Game 33: Philadelphia Flyers at Detroit Red Wings; 12/22/23 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

what the hell is Tortorella thinking putting Ristolainen on the ice in OT? I've seen that a few times now. Instead of Sanheim he puts out Couturier, TK and Ristolainen.

Oh christ and he turns it over - HOLYSHIT what a save Hart!!! Bailed out the Neanderthal Man Ristolainen.

47 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

What if this team could score a power play?

Top of my head at least 3 more wins not including tonight another blank...that's 8 points, puts them atop the Metro.

How can it be this bad...and how does it stay this bad? I really wish they'd quit using that slowboat-to-China slingshot entry. Lots of teams use it now I know but the Flyers need a straight ahead approach not drop passes. They're such a good transition team - one of the best in the league - they should use that on the PP and forget the drop passes.

• Good Post 1

20 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Top of my head at least 3 more wins not including tonight another blank...that's 8 points, puts them atop the Metro.

How can it be this bad...and how does it stay this bad? I really wish they'd quit using that slowboat-to-China slingshot entry. Lots of teams use it now I know but the Flyers need a straight ahead approach not drop passes. They're such a good transition team - one of the best in the league - they should use that on the PP and forget the drop passes.

Part of me says they take too long to decide on what shoot or pass.  The defense can keep its box through adjustment.  That leads to low-chance lobs from corners or the outside out necessity.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I think 3 defenders stacked at the blue line, a common early in the PK tactic, makes the Flyers 5 v 5 Stretch pass/  zone entry more difficult.  

The sling shot tries to trap a pker up the ice . 

It's not going away. 

At this point, their lack of pp effectiveness is in their heads.

Like you point out they are good in transition.

I'm not buying the skill argument as much anymore. 

I've seen many skillfully scored goals from this team.

That Larkin goal was such a bummer. Hart stopped a series of really good odd-man attempts in the 3rd...that goal must have been meant to be.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

not buying the skill argument as much anymore. 

Agreed, it's not about lack of talent or skill. Atkinson and Foerster are really "fighting it" as they say but there's more good shooters, also a couple excellent net-front guys who can score PP goals.

I get the idea behind the slingshot. Teams that do it well do it fearlessly. One guy back (not 2 or 3 like the Flyers) comes with speed and he gets the puck, period. It works best when the drop is near the red line and most important the guy catches it skating full speed.

I've seen the Flyers make the drop pass in their own zone, totally negating the slingshot. Or a guy is 2 or 3 strides from entering the offensive zone and turns back to make the slingshot pass. Bizarre, and this from otherwise good players, Couturier, Tippett, TK...

If that's their version of the slingshot it stinks on hot ice. Either find a day to practice it or lose it once and for all.

• Like 1