EAST Playoffs '23-'24 Round 1: (A3) Toronto Maple Leafs at (A2) Boston Bruins (BOS Wins 4-3)

Maples Leafs at Bruins  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Toronto Resumes Being a Punchline? Bruins Fail Again? Which is it?

• Maple Leafs in 4.... TOR isn't messing around. NEEEEEEXT!
    • Maple Leafs in 5... BOS steals a game, but TOR proves to be too much especially with goal scoring
    • Maple Leafs in 6... Bruins make things interesting, but not interesting enough, as TOR takes it skating away
    • Maple Leafs in 7... Some Leaf fans scream sky is falling, but then say, "I knew it all along" as TOR goes the distance...and wins!
    • Bruins in 4.... LOL Leafs......
    • Bruins in 5.... Still.... LOL Leafs.....
    • Bruins in 6.... Hold on now! Leafs showing life, but....errr, nah....LOL
    • Bruins in 7.... Best showing in many years for Toronto...never mind that they STILL lose (LOL!!). The Bruins quest for Cup glory moves on!

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, FD19372 said:

No offense to Samsonov

I'll give lots of offense. He was decent in this series, but he's simply been terrible.  

Until the Leafs spend money on a legitimate defenseman and, more importantly, a legitimate goalie, they're going to see this same result year after year. 

The problem is they have so much money tied up in the three headless horsemen and Tavares that they really don't have the money for a top flight goalie.  And due to government healthcare, they can't get elective spinal implantation.

So, here we are stuck in Groundhog Day.  You prorate loser, it's still a loser. 

tumblr_m4e47r0imD1qa2ylwo1_500.jpg

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, FD19372 said:

The Panthers are better than they were last season. No offense to Samsonov or Woll, but Bob is better than both, by a considerable margin. He's also better than Swayman or Ullmark.

Bobrovsky is damn good. Maybe he'll get a groin pull, LOL!

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I'll give lots of offense. He was decent in this series, but he's simply been terrible.  

Until the Leafs spend money on a legitimate defenseman and, more importantly, a legitimate goalie, they're going to see this same result year after year. 

The problem is they have so much money tied up in the three headless horsemen and Tavares that they really don't have the money for a top flight goalie.  And due to government healthcare, they can't get elective spinal implantation.

So, here we are stuck in Groundhog Day.  You prorate loser, it's still a loser. 

Samsonov was NOT the reason they lost in game 7 though. He was great. You can't blame him for this loss. 

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

The problem is they have so much money tied up in the three headless horsemen and Tavares that they really don't have the money for a top flight goalie.

For those playing at home .....  this is A LOT of coin ....

image.thumb.png.a8cc1189a0f88e2370d822bcbc9d6b5f.png

In addition they don't have enough for even a decent defense ...

image.thumb.png.5a0101ead751e4e60f39c944aee2e21b.png

outside of Reilly  ....  the blue line is going to be thin.....

oh .. .and you mentioned about goalies ...  here is that situation ....

image.thumb.png.8921d4fe60096cc2d249061f6a68b244.png

Is Woll good enough to handle the reigns himself?  

But yes ...totally agree ..the Leafs have ~52.5 million (out of ~87 million) invested in 5 players ..... that is ~60%

All 5 fell way short during PO.

Matthew* (1G, 3A) = 4 PTS

Nylander** (3G, 0A) = 3 PTS

Reilly (0G, 3A) = 3 PTS

Tavares (1G, 1A) = 2 PTS

Marner (1G, 2A) = 3 PTS

*played in 5 games out of 7

** played in 4 games out of 7

So considering what the Leafs are paying these guys ...their collective ROI is failling the Leafs during the PO.  

Their off season will be interesting .....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

But for every person or group or fan base that is happy, there are those that are bummed. I feel for the Leafs and their fans, except for Domi. He can go to hell, LOL!

Damn, I think this Pasta goal might be my favorite goal since the 1970 Bobby Orr flying goal to win the Cup!

I like the hand shaking ceremony in hockey.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RBGordie said:

Samsonov was NOT the reason they lost in game 7 though. He was great. You can't blame him for this loss. 

No, i agree. He was good. 

He's still a sub-average goalie

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, RBGordie said:

He might not have been THE reason for Game 7 loss, but he was ONE OF THE reasons the Leafs lost the series ....along with the 3 headless horseman as @ruxpin mentions

image.png.024e9bde506960e434aa116e3a360daf.png

Breakdown of Samsonov 5 games in PO .....

image.png.05d6e295d123c97f80f48efa0b3e2013.png

On paper it appears that Woll is the better goalie and moving forward the Leafs might roll with Woll next year.  As has been reported many times, Woll, who started for the Maple Leafs in their wins in Games 5 and 6, was a late scratch due to an undisclosed injury. So the Leafs obviously wanted Woll in Game 7.  Now I did not see the entire game, but it appears Samsonov kept the Leafs in the entire game and however that does not excuse his being 1-3 in the series with a 3.31 goals-against average and .883 save percentage.

Again ..the Leafs have some tough choices coming up .....

Edited by pilldoc

Posted (edited)

I'm mostly joking: Mitch Marner ($1M retained) for Darnell Nurse.

In all seriousness, I just wouldn't want Mitch Marner at the price he commands. In the regular season, he scores 91 pts/82 games, but in the playoffs, he drops to 72 pts/82 games. In eight playoff years now, he's only been really good in just one of them.

Edited by JR Ewing

1 hour ago, Buffalo Rick said:

Unreal.  I feel bad for Leafs fans.  They are close.  A couple moves away

From being a couple of moves away? 

Yes Flyer fans...we've become the Leafs. Only not as good. 🤣

13 hours ago, FD19372 said:

I'd love to see it be Matthews, and get the proverbial monkey off of his and his team's back, in a big way.

Hey, he already scored ONE goal this series.

I see Nylander scored again though. 😇

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

I see Nylander scored again though. 

off a feed from Matthews, that set Willie up with an open net. 

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

off a feed from Matthews, that set Willie up with an open net. 

Well then, that makes TWO games this playoffs that $13,250,000 Auston Matthews has points in! 😁  

And for that, he scored ONE more goal this NHL postseason than 2023 Flyers 7th round pick defenceman Matteo Mann. 

So happy that the Bruins didn’t give up 3 in a row like they did against Florida last year. Bruins move on, however, I’m not sure how much further they will get. 

Wishing Jack Edwards a great time in his retirement. 

Anyone else tired of PK Subban’s theatrics and trying to talk of Mark Messier?