did well getting Walker. He really does play a solid game.

And can I just add in, Sanheim is in beast mode to start the year. That extra 15 pounds of muscle he put on has been a significant difference maker. He's a completely different player with that added muscle. He might just end up being a legit number one.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Sean Walker has been so good this year. Every GM needs a steal in a trade and Briere did well getting Walker. He really does play a solid game.

And can I just add in, Sanheim is in beast mode to start the year. That extra 15 pounds of muscle he put on has been a significant difference maker. He's a completely different player with that added muscle. He might just end up being a legit number one.

Foerster should be sent down he needs work on his play and skating without the puck.

Needs confidence or something.

Edited by OccamsRazor

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

Our lousy history with OT/SO continues. 

Yeah but at least this time the Flyers actually managed the puck 3 on 3. The past years with Provorov - not that it was his fault all the time - the Flyers would always turn over the puck and many times never regain possession. There were OTs where the Flyers never touched the puck after the face-off. So tonight they still lose in OT but at least it was more fun to watch 😆

• Like 1

We must have witnessed a bit of history. I just read a piece from Harvard that NHL teams scoring a shortie win 67% of the time, controlling for quality of opposition, whether it was scored with lead or from behind, etc. We scored three and lost. Yikes. One of the announcers said it was the first time since 1996 we had a trio. That was interesting on its own. 

I think this is our second loss with 40+ shots. That raises its own questions.

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

He might just end up being a legit number one.

Yikes I dunno...I guess anything is possible but to me he's got a long way to go before he's a "legit number one" on any team but the Flyers. But I agree he looks about a thousand percent better this year. 

edit: just so you know I like Sanheim and always have. I am glad they didn't move him this summer. Wherever he hits his ceiling he's got a good strong game, offense and defense, that he's finally getting to develop in the NHL now that Ristolainen isn't dragging him down.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

6 hours ago, Howie58 said:

We must have witnessed a bit of history. I just read a piece from Harvard that NHL teams scoring a shortie win 67% of the time, controlling for quality of opposition, whether it was scored with lead or from behind, etc. We scored three and lost. Yikes. One of the announcers said it was the first time since 1996 we had a trio. That was interesting on its own. 

Nice getting some shorties, despite the loss.

Well, it's only one game, but Ersson showed why you don't make him your savior after a dozen games. He was bad.

Walker is looking like a nice addition, even without the recent goals.

Sanheim and Konecny have been nothing but brilliant to start the season. Hopefully they don't tie that anvil Risto to him when he comes back. Loved that Brink pass...most would have taken a shot there. Atkinson needs to know he can't just take off without possession yet on 3 on 3.

Lots of good and bad in the game...what we should expect for the season.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Howie58 said:

But we have to be honest Ersson was not sharp not trying to put it on the kid but man he was borderline brutal when I was watching.

He  needs AHL time like Foerster does.

Neither one looks very confident in their game.

If they don't want to dress Frost then send him down and call someone up like Olle Lycksell who is scoring goals down on the farm.

• Like 1

For the most part, we've had watchable and engaged efforts to date. With Ersson, it's hard to know what we saw: rust, competence, or whatever, but agreed it cost us a possible deuce. We get another good test against Vegas on Tuesday.

• Like 1

Just now, Howie58 said:

For the most part, we've had watchable and engaged efforts to date. With Ersson, it's hard to know what we saw: rust, competence, or whatever, but agreed it cost us a possible deuce. We get another good test against Vegas on Tuesday.

Can't call it with him yet.

In the end of last year Ersson struggled with the Phantoms in the playoffs and got lot up like a Christmas tree by the eventually Calder Cup winning team and well didn't get rave reviews.

He was very leaky and that is how he finished last year.

And we'll now looks suspect again.

Let him play in the AHL and just go with Sandström to finish the year out don't flip flop Sam between leagues all year.

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

But we have to be honest Ersson was not sharp not trying to put it on the kid but man he was borderline brutal when I was watching.

He  needs AHL time like Foerster does.

Neither one looks very confident in their game.

If they don't want to dress Frost then send him down and call someone up like Olle Lycksell who is scoring goals down on the farm.

Frost would have to pass through waivers...which he wouldn't.

7 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Frost would have to pass through waivers...which he wouldn't.

I was referring to Foerster send him down he needs work.

But yeah because Frost has played 2 games this year that puts him at his limit of 160 games so now he can't be sent down now great job Torts should have just sent him down before the season started and it would have been fine.

But no they let him play 2 games now handcuffing them.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So who would replace him.

You know the Devil you know is better than the one you don't know and ****.

Anyone who's good at coaching young players. Tortorella loves his veteran players way too much. He'd hate Michkov...not that he'll be here then.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Also...looks like Farabee has his mojo back....not that that surprises me. Figured he'd rebound like many others after the Black Plague got fired.

Hopefully Tortsie is next.

Happy to see someone mention Farabee.... Good to see him scoring early. I've always liked that kid...

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Anyone who's good at coaching young players. Tortorella loves his veteran players way too much. He'd hate Michkov...not that he'll be here then.

I'd love to take a swing at David Carle since you mentioned young players.

Just one of my first choices.

Caught the game at the end of it. With both Ersson and Wedgewoops in goal, I should've bet on the O/U 7.5 instead of the winner. Sad for Ersson who made a fantastic glove save on Hintz's one-timer before letting Pavelski's backhand in. However:

And two of them on the same power-play lol. I guess everyone's happy: The Stars got the two points, Flyers grab one on the road with grit. :toast:

• Good Post 1

8 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Tortorella loves his veteran players way too much.

Good news there is that his hand is forced not just by Briere and Jones but by the circumstances. He simply can’t overplay his vets at the expense of younger guys because there’s not enough vets to do that. If he tries coaching the way he did in NY it would be patently obvious that he’s gone off the reservation and it couldn’t last. 

I think I share your opinion about Tortorella but he’s been winning me over slow but sure. Once the Flyers get closer to being a legit competitor I imagine he’ll be thanked for his services and sent packing. But for now I think he’s a good fit for the Flyers, despite his history. He actually seems to have changed. Edit: or maybe he’s just going with the flow.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

Honestly, I don't see how anyone can be down on Tortorella based on his performance with this Flyers team. 

Actually, when I think about it and his tenure with the Flyers as a whole, that sentiment seems not based in reality.

He told the truth about the team last season, he is making these young players earn their spots and by doing so, maybe teaching them some accountability.

No one is perfect. He did Sanhiem dirty-ish last year and called Morgan Frost a toilet seat ( I thought it was funny because it's true). So there's those instances but Sanhiem spent the summer in the gym hate-lifting and has been dynamite so far this season and Frost has been a well-earned healthy scratch. I hope Morgan gets his **** together, but Torts not gifting that no-show minutes is a reason why I think he's doing a fantastic job. 

He plays Brink, loves Cates, is giving Zamula more minutes than I would, letting Foerester grow in the NHL. He's holding Farabee and Tippett to a standard. All of those players are benefiting from being coached by Tortorella.

Torts has been just what this team needed. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I hope Morgan gets his **** together, but Torts not gifting that no-show minutes is a reason why I think he's doing a fantastic job. 

Whenever he gets his chance he’ll basically have to have a monster game to get back in the good graces of Tortorella. At this point he should be on a short leash. His only conceivable role is a 2C and if he thinks 45-pt seasons will land him that job he’s sadly mistaken. That may have been good enough under Fletcher but Briere knows something about making it in the NHL as an undersized forward.

While Sanheim was working the weights and building muscle (and determination) it seems Frost picked up right where left off last season: JVR-lite.