Is it possible the team tuned Lavy out?

Guest Mad Dog

As unlikely as it seems, but can we at least consider it? The whole team just looked totoally braindead this series. I watched the Devils-Florida series, and it really looked to me like Florida was a better team. At least they were attacking and pressuring and could've easily won Game 7.

I just can't find any reason for the Flyers looking *that* bad. Could Lavy's style just start getting the players robbed the wrong way?

I think they just totally played themselves out against Pittsburgh. The age and youth showed clearly. The lack of goaltending hurt too. I know folks will say Bryz played well, but I think he could have stolen a game or two in this series. And his game tonight, well, I can't even speak of tonight yet. I also think they may have started to believe a little too much of their own press after the Pittsburgh win. They bought into the hype, Giroux as the best player in the world and all that. Well, win a Cup first and then we can throw around titles like that. No denying he's awesome, but this series should have brought him back down to earth. This team forgot who it was after the first series. They need to play humble, dirty, and gritty.

Lavy is not the problem.

Not suggesting he is the problem per se. But is it possible that the players - at least some of them - just stopped listening to him? The team just looked lost and completely out of sink... I don't know.

The Devil's made them out of sink. The trap they played is incredilbly tough especially when half your team is rookies. This had nothing to do with Lavy. I think the guys really like Lavy. There was just nothing left.

i think they were gassed after the pittsburgh series, that series was so emotional and so physical , i'm sure there are guys that are injured, not just banged up.

the layoff hurt , the hype of beating the "stanley cup favorites" didn't help and NJ was the worst possible draw, no negatives or positives to draw off .NJ played great,

played as well as they possibly could. they got every break, they made them too. broduer that craft vet, may have stolen that series with his post game 1 comments about contact in the crease.

Lavi isn't the problem, i think there was nothing left to give.

I chalk it up to Emotional Let Down.....how could they get up and play with that same "jam" as pitt

though i do agree nothing changed in games 2 3 4 5

He is so close to having the team he needs for his system of high energy and grit- i dont think that includes jvr and carle

@PhilsFanDrew

no it wasn't "grind it out" but it was high intensity, extremely physical and emotionally charged.... you didn't see that ?

It wasn't really playoff hockey though. It was physical and emotional but it wasn't structured. Unfettered chaos is not playoff hockey. It was entertaining as hell I just think it was bad preparation for a structured team like Jersey who doesn't play with edge or emotion.

As unlikely as it seems, but can we at least consider it? The whole team just looked totoally braindead this series. I watched the Devils-Florida series, and it really looked to me like Florida was a better team. At least they were attacking and pressuring and could've easily won Game 7.

I just can't find any reason for the Flyers looking *that* bad. Could Lavy's style just start getting the players robbed the wrong way?

i dont think he is rubbing them the wrong way but there is only so many times you can "go to the well" so to speak with the timeouts and the motiviational speeches. at some point it comes down to strategic adjustments, which i saw none of. doens tmean they werent instituted i just didnt notice.

facts are lavvy could easily be fired by now if the rags won that shootout 2 years ago. we were not a better team once stevens got fired. we collapsed and had to make the playoffs in a SO on the last day. last season we collapsed for the final 3 months. this season i feel we lost to a team we were better than man for man. i dont want him fired because a little consistency in system for multiple years doesnt hurt, but he is not super-coach who can magically call timeouts and make everything better every game. we shouldnt need to use the TO every night. something's wrong if thats the case.

we collapsed and had to make the playoffs in a SO on the last day.

That's not true. We were the next to last team in the conference when Stevens was fired and Lavy not only made the playoffs from that point but made the Finals.

That's not true. We were the next to last team in the conference when Stevens was fired and Lavy not only made the playoffs from that point but made the Finals.

lol. we were over .500 and in 10th. we finished 4 pts ahead of 10th. excellent turnaround from that terrific coaching. bounce goes the wrong way against the rags we are in 9th. pronger took us to the cup finals, along with most of the same group that took us to the conf finals 2 years prior with stevens. lavvy just didnt have to match up with the pens that year.

I don't know that Laviolette or any coach could have made a tremendous difference in this situation.

Schenn, Read, Gustaffssson, Couturier were all playing more games than they ever have before in a season.

Jagr hasn't played this many games for four years and just turned 40.

Simmonds and Voracek haven't played this many games or gone this far into the playoffs, much less in the roles and expectations given them.

Hartnell had one even strength point - an assist. Jagr had two (g/a) and even Giroux just had 6 of his 17 at 5-on-5. The #1 line for almost the entire season got points on the same goal TWICE all playoff. Is that coaching?

Even with the extra D depth acquired, they were still missing major D pieces (Pronger, Meszaros, Kubina, Grossmann) forcing them to rely on Lilja (-5) and put minutes onto Timonen that those other players were supposed to take off him.

Goaltending was not what you would like to see given the investment.

Nevertheless, the team gutted itself last offseason and there were many who didn't expect them to get this far, with others questioning if they'd make the playoffs.

They got experience, won a big round against a rival, got beaten hard by another rival and have viirtually the entire important young nucleus coming back next season.

• Like 1

Not suggesting he is the problem per se. But is it possible that the players - at least some of them - just stopped listening to him? The team just looked lost and completely out of sink... I don't know.

Sometimes when the other team is just whopping your arse in every way, game after game, even the players buying into the coaches word the MOST will still look

like they have tuned him out -- because once you keep getting beat down and have no answers and nothing is working.... the coaches words start to mean less and less....

because at that point, it doesnt matter.... the other team is just, well..... better in this matchup at this time of year.

Lavy was outcoached..players were just lost and defeated because NJ shut down our entire offence and we had no answers

Seven days off didn't help the Flyers focus any. NJ played harder and executed better. They earned it with hard work.

Lavy is not the problem.

Lavy himself may not be the problem.

Lavy's system, however, is. He even admitted as much during the post game, when he said that the Flyers were never really able to play their game because the Devils never let them.

Lavy wanted to keep playing the way the Flyers had all year. He failed to adjust. Anyone watching the game could see that the Devils knew what the Flyers were going to do before they knew themselves. How many times was the puck picked off along the boards? The Devils studied the Flyers tendencies, then sat in the lanes they always used.