Carle to get 5mill a year

Guest orange_crush

@orange_crush

Lol, I meant it in the nice possible way, of course. If everyone listened to you, they would, by definition, agree with you, right? That would be boring as hell. There's only one OC, just like there's only one Podein25. And thank Christ for that.

somebody on here needs to be honest and not be drunk on the Orange Kool aid...

Bleacherreports might be the one hockey site that is less credible than Eklund. Personally, I think Carle is nuts for not testing the market, but until I hear from a more reputable source, I have my doubts.

I hear it's an E7 though...so it's pretty credible..

Bleacherreports might be the one hockey site that is less credible than Eklund. Personally, I think Carle is nuts for not testing the market, but until I hear from a more reputable source, I have my doubts.

QFT

Wisneski got over 5 mill last year also for Columbus..this is the new going rate for a puckmoving dman

Kris Letang is getting $3.5 mil a year... And he's much better than Wideman or Carle. Now I'm worried what will happen in '14 when his contract is up!!

@Polaris922 I can guesstimate for you. Letang is easily one of the top 5 d-men in the league. Right now, if he was UFA he'd be asking for 7 mill a year, or double his current salary. Add in a few years and I'd have to say he could command 8 or even 9 per year. But hard to say, depends on if the owners take a salary cap stand in these rounds of CBA talks. The way it's been going up though...I'd have to say my numbers are pretty close.

• Like 1

@Polaris922 I can guesstimate for you. Letang is easily one of the top 5 d-men in the league. Right now, if he was UFA he'd be asking for 7 mill a year, or double his current salary. Add in a few years and I'd have to say he could command 8 or even 9 per year. But hard to say, depends on if the owners take a salary cap stand in these rounds of CBA talks. The way it's been going up though...I'd have to say my numbers are pretty close.

I've always been nice to you.. Why must you hurt me so?? ;) lol

Ouch... But he's a key to our success so what must be will be.

@Polaris922

well in 2014 some of the Pens defensive prospects recently acquired and drafted may be ready to replace him on the cheap. If Letang wants lots of money after Malkin signs his enormous contract , the drop off may not be as hideous as you imagine. your team now has some nice organizational depth at defense, by then some players may be ready for the NHL.

Just love what Letang brings...not only the offensvie punch, but how he battles, the leadership, the charisma, also...don't think he gets enough credit for what he does in his own zone. I gotta stop, gonna start taking heat for throwing so many compliments at a enemy Pen....LOL!

@Polaris922

well in 2014 some of the Pens defensive prospects recently acquired and drafted may be ready to replace him on the cheap. If Letang wants lots of money after Malkin signs his enormous contract , the drop off may not be as hideous as you imagine. your team now has some nice organizational depth at defense, by then some players may be ready for the NHL.

True... I am thinking with his being brought up through our system and the success he's had here, plus Crosby and if Malkin signs... we may get a little home team discount for him because he's happy. I suppose a lot can change between now and then, and the way prices for quality D seem to be going, he won't be cheap regardless.

Just love what Letang brings...not only the offensvie punch, but how he battles, the leadership, the charisma, also...don't think he gets enough credit for what he does in his own zone. I gotta stop, gonna start taking heat for throwing so many compliments at a enemy Pen....LOL!

I think he's Norris Trophy material for all aspects of his game. Keeping him paired with a guy like Orpik seems to help his game even more because he can get back so quickly for any turnover, and having a stay at home type guy slow down any odd man breaks gives him time to do so. I love his play too, so I'm hoping for many more years of him on the blue.

Letang is a very good defenseman as far as offense and skating are concerned, even a PP conduit, but I think his defense isn't that good. He's adequate, but it is the other (somewhat rare) skills make him valuable overall.

• Like 1

@doom88 I see a lot of physicality from him. He always gives 100% effort. Yes, there are certainly much better guys in their own zones, but I do think it's one aspect of his game he does not get enough credit for. Just speaking in terms of offensive d-men, Letang's defense is MUCH better than Carles.

@doom88 and jammer , what are the stats for the amount of Carles shots that were blocked by the opposition,it must be astronomical.

I'm just busting balls here, it looks like Carle may be our only option for 5 million, Weidman and Carle get that, Suter must get 7 or 8. I sure hope the Pens don't get Parise and Suter like I keep reading. Also the last thing we want is the Rangers getting another talented dman,be it Schultz or god forbid Suter.

what are the stats for the amount of Carles shots that were blocked by the opposition,it must be astronomical.

Nope, don't think so. Maybe you're confusing him with Coburn, but even Coburn has gotten better at (not) having his shots blocked.

Ironically, one of Carle's strenghts is that his shot is miserable. He knows this as well as anyone. So he usually chooses to pass, dump it deep, slap-pass it or just blasts it low wide of the net (a play I like very much I might add).

Carle gets no credit for being mobile by many here (as if it grows on trees or something), but he also gets no credit for being an intelligent player. Hell, @jammer2 thinks he' stupid, just because he doesn't like him.

He may or may not be "worth" $5M but that's the reality of the market. There are teams that would kill for his mobility, puck moving abilities and durability.

• Like 3

Coburns shots never get blocked, ,they are always 10 feet over the net. If you look back on his rookie season,when he actually scored some goals,his shot was actually real good. I may be mistaken but I believe Coburn was on the right point that year,and then he was moved to the left side,ever since.Maybe we need to put him back on the right point. As far as Carle goes ,you are right,he does not shoot much,since his shot is like a limp noodle,but when he does it's usually blocked.

he does not shoot much,since his shot is like a limp noodle,but when he does it's usually blocked.

Yeah, ok bud, believe what you want. Good luck finding any statistical evidence to support that.