Panacchio...Trying to Stir the Pot Again ?

Guest Desert_Fly_Dog

@canoli

Take this scenario:

My wife has an argument with her sister. Wife says to me "Isn't my sister a b*tch?" I shrug and mumble something about her having had a rough time with life recently, not really wanting to answer the question in the first place. Wife then tells all her friends that I think her sister's a b*tch.

That's what Panoch did here. Big deal? I guess not. D*ck move? Absolutely.

Easy brother, I read your posts, you don't have to "go there" as they say. If I'm guilty of responding to the topic in general instead of explicitly addressing what you wrote it's because I don't see the difference in the two. You're saying what the OP and the other critics are saying.

But I'll address this post to you directly:

If you want to talk about "conflating," and your argument is that Panachio's article is shoddy journalism, you can't use the headline to bolster it.

from your earlier post:

"Ask a leading question to one guy to get the response you want, then don't ask the question the same way to other guys so they don't have the same answer.

Or don't even ask anybody else. Notice he doesn't name any other players - not even among the "very few" others that he admits felt it was a bit of a letdown, too.

Why isn't it "Bryz, 'others' feel Florida game a letdown"? Why does he focus solely on Bryz?"

Most (if not all) readers are reading Flyers' articles for pleasure and to acquire some information. If you want to critique it as an exercise in journalism that's perfectly valid. But imho your conclusions don't have any value in the real world. Why not? For a couple reasons.

First, because the term "letdown" is so benign there should be no controversy over it. It also happens to describe perfectly what occurred on the ice.

Second, you're nitpicking what's basically a fluff piece to "expose" Tim P as a shoddy journalist. But I'd argue in this case, for this kind of story how many players Tim P asked about a "maybe 'letdown'" is not integral and neither are their names. Now if the "controversy" was real, if it was on the order of "X-Player says Y Sucks!" or "So-and-so says Coach Lavy's approach is wrong" we would have something worth quoting and attributing to named sources. In this case we have nothing like that. We have a few guys who said it was probably a letdown game that's all.

Finally your main complaint, that it's not "Bryz, others" is directed - again - at the headline. You profess to know better, and I believe you but this argument runs contrary to that claim.

@canoli

Take this scenario:

My wife has an argument with her sister. Wife says to me "Isn't my sister a b*tch?" I shrug and mumble something about her having had a rough time with life recently, not really wanting to answer the question in the first place. Wife then tells all her friends that I think her sister's a b*tch.

That's what Panoch did here. Big deal? I guess not. D*ck move? Absolutely.

in my response to Rad I addressed why I think this is a faulty analogy but let me respond directly to you Sar. First of all I don't think that's what happened at all with Tim P and Bryzgalov. In any case calling a woman a b i t c h - depending on the circumstances of course - but calling a girl a b i t c h is usually a pretty big deal.

Quoting a hockey player who said maybe the team had a letdown after a big weekend is not.

and I think with that I am done. I can't believe I let myself get sucked into this. Here I am saying "who cares?" and "it's not a big deal" and then I spend 45 minutes telling everyone why. doh!

Edited by canoli

Journalism is supposed to be unbiased, true, and about a story.

Interviewing with leading questions does not fit this mold, period. Personal agendas have no business in journalism.

It's more the spirit of what should be, if that makes sense.

• Like 2

Bryzgalov still has problems with the nuances of the english language. That is one of the things that makes him an easy target for interviews and writers will put the inflection of the statement where they want it, not necessarily where Bryz put it or intended it to be.

Bryzgalov still has problems with the nuances of the english language. That is one of the things that makes him an easy target for interviews and writers will put the inflection of the statement where they want it, not necessarily where Bryz put it or intended it to be.

Exactly. Which is why he should just shut up and play. Which is what some of us were saying when he was the toast of 24/7 and the worst NHL goalie any of us had ever seen. Don't feed the animals Bryz.

What is the deal with Panacchio? Bryz agreed with a very leading question about the team possibly having a "let down". His answer was rather benign, with a "maybe" then explained that the team had an emotional weekend but gave the Cats some credit for playing hard.

My Point: It seems like Panacchio was trying to start something up again with Bryz vs the Team. It was another attempt to put Bryz in a light that is not team oriented. His article states that Bryz was one of a few flyers that thought the flyers had a bit of a let down... so why not quote them? Maybe it was Timmo, who is also quite honest, Maybe it was Hartsy...who speaks from the heart as well. He picked Bryz, and put the focus of the article by the title squarely on our two week in a row 1st star of the NHL.

If I were Holmgren, I would do whatever is possible to restrict Panacchio and Charchidi (as well) from interviewing our Goalie...who has been lights out since they haven't been able to tear him apart in the Media.

Does Panacchio really dig putting Bryz down? I know he is the beat writer, and not payed by the Flyers, but isn't CSN Comcast Sports Network, and isn't Snyder Chairman of the Board? Maybe he could assign Panacchio a beat with the Trenton Titans?

Easy brother, I read your posts, you don't have to "go there" as they say. If I'm guilty of responding to the topic in general instead of explicitly addressing what you wrote it's because I don't see the difference in the two. You're saying what the OP and the other critics are saying.

But I'll address this post to you directly:

If you want to talk about "conflating," and your argument is that Panachio's article is shoddy journalism, you can't use the headline to bolster it.

from your earlier post:

"Ask a leading question to one guy to get the response you want, then don't ask the question the same way to other guys so they don't have the same answer.

Or don't even ask anybody else. Notice he doesn't name any other players - not even among the "very few" others that he admits felt it was a bit of a letdown, too.

Why isn't it "Bryz, 'others' feel Florida game a letdown"? Why does he focus solely on Bryz?"

Most (if not all) readers are reading Flyers' articles for pleasure and to acquire some information. If you want to critique it as an exercise in journalism that's perfectly valid. But imho your conclusions don't have any value in the real world. Why not? For a couple reasons.

First, because the term "letdown" is so benign there should be no controversy over it. It also happens to describe perfectly what occurred on the ice.

Second, you're nitpicking what's basically a fluff piece to "expose" Tim P as a shoddy journalist. But I'd argue in this case, for this kind of story how many players Tim P asked about a "maybe 'letdown'" is not integral and neither are their names. Now if the "controversy" was real, if it was on the order of "X-Player says Y Sucks!" or "So-and-so says Coach Lavy's approach is wrong" we would have something worth quoting and attributing to named sources. In this case we have nothing like that. We have a few guys who said it was probably a letdown game that's all.

Finally your main complaint, that it's not "Bryz, others" is directed - again - at the headline. You profess to know better, and I believe you but this argument runs contrary to that claim.

nice try tim!