Game 31: Philadelphia Flyers at New Jersey Devils; 12/19/21 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

The bookies show NJ as the favorite (-208), which seems stretched:

https://betdecider.com/picks/new-jersey-devils-vs-philadelphia-flyers-betting-preview-money-lines-players-info-12-19-2023/

Both teams have taken seven of their last ten, but the stats (offense, PP, and faceoffs) say the Devils are a superior squad:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/njd-vs-phi/2023/12/19/2023020487

We do not play well against this team, particularly on their turf:

https://flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/opponent.cgi?New_Jersey_Devils

Lindy Versus Torts

Ha thanks for the history link again. This time I didn’t need to look… going into Newark has been trouble for the Flyers since the 80s god only knows why. The Flyers beat them in Philly pretty often….let’s see 58-48-9 at home not bad. But totally opposite in NJ 38-71-6…yikes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Ha thanks for the history link again. This time I didn’t need to look… going into Newark has been trouble for the Flyers since the 80s god only knows why. The Flyers beat them in Philly pretty often….let’s see 58-48-9 at home not bad. But totally opposite in NJ 38-71-6…yikes.

Yeah, it's interesting.  If I recall, Nashville is even-matched at home and away.  Other series it is clearly a home series.  This may be one of the few teams with such an overall bad differential.  Yes, Newark hasn't been kind. 

what a game - OT win in Newark against a fast smart team (even if they're underachieving a bit compared to last year)

real happy for Tippett GWer he had 4 or 5 grade-A chances in the 3rd a few more in OT ... sweet revenge for last game Hughes-to-Hughes when they got the GWer in OT.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

what a game - OT win in Newark against a fast smart team (even if they're underachieving a bit compared to last year)

real happy for Tippett GWer he had 4 or 5 grade-A chances in the 3rd a few more in OT ... sweet revenge for last game Hughes-to-Hughes when they got the GWer in OT.

Helluva snipe by Tippett.

When we made that trade I was like: we need skill. He has the best skill, which is putting puck in the net. If it works out, it's a good trade.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

If it works out, it's a good trade.

That just might be Fletch's best trade. They got Tippett and a 1st in next year's draft.

Appropriately, it is also the first trade after the "go for it" retool that brought Ristolainen and Atkinson...

So "go for it" and then "sell it off"

#fletched

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, radoran said:

They got Tippett and a 1st in next year's draft.

So in the next draft or 2025? Either way it’s looking like a steal. 

2 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

This squad doesn't back down!!

Yeah they really seem to be playing for each other and the goalies are giving them no excuses to quit. Tortorella has been good for them in that respect. He’s got them playing a demanding game physically I wonder if it can last 82 (+?) games. If so they’ll be a tough out in the POs.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Yeah they really seem to be playing for each other and the goalies are giving them no excuses to quit. Tortorella has been good for them in that respect. He’s got them playing a demanding game physically I wonder if it can last 82 (+?) games. If so they’ll be a tough out in the POs.

Quite physical. To a man. Competing. Hard to play against.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Said 2024.

Right now Florida is sitting 10th with the Flyers at 11.

That puts two picks in the 15-25 range?

I don't know how deep the 2024 draft is supposed to be.

13 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

What illness is Hart dealing with?  He’s been sick for a couple weeks.

I was at the Flyers practice & Hart practiced the entire time.    Was surprised to hear he wasn't playing.

Don't live very far from their Training center & try to get to most of the practices.

That's another good win vs a good team. 

I hate the Devils with the fire of 50 million suns, so even if the Flyers were to go 6 - 76 if 4 of those wins come vs the Devils, I wouldn't say the season was a total bust. 

Really, **** all those guys, the announce team, the 13 fans, the concessions workers in that mausoleum of an arena,  all of 'em. 

The Hughes brothers got a little too fancy and the soulless assassin made them PAY!!!!

The Devs will be good for a long time, I look forward to rekindling the sports hate for that franchise.  It kind of gives warm fuzzies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

That's another good win vs a good team. 

I hate the Devils with the fire of 50 million suns, so even if the Flyers were to go 6 - 76 if 4 of those wins come vs the Devils, I wouldn't say the season was a total bust. 

Really, **** all those guys, the announce team, the 13 fans, the concessions workers in that mausoleum of an arena,  all of 'em. 

The Hughes brothers got a little too fancy and the soulless assassin made them PAY!!!!

The Devs will be good for a long time, I look forward to rekindling the sports hate for that franchise.  It kind of gives warm fuzzies.

They definitely have more high end talent than us but the biggest difference is now we have the goaltending and they don't . 

14 hours ago, radoran said:

That just might be Fletch's best trade. They got Tippett and a 1st in next year's draft.

Ok this kid might have earned himself another contract seems to find a way to score some big goals.

It's a lunch pail team you have to tip your hat to them might not be any stars among them but they play hard and like a team wanting to prove something.

I know this team isn't the same pedigree as the Vegas Knights but they proved you can win with just solid not spectacular goaltending and Flyer have that for sure.

I feel in a playoff series they would make a good series but the lack of fire power will most likely only earn them a quick exit.

But it seems like progress in a rebuild if we can even call it that anymore.

Tippet could be earning a contract and i will sign off on that once Atkinson is moved. Someone has to go...he draws the short straw.

• Like 2

@OccamsRazor

A lot of difficult decisions on some of these tweener guys.

I have really liked what Poehling has brought to the team.

He plays fast and heavy. Seems like he has some hands and can make a team pay, He'll kill penalties.

He's young enough to fit in with the core group, his teammates seem to love him.

I'd consider keeping him around on a Laughton type deal, preferably less $ than Laughts but a few years for 2 + .aav for a versatile bottom 9 centerman.

He has stood out in a good way for most of the games he's played this year. 

If it took him a few years for him to find his game in the NHL, well wouldn't that be great if the Flyers could take advantage of that for once instead of being victimized by it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

@OccamsRazor

A lot of difficult decisions on some of these tweener guys.

I have really liked what Poehling has brought to the team.

He plays fast and heavy. Seems like he has some hands and can make a team pay, He'll kill penalties.

He's young enough to fit in with the core group, his teammates seem to love him.

I'd consider keeping him around on a Laughton type deal, preferably less $ than Laughts but a few years for 2 + .aav for a versatile bottom 9 centerman.

He has stood out in a good way for most of the games he's played this year. 

If it took him a few years for him to find his game in the NHL, well wouldn't that be great if the Flyers could take advantage of that for once instead of being victimized by it.

I think if Poehling keeps playing like this , I'd show Laughton the door, especially if someone is still offering a first round pick. 

• Like 3