Lindy Ruff back as Head Coach

radoran

13 minutes ago, radoran said:

yea, but....
That hit by Lucic on Miller back in 2011 not only knocked the confidence out of the Sabres organization for about a decade +, but ownership felt it, and fired Ruff on reaction! :ph34r: 

Sabres bring back Lindy Ruff, team's most successful coachThe Buffalo Sabres have rehired Lindy Ruff, the last head coach to lead the franchise to the NHL playoffs back in 2011.

Ruff, 64, was fired by the New Jersey Devils after 61 games this season. He replaces Don Granato, whom the Sabres fired after three seasons.

Ruff coached the Sabres for 15 seasons, from 1997 to 2013. He ranks fifth all time and second among active coaches with 864 career regular-season wins for the Sabres, the Dallas Stars and the Devils. His 935 combined wins in the regular season and playoffs are tied for fourth in league history.

"As I went through the hiring process, it quickly became clear Lindy was the person for the job. He has experience, a proven track record, familiarity with young players and so much more," Sabres general manager Kevyn Adams said.

Adams worked as an assistant coach under Ruff in 2011-12 and during the 2012-13 season, when Ruff was replaced by Ron Rolston.

The Sabres have gone through six different coaches since Ruff was fired.

"I want to be clear though that this hire was not made with nostalgia in mind. Lindy is the right person for the job now, and any history with our organization and community is simply an added bonus. I believe wholeheartedly that Lindy can help our team reach their goals and am excited to get to work with him," Adams said.

Ruff led the Sabres to the playoffs eight times during his tenure in Buffalo, including the Eastern Conference final in his first two seasons and the Stanley Cup Final in 1999.

He is the winningest coach in Sabres history, having set franchise records in regular-season games coached (1,165), regular-season wins (571), playoff games coached (101) and playoff wins (57) during his first stint with the organization.

"I think I've probably watched Lindy coach about as many games as I've actually played [in the NHL] -- and more than I've played for the Sabres," Buffalo forward Alex Tuch, who was a Sabres fan as a youth in Syracuse, New York, told reporters last week.

"He was my favorite coach. That was the team that I watched, that I sat on the couch with my dad. ... Lindy's a great coach, a really smart guy. I've always been a huge fan of his."

Ruff won the Jack Adams Award as the NHL's coach of the year in 2005-06. He was a finalist for the award three other times.

Ruff was credited with helping a young team in New Jersey take a leap to the postseason in 2022-23 with a 49-point improvement year over year. But the Devils regressed by 48 points this season, leading to his dismissal.

"This is a team ready to take the next step," Ruff said about the Sabres. "I am both humbled and honored to be trusted to help this team win now. It is not a job that I take lightly. It is my goal to ensure that players believe in each other, play for each other and love being a Buffalo Sabre. There is no doubt that we all need to embrace the challenge ahead of us. The work starts today, and I could not be more excited."

Ruff will be formally introduced in a news conference on Tuesday.

• Good Post 1

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I smell a cup prediction from Buffalo Rick! 

All kidding aside, I'm sure he's happy with the hire.

Haha yeah this is good news fof Buffalo Rick and for Buffalo the city their gain is New Jerseys loss👍

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Once he hears about it in a few weeks, sure.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

I!!  I got the sweet news yesterday!  I still feel bad for Don Granato.  Lindy will win.  Has a solid goalie.  Yes, need to get a couple forwards.  No clue when draft lottery is or how deep draft is?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, flyerrod said:

Congrats Rick. Does this mean the Lumina is coming out of retirement too ? 😉

This reference is a nod to Rick and the other long time followers of this site. Other than his Buffalo proclivities, I have enjoyed years of back and forth with him in many hockey discussions.

I have too.

I also enjoy nutrition discussions with Jeffrey Dahmer.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo Rick said:

I am soooo happy to hear this!!!!  I’m guaranteeing playoffs!!!   

Let’s Go Buffalo 🦬!!!

Yeah man I thinking they make the playoffs too plus I thinking they add pieces too next year and push hard all season...

17 minutes ago, thegx.ca said:

Yeah man I thinking they make the playoffs too plus I thinking they add pieces too next year and push hard all season...

Wow.   No thanks,  I’m used to getting my balls busted!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, flyerrod said:

This reference is a nod to Rick and the other long time followers of this site. Other than his Buffalo proclivities, I have enjoyed years of back and forth with him in many hockey discussions.

Likewise!  No the Lumina is in Chevy heaven.  I now drive a 22 Equinox.  Had to buy a new one after a young girl plowed into my rear end on railroad tracks 2 years back. Seat belt saved me.  
New news is I have an ice pack on as I watch some playoffs, need myelogram in a month, I’m certain it’s herniation at C6/7, fusion likely coming. 

Im now likely to show up again and wear my damn Jack Eichel Jersey I paid $200 for.  So pissed.  But its an NHL jersey.  A Sabres road jersey.  I wish I could change the name from Eichel to Roy who also wore number 9.  Could a taylor pull that off?  I doubt it.  How does tht prick Adams still have the GM job?  Its worse than that coach the Detroit Lions kept for ages.  Some teams just dont fire .  Well now that Lindy is here, I expect he will give Adams some damn advice.  Go get veteran forward or two.  That can score 25-30. Give up the number one pick if you must.  We have enough number one picks on this young team.  We have Power, Dahlin, Cozens who of course was not a number one in the league but was for the Sabres.  Paterka and Quinn together will be potent.  Thomson and Skinner.  I sure wish we could land a guy like Breyden Schenn.

20 hours ago, flyerrod said:

Rick should run it all back. Vintage Lumina, Applebee’s, Parmesan crusted halibut and of course daily affirmations about Ryan Miller :love:

Congrats Rick. Enjoy Lindy 2.0

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Rick said:

Im now likely to show up again and wear my damn Jack Eichel Jersey I paid $200 for.  So pissed.  But its an NHL jersey.  A Sabres road jersey.  I wish I could change the name from Eichel to Roy who also wore number 9.  Could a taylor pull that off?  I doubt it.  How does tht prick Adams still have the GM job?  Its worse than that coach the Detroit Lions kept for ages.  Some teams just dont fire .  Well now that Lindy is here, I expect he will give Adams some damn advice.  Go get veteran forward or two.  That can score 25-30. Give up the number one pick if you must.  We have enough number one picks on this young team.  We have Power, Dahlin, Cozens who of course was not a number one in the league but was for the Sabres.  Paterka and Quinn together will be potent.  Thomson and Skinner.  I sure wish we could land a guy like Breyden Schenn.

Go to a seametress it should very simple to remove the Eichel patch ans replace with anything you want...

3 hours ago, Samifan said:

Rick should run it all back. Vintage Lumina, Applebee’s, Parmesan crusted halibut and of course daily affirmations about Ryan Miller :love:

Congrats Rick. Enjoy Lindy 2.0

😂