So Do We Miss JVR?

Guest idahophilly

Oh, I'm pretty sure you're wrong about the pairing. Carle on the third pair? Really? Your ice time leader, your top point producing d-man? Your leading shot blocker? On the 3rd pair? I don't think so. I think a lot will depend on how much time they want to give Timo, and how Schenn looks in camp, but I could see it ending up:

Carle/Schenn

Timo/Coburn

Mesz/Grossman

Carle/Mesz was a pretty good pairing after Pronger went out, so I could see that happening if Schenn doesn't immediately impress. But Schenn has been used as a top shut down guy by the Leafs (yeah I know, it was the Leafs... but still) so I could see the Flyers eyeing him for the top pair.

My daughters name is Zhoey and she knows the song Jack Straw. She wanted to reply here:

llllllllld vcerawdc79444448a3erfttttttt ''-'

''

My daughters name is Zhoey and she knows the song Jack Straw. She wanted to reply here:

llllllllld vcerawdc79444448a3erfttttttt ''-'

''

Is that some sort of secret code?

Six months old and she already knows Jack Straw? How about Dark Star?

Six months old and she already knows Jack Straw? How about Dark Star?

She knows Jack Straw because I can hack at it on the guitar- and one of the few songs that if I sing, the dogs don't howl at the moon (sheep are a totally different conversation).

Dark Star? Baby steps my friend. Seriously, that might be a good bed time song (depending on the version).

The typing was her. She gagahed in my ear that it was an inkblot and for you to figure out.

Schenn/Carle pairing is absolutely scary. I don't think they would even try that, both prone to mistakes

Disagree, with respect, @jammer2

First of all, the notion that Carle is more prone to mistakes than others is a myth.

Second, Schenn's "deer in the headlights" (quoting you I think) problem is a function of him having poor foot speed, being on a crappy team with pressure to be a savior. Carle, with his mobility, vision and passing skills, is an ideal pairing for Luke. It will help his game immensely to have a partner like that as a 2nd or 3rd pairing.

A guy like Schenn can enliven his team with a hit. That juice can tip the balance in some games, even though it doesn't show up in the scoresheet. I wish JVR all the best and hope he stays healthy.

@jammer2

I did not put that pairing together. Blame that on that other hippie type.

But in all seriousness, you have three guys that play one style (Grossman, Meszarous and Schenn), then you have another three that play a different style (Carle, Cobourn, Timmo). You have to put schenn somewhere to get 16-18 min a night. Truthfully, I would put him next Kimmo. The first time in a long time that Kimmo can play left to right. Let those two play EV 15 minutes.

I am not sure what to do about the rest. Carle / Mesz, Grossman / Cobourn? All three pairs I would play 15 minutes EV. They are all capable. The other 15 minutes can be played out by the special team guys.

How else can you play it at this point? There is no longer a 1/2 or even a 3/4 on this team, just roll them- like the forward lines. Let the guys that excel at specialty get the extra minutes.

If I am Bourdon, my first shift in training camp is to go after Schenn, but he would have to put himself way out of position. I feel bad for him (bourdon)- back to the bus rides for him. We will know everything that the org thinks about him on his next contract signing.

Hope you are back on your feet soon!!!

Edited by Vanflyer

@blocker I look forward to having a physical hard nosed d-man on the squad. He hits harder than anyone we have, so I'm trying to stay optomisitc about other concerns I have. Have you heard from the youngster after the draft at all?

A guy like Schenn can enliven his team with a hit. That juice can tip the balance in some games, even though it doesn't show up in the scoresheet. I wish JVR all the best and hope he stays healthy.

You raise an excellent point regarding Luke. He is a monster on the hits. 6'2, nearly 230. But Dan McGillis was 6'3 231.

Truthfully, I don't mind the trade. JVR was getting whipped too much and Schenn was as well. What I really liked was what Brayden had to say about the call from Luke, their relationship and their drive to push each other. Allot of people poo poo'd on Brayden in October / November. Then they saw him play not perfect, but a Flyer brand of hockey once his injuries were healed.

Not to diss JVR, but Schenn played 10x bigger than JVR once he was healthy. He showed skill, vision and tanacity. He needs to work on his defensive game, but there were a few games last year that showed why he was highly coveted. I will beat drum all summer long: Schenn LW- Couturier center.

Back to Luke. He is 22 y/o big and sturdy (has missed maybe 10 games in his first 4 seasons). Hits and hits - sometimes too much (think Dan McGillis).

In the end, I think the Flyers thought so much of Brayden's character- and his imperfect first year, they wanted to gamble on is brother. I hate that JVR is still in the East, but good luck to him. I think he did everything he could to be a good pro hockey player. We can say he should have played Junior instead of college hockey, but that boat has sailed.

I will close with WELCOME LUKE TO BE THE NEW WHIPPING BOY OF THE FLYERS!! HA HA HA HA (sucks, eh). Give the kid a chance, eh?

Have you heard from the youngster after the draft at all?

Yup.......

He'll be here for a while until the rookie camp July 8. Unfortunately, we'll be in Long Island. He lost 15 pounds due to a broken jaw, but is gaining it back. I'd sure like to watch that camp.

Uh, maybe I'm missing something here, but there's a very simple solution to the defenseman TOI issue. First, I do prefer the following due to playing styles, and history where it applies:

Carle Schenn

Timonen Coburn

Meszaros Grossmann

Why not try to keep all three pairs at 20 TOI?

Beyond that, what about...

PP Pairs

Carle Mesz

Timonen Coburn

PK Pairs

Schenn Grossmann

Timonen Coburn

You can even load up as necessary, and still stay relatively balanced with TOI.

When did we start doing THAT on THIS forum?

You're right, and I apologize profusely. I'm normally above - or is it beneath? - that kind of crap. The Interwebs are a terrible influence.

How is Teddy doing these days?