Carle to resign for 4.25

Guest Irishjim

Carle is an easy one to hate no doubt about that. Many of his turnovers, esp early in the season, were of the OMG WTF Was He Thinking? variety. But as the year progressed he settled down and his turnover rate fell in line with what we're used to seeing from him.

Carle is worth re-signing if he gives us the proverbial "hometown discount." He'd fetch a $5.5 on the open market I guess, so anything under $5mil /season is a good move for the Flyers.

@jammer2

Carle is guilty of many things, esp not being physical. But what makes you say he's "not verry smart"? He is no more prone to brain farts than, say, Coburn. It's funny when Scott Niedermeyer skated the puck effortlessly through the neutral zone and makes a good pass to enter the zone (i.e. leading to offense), he`s a Norris trophy winner. When Matt Carle does`it he`s a chump. I don`t get the hate - it`s out of all proportion.

I dunno, maybe I was giving the guy a bad rap. I just want my puck lugging d-men to be as mistake free as possible. If you're not bringing any physicility to the table you should not be causing game winning goals against doing what you do best, lugging the puck, making that sure first pass out of the zone. I just think it's a move in the wrong direction. I wanted a Scuderi type, that is smart and physical. Not so worried about the 25-35 pts of offense from back there, willing to give that up for somebody who will make opposing forwards pay the price. I know what you are saying, the NHL is a transition game more and more, and the skills that Carle possess are highly coveted. I'm just opposed to the pussification of our blue line....and this signing is furthering that pussification.

File under: funny how others outside of Flyer fans see Carle and the situation generally:

From Darryl Dobbs of Dobber fame, writing for the Hockey News in this case:

"...signing Carle is a must, they no longer need Jagr as long as James van Riemsdyk is healthy and Voracek continues to improve. Suter would, of course, be an upgrade on any of their defensemen, but not a necessary one."

http://www.thehockey...tes-Flyers.html

Edited by Podein25

File under: funny how others outside of Flyer fans see Carle and the situation generally:

From Darryl Dobbs of Dobber fame, writing for the Hockey News in this case:

"...signing Carle is a must, they no longer need Jagr as long as James van Riemsdyk is healthy and Voracek continues to improve. Suter would, of course, be an upgrade on any of their defensemen, but not a necessary one."

http://www.thehockey...tes-Flyers.html

I'm with him on Carle. I think he's the best you've got as a two way D.

@Polaris922

You're in the silent majority then. Saying signing Carle is "a must" is ROTFLMAO material here.

I know! A lot of you guys get on him. That article posted previously pointing out his stats and why he was your best D man though is a keeper. I think some players are just polarizing.... Either loved or hated.

@Polaris922

Yeah, but in fairness to my fellow Flyer fans, Carle is a bit of a pusssy.

And an American as well. I don't really blame Flyer fans for wanting a 6'4" behemoth from Humboldt or wherever. They clear a lot of space and inflict a lot of pain. What's not to like?

Edited by Podein25

@Polaris922

And an American as well. I don't really blame Flyer fans for wanting a 6'4" behemoth from Humboldt or wherever. They clear a lot of space and inflict a lot of pain. What's not to like?

I'm all for Weber. I think everyone would love to have him. But even if you got him, Carle is probably the last guy if dump from your current roster. Will be interesting to see down the stretch...

I'm all for Weber. I think everyone would love to have him. But even if you got him, Carle is probably the last guy if dump from your current roster. Will be interesting to see down the stretch...

Food for thought: Suter spends almost all of his ice time paired with Weber. IF the Flyers were to somehow end up with Weber, how much better will that make Carle, who has never played with someone of Weber's caliber? (Even when paired with a "healthy" Pronger)

@Polaris922

That's too small. I want SHAQ ON SKATES!!

@Polaris922 I'm sorry but you obviously don't watch a lot of Flyer hockey, to call the Carle signing a must....well,....that's not even close to true. Actually, Carle is the last guy I'd want on the ice late in the game protecting a lead, if he does not mess up, he will give me a heart attack and almost mess up. If you like scrambly, stick driven defense instead of knock him off the puck like a man...then Calre is your guy. If he's so good then Carle for Stall might not be far off....lol.

@jammer2

i absolutely know what you mean about his ill timed puck posession goofs, but honestly...if carle walks, there is a big hole on the flyers' blueline. he's the most capable offensive guy after timonen (and they are starting to get close, numbers-wise), and while you're right, he isn't a knock-guys-down dman, a LOT more shots are going to get to bryzgalov without him back there.

if you let your defensive TOI guy go away, well, that leaves a hole.

@ I'm hoping a 4 million offer can be dangled in front of a present UFA and make our team tougher, harder to play against and replace his offense. I'm gonna have to check and see if such a UFA, with those skill sets is even out there. After Suter I think it thins out quite a bit...saw a chart on CBC where Carle was ranked second for defensive UFA's so that about says it all about the current crop of guys avilable.

@jammer2

yeah. there are a bunch of options, really, but they are mostly one dimensional and all flawed in one way or another. nothing is going to fix carle from bobbling the puck at that exact wrong moment, but his overall usefulness is a remarkably complete package, as compared realistically to other 2-3 dmen around the league.

@ you know, after spending a few minutes with that article, I'm leaning closer to believing you guys, perhaps Carle is the best all round bang for your buck out there. Let's just hope his defensive blunders lessen and he has a great year. Was suprpised to see that guy say Carle is better offensively than Suter...I'd have to disagree with that assertion, but other than that...well written piece.

@jammer2

oddly it has Matt Carle ranked pretty high...

Jackman just signed with St Louis so he's out as far as a money only guy.

Jason Garrison's name has been bandied about, he's big i think he's right handed too, what's your take on him ?

@mojo1917 Got to see Garrision a few times last year. Was scouting him for a possible fantasy hockey trade with Ruxpin. Really, really nice instincts at the point, better than average at holding the puck in at the line, absolutley booming cannon of a shot, lethal and accurate. Tons of offensive upside. Is respectable at defense, but his real stand out skill is his shot. It would be nice to have that cannon in the O&B.

Edited by jammer2