Is Torts the right guy?

16 hours ago, aziz said:

This is a really interesting idea I'd not thought of before.  Asking for a blue collar 100% effort out of 18 skaters, 60 minutes a game for 82 games is maybe NOT the greatest approach ever.  Let them pace, let the third and fourth lines eat time to cover for slow night from the top 6, allow for slow nights from the top 6.  Allow some players to play a 90 foot game now and then.  Basically, allow the players to see the season as a long journey they don't have to be killing every minute along the way.  And a journey with extra distance to go at the end, should things turn out well.

It's an interesting idea.  It makes some sense, and it does explain what we've seen of Tort's results for the last two decades.  Has anyone noticed successful teams coming off the throttle throughout the season in this way?  I can't say that I have, but then I've never really watched for it.  Nor have I followed any particular team other than the flyers game in/game out through a season.  Then again...it could explain that 09-10 finals run.  They definitely took long naps through that season. 

Would you accept a team that regularly has players/lines taking shifts/periods/games off, if there was some idea it'd pay off in the long run?

Interesting idea.

If it weren’t for the fact that they take those shifts off for games on end…..a little thievery by the goalie once in a while would be welcome too.

1 hour ago, flyerrod said:

If it weren’t for the fact that they take those shifts off for games on end…..a little thievery by the goalie once in a while would be welcome too.

Well, we HAD a goalie that could do that....🙄

1 hour ago, flyerrod said:

True, but I think Ersson is spent, at this point. It would be just as nice, to see the offense put more than three pucks in the net, while getting their typical 35 + shots per game.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

It must be a rule in the CBA that the Flyers have a goalie issue every season. 

Well, most of those were brought upon themselves by not having a very good goalie. 

But the hockey gods definitely do not smile upon this franchise. 

23 hours ago, aziz said:

This is a really interesting idea I'd not thought of before.  Asking for a blue collar 100% effort out of 18 skaters, 60 minutes a game for 82 games is maybe NOT the greatest approach ever.  Let them pace, let the third and fourth lines eat time to cover for slow night from the top 6, allow for slow nights from the top 6.  Allow some players to play a 90 foot game now and then.  Basically, allow the players to see the season as a long journey they don't have to be killing every minute along the way.  And a journey with extra distance to go at the end, should things turn out well.

It's an interesting idea.  It makes some sense, and it does explain what we've seen of Tort's results for the last two decades.  Has anyone noticed successful teams coming off the throttle throughout the season in this way?  I can't say that I have, but then I've never really watched for it.  Nor have I followed any particular team other than the flyers game in/game out through a season.  Then again...it could explain that 09-10 finals run.  They definitely took long naps through that season. 

Would you accept a team that regularly has players/lines taking shifts/periods/games off, if there was some idea it'd pay off in the long run?

Interesting idea.

ThenTorts factor of gettting the most out of the least  and the style the Flyers play which is team defense, back checking, shot blocking and out working more talented teams is not sustainable over 82 games. Eventually the lack of talent will surface, it just surfaced a lot later than we expected. The tipping point was trading Walker and the injuries to Seeler , Coots and Konecny down the stretch. Without Torts we would have been a bottom five team. This team has a long way to go. We are solid on the wings ,especially RW,  Center and Defense are the top priority going forward.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Well, most of those were brought upon themselves by not having a very good goalie. 

But the hockey gods definitely do not smile upon this franchise. 

I think the hockey gods have been calling out to the Flyers for many years but nobody in hockey ops is listening. They think they know better.