Rumor: Eric Johnson for JVR

Guest hf101

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Aaron-Musick/Johnson-to-Philly/122/45071

With the future of Chris Pronger in jeopardy, the Philadelphia Flyers have been looking for a defenseman to replace him.

Apparently their search has taken them to the Avalanche where, apparently, they have called about the services of restricted free agent Erik Johnson.

Jimmy Stizzle (judge his validity on your own) reported that the Flyers are trying to send James van Riemsdyk to Colorado for Johnson.

Van Riemsdky is the left winger for Philadelphia that teams apparently covet despite the fact that his best statistical year is 21 goals and 45 points.

Johnson, a former first overall pick, had a rough start to last year but from Decmeber on, he showed the Avs glimpses of the player he can be. He became physical, aggressive and played all around good hockey.

Time will only tell if the words of a random twitter person are true but from this end, the Avs should be getting their money's worth, trading away their defensive leader. Even if this happens, I won't be expecting it to. It's a terrible return and a step in the wrong direction for the Avs.

________

I like this trade proposal.

• Like 1

this has the added bonus of trading JvR out of the conference so he isn't able to kill us 6 + games a year.

this is the kind of deal i can get behind even if we have to throw in homer's standard 2nd round pick too.

This is a perfect deal for the Flyers, a dman with offensive and defensvie upside for our often injured and part time warrior. I"m ok with throwing in a bit more to even it out. Maybe we can kick out Carle if this deal happens before July 1st?

Hell no. Why trade JVR (and picks in some cases), or anyone for that matter, for a regular RFA. If the Avs are strapped for cash, or Philly wants him enough, offer sheet him in 12 days, and keep the players. So far, Johnson isn't Weber, Kesler, or the like.

@doom88

I didn't know Johnson's contract status... By all means offer sheet away, I thought he had a Courterier type rookie deal...And wouldn't be available for simply money and cajones.

I'm just frustrated with the grass is always greener mentality. If other teams want our garbage, chances are, it isn't garbage. If this defensive crew stays healthy, which knowing the Flyers luck is a very long shot, they will be fine assuming Carle is resigned. Same goes for JVR. He worked hard last summer, fell off of a metaphorical tree during the season, and hit every branch on the way down to the postseason.

Johnson isn't even a top-flight talent in my opinion, though he's good. Such a reach.

I'm also not saying we need to fall in proverbial love with everyone who wears the O&B, but at least give credit where it's due, and keep things in perspective when circumstances suggest.

Hell no. Why trade JVR (and picks in some cases), or anyone for that matter, for a regular RFA. If the Avs are strapped for cash, or Philly wants him enough, offer sheet him in 12 days, and keep the players. So far, Johnson isn't Weber, Kesler, or the like.

@doom88

I didn't know Johnson's contract status... By all means offer sheet away, I thought he had a Courterier type rookie deal...And wouldn't be available for simply money and cajones.

The Avs have $40 MM available in cap space for next year. That is not a typo...$40 million. You would have to sign Johnson to a huge offer sheet to pry him away from them.

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan

The Avs have $40 MM available in cap space for next year. That is not a typo...$40 million. You would have to sign Johnson to a huge offer sheet to pry him away from them.

Or, they rather the draft pick compensation. Who knows?

@doom88

I haven't been on the JvR = bum wagon, but if he can help our situation on defense by bringing back a good player in a trade then hasta-la- taco buddy...

Pronger = over and I would like to add another quality d- man so our top pairing is coburn metzaros, our second pairing is grosmann new kid and Timmonen works with MAB...if trading JvR who plays a position where we have depth brings new kid I'm for it. I don't want to dump him for a bag of pucks, I had heard of Johnson and heard he had top pairing ability.

@doom88 I know for myself, when I'm trying to squeeze JVR into every possible trade it's guarding against the worst case senario. That case would be that he flat out sucks next year and or get's hurt again and long term JVR saga develops where we can't give him away. We are Flyer fans, it's easy to anticipate something negative happening. It's in our blood....lol. So instead of that, we get a Eric Johnson or he's a big piece of a Ryan deal. Proven commodiites who will positevely impact the roster.

Who knows, maybe JVR nets 25-30 next year and eventually turns into a 40 goal guy.....or just as easily can slip into hockey oblivion and bounce from team to team living off the potential he never reaizes. The odds are literally 50/50 of either scenario happening.....so it's just covering all the bases, as far as JVR goes.

I agree AFF, I think really don't see Colorado making this deal straight up. The Flyers would have to send a D-man back. Gustavsson? Their D-corps isn't particularly impressive. Hejda, O'Byrne, Hunwick, Barre, Wilson, Johnson, and O'Brian is a UFA.

I like this trade proposal.

As an arm chair GM I say do it. Both are damaged to some extent. I watched allot of Johnson and thought he was the better of the two (jack). For JVR, no problem (and I am not a JVR hater at all, so that says allot).

this is the kind of deal i can get behind even if we have to throw in homer's standard 2nd round pick too.

We would need a 2nd round pick in the next decade first. Joking of course as our 2nd rounder (via LA Richards trade this year got Grossman.

In seriousness, would Colorado really do that trade?? Avs fans were IRATE with the trade that brought Johnson to Colorad and sent Stewart and Shattenkirk to St Louis (and rightfully so). I guess what I am saying is that Colorado needs to make up for that poor trade and JVR for Johnson straight up would not get that done in my mind.

If I am a Flyer GM, I would do it in a heart beat. Then I would also package our 3rd rounder and 1st round pick and a prospect at the AHL level to move up and pick Rienhart.

Reinhart and Johnson would be our 1/2 in 3 years. This upcoming year, johnson would be 3/4 (replace Carle) and Reinhart would be tearing up the AHL.

If the deal was to get done:

Here is what it looks like:

To Phi: Grossman, Erik Johnson, Schenn, Simmonds

To others: Richards, JVR, 3rd round pick

I would do that trade every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

JVR for a career minus RFA defensman (+1 his best season), PLUS you (some of you) want to cough up more?

Seems steep to me. Big, yes, right handed shot, yes, top -er- 60 in points (d-man), so what?

That deal will guarantee JVR wins the Cup before the Flyers. Maybe not with Colorado, but he will join the list of Sharp, Williams, Seidenberg, Richards, Carter, Fedotenko, etc. etc.

(I took Gagne out, because he wasn't young and realizing untapped potential.)

@TedZep It's almost like the hockey Gods have enforced some type of kharmic curse on us.....literally anyone we do not show undivided loyality to goes on to win the cup and rub it in our collective noses. I know other teams *must* have the same issues, having guys traded come back to show you up....but not to the extent it happens to the Flyers. It's uncanny....really. This large LA contigent just enforced what we already knew...we are cursed....lol.