Game 31: Philadelphia Flyers at New Jersey Devils; 12/19/21 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Ok this kid might have earned himself another contract seems to find a way to score some big goals.

I Tippett my hat to him because my previous one is on display at the Wells Fargo Center.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well that’s true. Still hard to believe that one…

Laughton is versatile and has a ton of value to the Flyers. Sure if the offer is a 1R take it but otherwise I’d keep him. For a $3mil cap hit, his chemistry with TK on the PK, his leadership that everybody talks about…I feel like that’s all worth more than a 2Rer, which is likely the best offer Briere would get this year. 

19 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

A 1R for Laughton was a rumor last year and a pretty farfetched one at that.

Not really, Laughton is exactly the type of clutch 2 way player with a reasonable contract, that many teams look for at the trade deadline and teams generally overpay at the deadline. No ones saying it's gonna be a top 10 pick for him, bit a late first rounder or second round pick is fine.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Laughton is exactly the type of clutch 2 way player with a reasonable contract

Excellent description. I'd go further and say he's an absolute bargain for what he brings. It's why I'd say the Flyers need him more than a pick. He is a "clutch 2-way" player who the team and coaches apparently love to have in the mix.

Talent is great but it doesn't mean a thing w/out chemistry. Chemistry is everything. The Flyers lead the league (or tied) in SH goals - TK with Laughton providing many of the primary assists.

I would trade him if the Flyers can't acquire enough picks from the other guys likely to go at the TD. Laughton is 29 after all, though he doesn't play like he's 29. But looking long term...maybe it's the right move I dunno.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

On 12/21/2023 at 5:24 PM, GratefulFlyers said:

Excellent description. I'd go further and say he's an absolute bargain for what he brings. It's why I'd say the Flyers need him more than a pick. He is a "clutch 2-way" player who the team and coaches apparently love to have in the mix.

Talent is great but it doesn't mean a thing w/out chemistry. Chemistry is everything. The Flyers lead the league (or tied) in SH goals - TK with Laughton providing many of the primary assists.

I would trade him if the Flyers can't acquire enough picks from the other guys likely to go at the TD. Laughton is 29 after all, though he doesn't play like he's 29. But looking long term...maybe it's the right move I dunno.

There's only so much space on the roster, Laugton is a C/LW...Poehling is younger ,cheaper and plays a similar two way game, he's a center, we also have C/LW Gauthier on the way and we have C/LW Cates, who is also a two way guy and hes coming back from injury in a month or two. Frost ,Brink,Poehling and Foerester are all young and playing well, when Cates comes back and Gauthier joins the team after college ends, somebody's gotta go.

Laughton is a great team leader and two way guy, but considering we are in a rebuild, I'm trading the older more expensive guys even if it means taking a step back in the short term..we will also have similar situations with Seeler and Walker, both 30 and pending UFAS,  neither fit into a 5 year plan,both having career years in a contract season, guaranteed they never play like that again ,remember JVRs big season in his final contract year? He sucked as soon as we signed him. We were stuck for 5 yrs