Game 78: Philadelphia Flyers at Columbus Blue Jackets; 4/6/24 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

12 hours ago, Howie58 said:

what is Cam Atkinson doing in the lineup?

You just can’t fall in love’,” Tortorella concluded. “You can’t because if you do, it’s going to set you back. 

Practice what you preach Tortsie.

• Good Post 3

Well we all knew that things would eventually catch up with the team.

Let's face it, they have overachieved all season, and Owen Tippet and TK cannot provide all the offense...guys like Atkinson, Coots have been painfully absent...those guys should be good for at least 15 - 20 goals, maybe more...

Giroux was once convinced that Farabee would break all HIS records as a Flyer and for a small window, it looked that way...no so anymore...and the way he was playing a couple years ago, we all thought Farabee was destined to be the next 'C'.  But he has proven to be way too streaky...

PP is STILL a problem...and imo a lot of it is that we don't have that guy that strikes fear into opposing teams, like a Matthews, Ovie, Stamkos, McDavid..the last guy with that aura was Giroux...guys that draw all the attention while secondary players capitalize on chances..well the closest we have now is TK..(maybe Tippett as well) but then our secondary guys aren't capitalizing...

as far as Ivan....I didn't see the game, but from what I saw, a couple goals were fundamentally based errors which hopefully "Dilly" can fix...I'm not writing him off yet, but he has 4 periods of NHL experience, he still has a lot to learn about the NHL game, and a lot to work on...

the fact that they made him the backup speaks more about the Petersen/Sandstrom disasters more than anything....backup G needs to be high on the priority list for the offseason. 

I also wouldn't mind seeing them make a splash in FA/trade  for a premiere forward since, yet again they won't be in a position to draft one. 

Edited by flyerdog
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

1 minute ago, flyerdog said:

.backup G needs to be high on the priority list

We have a backup...we need a starter.

And a #1 C

And a #1 defenceman

And some elite left wingers.

But maybe making the playoffs is way more important. 

• Good Post 1

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

We have a backup...we need a starter.

And a #1 C

And a #1 defenceman

And some elite left wingers.

But maybe making the playoffs is way more important. 

or they need to figure out why Sam looks spectacular in a few games and completely lost in another stretch, it's mystifying...Goalies have bad games like everyone else...there was a time period where Sam was lights out awesome...but as you suggest maybe he was just overachieving beyond his own means...

so the concern is that if Bjarnson, Kolosov and Fedotov don't pan out...."oh ****"...are the words that comes to mind. 

18 minutes ago, flyerdog said:

or they need to figure out why Sam looks spectacular in a few games and completely lost in another stretch, it's mystifying...Goalies have bad games like everyone else...there was a time period where Sam was lights out awesome...but as you suggest maybe he was just overachieving beyond his own means...

so the concern is that if Bjarnson, Kolosov and Fedotov don't pan out...."oh ****"...are the words that comes to mind. 

Keep drafting them. Good goalies can be found later in drafts...you just gotta keep trying.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, flyerdog said:

Well we all knew that things would eventually catch up with the team.

Let's face it, they have overachieved all season, and Owen Tippet and TK cannot provide all the offense...guys like Atkinson, Coots have been painfully absent...those guys should be good for at least 15 - 20 goals, maybe more...

Giroux was once convinced that Farabee would break all HIS records as a Flyer and for a small window, it looked that way...no so anymore...and the way he was playing a couple years ago, we all thought Farabee was destined to be the next 'C'.  But he has proven to be way too streaky...

PP is STILL a problem...and imo a lot of it is that we don't have that guy that strikes fear into opposing teams, like a Matthews, Ovie, Stamkos, McDavid..the last guy with that aura was Giroux...guys that draw all the attention while secondary players capitalize on chances..well the closest we have now is TK..(maybe Tippett as well) but then our secondary guys aren't capitalizing...

as far as Ivan....I didn't see the game, but from what I saw, a couple goals were fundamentally based errors which hopefully "Dilly" can fix...I'm not writing him off yet, but he has 4 periods of NHL experience, he still has a lot to learn about the NHL game, and a lot to work on...

the fact that they made him the backup speaks more about the Petersen/Sandstrom disasters more than anything....backup G needs to be high on the priority list for the offseason. 

I also wouldn't mind seeing them make a splash in FA/trade  for a premiere forward since, yet again they won't be in a position to draft one. 

Your assessment speaks to a systems issue. Our first round picks have been a problem for the last 10 years, and that goes beyond draft position. Our complementary trade and signings are problematic--we sacrifice picks and sign subpar players to outrageous salaries and long terms. This is a mess.

Short-term, we are paying a price for losing Hart and Walker. I agree 100 percent that others aren't contributing as expected. BTW, I am hoping that Coots does not become another VLC. Atkinson may be a spent force, and he has another year. 

Goal. That is the Flyers Black Hole. 

Digging out of a systems problem takes time. Briere and Jones are under no illusions. Short-term, I am worried that the Torts Effect is wearing out sooner than we thought. I wonder if he will last his four years?

6 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I am worried that the Torts Effect is wearing out sooner than we thought. I wonder if he will last his four years?

The same guy that wanted to keep Seeler, benches players in front of their families and continually throws Atkinson out there will soon be "helping" to chose draft picks/trades/free agents.

This is the song that ne-ver ends

And it goes on, and on my friend....

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, flyerdog said:

the concern is that if Bjarnson, Kolosov and Fedotov don't pan out...."oh ****"...are the words that comes to mind. 

Don't forget Yegor Zavragin too.

Who has another year or two in the KHL.

• Like 1

Just now, flyercanuck said:

The same guy that wanted to keep Seeler, benches players in front of their families and continually throws Atkinson out there will soon be "helping" to chose draft picks/trades/free agents.

but the good news is that Danny B. will still have the last word...I'm good with that

• Like 1

Just now, flyerdog said:

but the good news is that Danny B. will still have the last word...I'm good with that

His last word kept Seeler for 3 more years. Didn't trade Laughton. Currently is doing a half assed rebuild which gets us half assed into the playoffs and a half assed lousy draft pick.

6 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

His last word kept Seeler for 3 more years. Didn't trade Laughton. Currently is doing a half assed rebuild which gets us half assed into the playoffs and a half assed lousy draft pick.

I really really hope they can move Laughton at the draft.

It could be where they try and move TK.

Also with the caveat they mist acknowledge they need to move these guys for assets towards the rebuild first.

If they start this "Well we were close" shat all bets are off.

:BrownBag:

11 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

yeah I get that, but Danny is also in a tough spot where he has to please the fans and the shareholders, so to speak, interest in the team has been at an all time low, i remember hearing clips from Philly sports radio where they wouldn't even talk about the Flyers, and when someone did, another person would essentially say that they were irrelevant compared to the Eagles, Phillies, Sixers...

so making the playoffs would generate some excitement, from the fans and the accountants, but at the same time, he knows he can't go "all in" because the team is still not in a position to do that, it would be a waste and set them back yet again...

and I get the sense that hanging on to Seeler and Laughton was more about Torts...since from day one Torts always spoke highly of them...and those guys seem to be the model of what Torts wants in his players/team...on paper it sucks that we couldn't get anything for them, but their value, it would seem, is not related to their on ice performance per se...

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

30 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

We have to ask the question: Do they want to rebuild just enough to attract fans to buy tickets?  Or do they want to rebuild to win a Cup?  Looks to me like it was the former, not the latter.

Edited by Fuzz
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

We have to ask the question: Do they want to rebuild just enough to attract fans to buy tickets?  Or do they want to rebuild to win a Cup?  Looks to me like it was the former, not the latter.

well they’re saying they’re going for Cups you kinda have to either believe them or not. Before everyone chimes in with “yeah but …” I don’t disagree they’ve made moves that are easy to knock. I’d only say give it a couple years … like they’ve been saying it will take. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

well they’re saying they’re going for Cups you kinda have to either believe them or not. Before everyone chimes in with “yeah but …” I don’t disagree they’ve made moves that are easy to knock. I’d only say give it a couple years … like they’ve been saying it will take. 

I just can't wait till this kid arrives...

• Thanks 1

There seems to be a lot of disappointment that they are crumbling and most likely out of the playoffs.

i thought that’s what most here wanted 🤔

somewhere in this thread someone was pointing out all the needs this team had in players,  then suggested the Flyers didint fill those needs because they were going for the playoffs. I don’t get it. As far as I am aware the only player they didn’t move on from was SL. I thought everyone was happy about that? And if they had moved more players at the TD, for picks or prospects, they would be in the same spot they are now. And can someone please explain to me how Hart was their fault?

you can’t hope for your team will suck, then get pissed when they don’t make the playoffs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Or the wings are melting!

The Flyers are the Hockey equivalent of Icarus, the closer they get to the Cup, the quicker their wings melt...

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 2

23 minutes ago, CoachX said:

There seems to be a lot of disappointment that they are crumbling and most likely out of the playoffs.

i thought that’s what most here wanted 🤔

somewhere in this thread someone was pointing out all the needs this team had in players,  then suggested the Flyers didint fill those needs because they were going for the playoffs. I don’t get it. As far as I am aware the only player they didn’t move on from was SL. I thought everyone was happy about that? And if they had moved more players at the TD, for picks or prospects, they would be in the same spot they are now. And can someone please explain to me how Hart was their fault?

you can’t hope for your team will suck, then get pissed when they don’t make the playoffs. 

I want a rebuild, not a "well, we're sort of rebuilding but trying to make the playoffs"  which is what the Flyers are doing. 

A rebuild gets you high draft picks, which should equate to top end talent. You don't get those by almost making the playoffs. Of course your management has to know who the high end talent is, and then be able to develop it. The Flyers have been sorely lacking in this dept for awhile. 

Hart wasn't their fault and no one said it was. We still need a #1 goalie though. 

I'm glad the Flyers are dropping out of contention...they just would have had their asses handed to them anyway. Now we might get a decent player in the draft. It would have been a lot easier picking top 10, with a chance at Celebrini. He may not be generational, but he's likely a true #1 centre. That would help Michkovs game a hell of a lot more than 4 straight postseason losses to the Rangers or Carolina. So would a true #1 defenceman. So would a better goalie. Or an elite left winger. 

You know I've always disagreed with your hate for Laughton....doesn't mean I wouldn't trade him. In a heartbeat.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 2

@flyercanuck

whats moves should they have made, or didn’t make, that have derailed the rebuild?

seems to me they did what they could, and here we are, right where everyone wanted them to be

9 minutes ago, Buddy said:

The Flyers are the Hockey equivalent of Icarus, the closer they get to the Cup, the quicker their wings melt...

Not sure why this matters at this point

4 minutes ago, CoachX said:

@flyercanuck

whats moves should they have made, or didn’t make, that have derailed the rebuild?

seems to me they did what they could, and here we are, right where everyone wanted them to be

They should have moved out pretty much anyone who doesn't fit their projected window of contention. Try to look at the big picture, ok, we have Michkov coming, we have a few decent young wingers and defenceman, how many years to rebuild this mess? Yes we would totally suck for a few years. With decent management you're acquiring high picks and more picks/prospects with your trades. Sign older but valuable players to fill in those spots, and deal them for more picks at the deadline. Lather, rinse repeat. 

I for one didn't want them in the middle of the pack. It's how you continually stay mediocre. At least when you suck you have the draft as your playoffs. We get no playoff satisfaction, even if we make it, and a mediocre draft pick. YAY!

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

27 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

They should have moved out pretty much anyone who doesn't fit their projected window of contention. Try to look at the big picture, ok, we have Michkov coming, we have a few decent young wingers and defenceman, how many years to rebuild this mess? Yes we would totally suck for a few years. With decent management you're acquiring high picks and more picks/prospects with your trades. Sign older but valuable players to fill in those spots, and deal them for more picks at the deadline. Lather, rinse repeat. 

I for one didn't want them in the middle of the pack. It's how you continually stay mediocre. At least when you suck you have the draft as your playoffs. We get no playoff satisfaction, even if we make it, and a mediocre draft pick. YAY!

I think they did do that...way back at the start of the season, Danny said openly that they would listen to offers on ANY player...and that no one was untouchable. Danny has never wavered from that stance...if anything the Walker trade reinforces that...they might be better if he was still here because he seemed to be playing very well...but they took the asset. 

also, you can only trade players if other teams want them, maybe they and/or we, overestimated the value of the players we have, and so could not move any of them for what WE felt was a reasonable return, as such the play might have been to hang on...

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I’d only say give it a couple years … like they’ve been saying it will take. 

So, as always, we're 2 years away from being 2 years away? 😉

• Haha 1