Clutch Carter....ugh!

Guest ctid

@Bertmega

I disagree Bert, Carter is playing the same capable D and killing penalties effectively that he did as a Flyer. That was never in dispute.

Offensively, however, all he has is a shot. He's getting space to get it off. That's all that's changed. And most of the reason for that has nothing to do with him being or playing different.

He is playing on a better team that happens to play the same attack philosophy as the Flyers. His game should benefit from that "system" when executed to perfection, as it is by the Kings.

Long-term he was never gonna be a Flyer. He's still a peripheral, one-dimensional player who isn't the brightest and who would continue to frustrate us.

@Podein25

His defense has always been decent and you are right about his only offensive asset is his wrister. It does seem that he is getting the space to use it.

Correct me if I am wrong as I have only seen him play in LA 3x (SCF), but is he playing wing now? If so that is certainly a move in the right direction as far as playing to "capabilities" go.

As I stated before, in a cap neutral world, I think he would still be in Philadelphia, along with Mike Richards. However, the return was far too good to not pounce on the opportunity to give Jeff a change of scenery.

I think he was always a scapegoat due to his expected performance vs. his actual results. Or shall I say the tendency to score in non-crucial events; i.e., hardly clutch.

In any case, I may be getting off topic here, but had Jeff stayed we may not have seen the Claude Giroux we know today. To me, again speculation, there was almost a clause that Carter needed to play on the top two lines; which subsequently masked Claude's greatness.

For that I say good riddance, and good luck in the finals. Truthfully once the Flyers got bounced I could care less who wins it.

The burning question, if Richards got traded to say Calgary, would Carter be playing in the SCF? Or in Alberta?

Edited by Bertmega

@Bertmega

I think Carter would be in LA, the Kings needed offense, he was open for a trade, probably didn't hurt to have Richie in LA to vouch for him and ease the transition but from what i read many of the KIngs players were happy to have Carter join the team, not just Richards.

I agree about his leaving made it possible for Giroux to breakout, Carter would and could play wing in the right circumstance and on Richie's wing was the right circumstance, plus i think they swap from time to time, sometimes carter is taking draws and Richards is forechecking so i think that situtation is fluid.

• Like 1

For that I say good riddance, and good luck in the finals. Truthfully once the Flyers got bounced I could care less who wins it.

Me too actually. I watched some of it because I like hockey and hope to see some good hockey in the SCFs. Gives us something to talk about over the looooooong summer

• Like 1

@Podein25

Don't get me wrong I would watch it all the way through to ease the pain of a boring sports summer, but whoever would have won doesn't matter, just give me good hockey. Though I would have liked to see Nashville in it just to get a better peek at what Ed Snider is going to be throwing money at this summer.

What I do like about this series or even the playoffs in general this year is that it has been a goalie clinic of sorts, well sans the Flyers v Pens.

@Bertmega

Yeah, I've enjoyed watching Quick in particular. This was a guy who was treated like chopped liver by many hockey pundits and fans alike over the last few years, saying he couldn't keep his job over Bernier, it was only a matter of time etc

I also own him on my keeper team, where goalies are critical. His value has never been higher (actually his value will be at its highest on Wed after he wins the Conn Smythe). I guess I should trade him....

Edited by Podein25

@Podein25

That's when to do it.... Keeper hockey league now that could get interesting.

I was in an NFL keeper league where running backs were the key to success. In any case, I need to find a keeper hockey league where the stakes are high and the halibut is fresh.

LOL

After Wednesday, Quick should be able to get you two 1st rounders and Giroux in your league.

Makes me sick to see Carter score an overtime winner in the freakin' stanley cup finals.

Happy about the trades and all, but still, overtime winner in the finals?? can't stand it that there are articles on the net saying how clutch carter is. The guy did nothing in the playoffs for the Flyers.

Me too. I have NO PROBLEM with Richards , Gagne, Williams, and Hexy and Dean in the Front Office getting rings but I do with Carter. He should have been so clutch with the wide open net against Chicago in the finals with the game on the line

• Like 1

M. Conn Smythe would like a word with you...

well if that's the worst i get for typing that sentence, I'll take it, :D had Hextall maintained that level of play throughout his career we'd have been on to something. sadly, for me his legacy is sullied by the 90ft Lemeuix slapper.

did he really ?

not being a smart alec, but I hadn't heard anything about him in Columbus once he finally got there... other than he was injured for a while.

if that's true, then that's too bad the Flyers could have traded him to LA for JJ...

actually i'm good with how things worked out. but really had not heard of Carter being a little whiney ***** in Columbus. I was under the impression he was "good soldiering".

Carter wasn't a good soldier in Columbus. The fans here figured out pretty quick what we knew all along - they guy is lazy and hardly makes an effort. He was never happy here and started working to find a way out about the time he injured his foot. The focus here is primarily all about Nash, but there was a Carter undercurrent. Not at first, but about midway through his tenure here.

• Like 2

well if that's the worst i get for typing that sentence, I'll take it, :D had Hextall maintained that level of play throughout his career we'd have been on to something. sadly, for me his legacy is sullied by the 90ft Lemeuix slapper.

I don't think anyone thought so much of Hextall as a goalie. He got more attention from outside of Philly for his temper than he ever did for his talent. The man had huge heart, but when I was younger and watching him I actually thought he was someone that held your teams back. I considered him slighy above average at best.

As far as trading him for JJ I like Jake and Coots better although we could use some more D as the Devils showed us.

I was against the JJ trade (either retrospective Carter for him, or prospective JVR for him). However, I will say that it looks like (thus far) that trade to Columbus has served as a wake up call for JJ. He still had some clunker games for Columbus (as the whole Columbus team did), but he also elevated his game while playing nearly 28 minutes a night on average in Columbus. He ended the year a +5 with Columbus (over the course of 82 games is +20), which is a pretty big statement. He also averaged .66 ppg (which would be 55 points over the course of a season).

If JJ can play 26-28 top pairing minutes a night for a full season, be +20ish, and put up 55 points (at a cap hit of 4.3M)- then Columbus wins that trade running away (but loses the initial Carter trade hands down).

All that said, I don't do Voracek + Coots for JJ at all- regardless of current play in Columbus. I would do the JVR for JJ trade- yet only giving both another 1/2 year in their current situations. I want to see if JVR can turn it up in his big contract year and being healthy (hopefully) and I want to see if JJ can play at his Columbus level for more than 21 games.