What Would You Do With Amnesty ...CBA

Guest idahophilly

Subban? We had Dan Carcillo on this team, and people LIKED HIM! Subban is Carcillo with talent, and lots of it. A good coach and a good room can help straighten this kids head out. I'd take Subban in a heartbeat. If he doesn't stop being a jerk, there's always another team willing to take a chance on that kind of talent.

Carcillo was generally liked by his teammates and coaches. Subban is a ******. He is also a headache to deal with off the ice. Many say a change of scenery could help him, but I am not buying it for even a second. People don't change. End of story. And we finally seemed to have a locker room cleaned up of malcontents.

No thanks to Subban.

edit: serioulsy, admin, this sensorship is becoming an annoyance.... philly.com all over again.

Edited by Mad Dog

I agree Dog, fk Subban. Everything I see and hear about him says Primma Donna Problem Child with the emphasis on "child." Yes he's young but he's over-the-top in his self-importance, even for a young kid making millions (or whatever his salary is). We need smart, tough defenders who play with composure not out-of-control revenge freaks. That's what Subban is, he's a hothead. Sure it's great he plays with a mean streak but it's like a personal mean streak. It's not a Pronger or Darien Hatcher meanness it's Domi-dumbness and Tucker-pettiness.

way more trouble than he's worth imo - we don't need it.

People don't change.

This notion is regularly debated everywhere and I think the idea that "people don't change" is the majority view. I'm not of that camp though and if a more stable team had a chance to acquire Subban at a reasonable price, they should do it. Leaving the Canadians, one of the league's truly ****ed up organizations right now, is going to improve nearly anyone's outlook on life. Of course I'm not in a position to assess first hand, but I'd be willing to bet from where I sit that a stable, well led dressing room would do a lot for Subban's maturity and focus. He has the kind of skill and the kind of game a lot of clubs need.

That said, I'm not sure he's a good fit for the Flyers who, assuming Carle is resigned, ideally need a true #1. That may not be possible though because true #1's are few and expensive, so I would not have a problem with the Flyers taking more of a "committee" approach next season by adding a guy like Subban.

People don't change

matt "lady byng" cooke says hi .

I know it's only one year but that scum bucket really turned it around, for whatever reason is irrelavent, he played well and with in the rules, i'd have never thought that was possible.

if the price was right i'd take a shot on PK i think, i don't like him much but that's because he doesn't play on my team. i think he'll want wisnewski money and i don't think he's worth that though , so this is probably an academic excercise.

As per Eklund.....yeah, I know his rumors are ............, but his blogs are often believable.

There is a growing belief that the new CBA will include a clause that will allow teams amnesty on one bad contract, similar to the one the NBA passed through where teams are given the chance to waive a single player contract... but teams are still bound to pay the players' salary... however, the salary comes off the Cap and the player becomes a UFA again....presumably a UFA who might play for very little given he is already making pretty good money. And while a big contract guy like a Luongo, a Lecavalier, a Jeff Carter (despite hat trick last night), a Gomez, or a Bryzgalov might have a contract currently that is crippling the franchise, those players would have value elsewhere, perhaps even big value elsewhere if able to ask for the minimum.

Of course, the first option would always be to trade a player...but what if the player is unwilling to accept a trade..or you simply can't trade him.

So who would be against this concept?

The Wealthy teams sure wouldn't be against it.

I guarantee you, while it's not the case, people will speculate the Flyers signed Bryzgalov to the huge deal with the realization they may get a do-over. Again, not true. The Flyers would still be paying Bryz for 8 years no matter what. There is zero reason they would have gone into this with this as a plan B.

The Players sure wouldn't be against it.

All it does it essentially open up more cap space for guys to make money. And the unwanted players with big deals may want to get out of town...

The less wealthy teams could benefit as well.

As noted, these players could potentially be re-signed for far below their value. And remember this would be a ONE-time thing. You could see the lesser teams being upset if this was something you could do every year.

So...will this happen?

I honestly don't see why it won't. The details may be negotiated and maybe the owners might want some kind of discount on the money they have to put up (I have heard the idea of a percentage of whatever the player makes if he re-signs could be discounted from the original team's financial commitment...

You may be thinking, why not just "Wade Redden" the contract and bury the contract for player in the minors? Well, these guys with these monster deals almost certainly have No Movement Clauses. So you can't bury him.

The last time around, as I am sure you remember, the players took a salary hit across the board. It was a chip thrown in by then NHLPA Chief Bob Goodenow (wow writing his name brings me back. Good Times). The negotiating chip was meant in lieu of accepting a salary cap and ending up being what most feel was Bob's biggest blunder (although there were so many to choose from in that fertile crop).

So when looking forward to the draft trade rumors, don't be shocked if some teams currently with a ton of money tied up in goalies, get very active and go after other goalies...Be careful when you say "Well, they are tied to that player for life.." They may not be.

So...will this happen?

I honestly don't see why it won't.

No comment on my post...other than to correct my spelling. What's gotten into you?

@terp

huh? post #58?

I like Eklunds thinking why there could be an amnesty buyout.

My meds wore off for just a moment there but I'm all back to normal now. I meant to write that I don't see why it won't happen either.

I think this topic relies heavily on a largely unchanged CBA to accompany the new season. If the NHL changes its retirement due to injury policy, regardless of 35+ status, this topic changes greatly.

I would send Bryz packing (no surprise) due to performance and contract terms. Especially when you consider the value provided for his contract thus far. I'm not fully buying into the transition nonsense because I don't think you totally forget how to do your job for a year.

Timomen's contract is almost up, and he's still playing on his usual understated high level, specifically when healthy and not absorbing cheap shots from Kunitz. He's still breaking up two on ones with no SOG. Nice job sir.

Briere, I would consider strongly. In his favor though, the contract is nearly up compared to Bryz's and he plays every game in the playoffs like it could be his last. I just wish he'd play better in the regular season again.

Pronger is interesting. His cap hit to performance (zero, he's toast), is also awful. While he isn't single handedly losing games, he severely limits the teams' ability to maneuver the roster - due to his contract and current CBA LTIR, 35+, and retirement (normal or due to injury) rules. Worth considering strongly, but if limited to one penalty free buyout, I don't think this is the absolute worst and limiting contract on the books. Maybe number two.

Briere, I would consider strongly. In his favor though, the contract is nearly up compared to Bryz's and he plays every game in the playoffs like it could be his last. I just wish he'd play better in the regular season again.

I'm on the same page with everything else, including the need to pray that somehow we can get relief for Pronger's contract. He's retired.

Regarding Briere though...he shows up for the post season, I agree. His performance is admirable. But is he worth $6.5MM in cap space? Emphatic "no". He's got a couple of decent years left in him but his contract is an eyesore given his likely production from here on out. Just as an example, we could sign Parise for $1MM more and get double the regular season production, plus the post season goodies.

I was trying to be impartial or at least give Briere due credit for what he has done for the team in the past. I agree about the negative points entirely. Still, I'd rather unload Bryz before Briere.

It does not bode well for future signings.

why? the player would get 2/3rds of the rest of the contract's value all at once, and then could start collecting salary on another contract the next fall. if bryzgalov were bought out this summer, the flyers would have paid him $37mil for one year's work, and he'd be a free agent again. how would that complicate future signings?

• Like 1