would you...L + B Schenn for Weber?

Guest ctid

@Polaris922 your post reads like Pronger has the Rickets or something, he's not a cripple, LOL. :ph34r: i think he has the savvy and knows the game well enough where he can anticipate the play and moves well enough to side step a shot block attempt. He's slow but still ambulatory.

Wait... he DOESN'T have Rickets?? :ph34r: I just think you're better off with a young prospect getting some ice time than Pronger. He's 5th or 6th D at best now, so why not use the ice to develop some youth that just may prove more valuable?

@jammer2

He has hellacious spearing potential!

Lindros to is one that don't come around often and is my favorite Flyer of all time sorry if people don't agree. But wonder what would have happened if the Flyers would have kept Forsberg and the other 40 players the traded for him. Because with them they where basically a one line team...hard in todays era for one player to shoulder that load.

If Lindros could have stayed healthy and the issues between him and Clark never existed, the team may have eventually been able to build the depth necessary for the team to win a cup. The Legion of Doom we're awesome to watch, but you are right. A one line team is not enough today.

Wait... he DOESN'T have Rickets?? :ph34r: I just think you're better off with a young prospect getting some ice time than Pronger. He's 5th or 6th D at best now, so why not use the ice to develop some youth that just may prove more valuable?

@jammer2

He has hellacious spearing potential!

Perhaps, but Pronger prefers boot chopping a bit more.

• Like 1

If Lindros could have stayed healthy and the issues between him and Clark never existed, the team may have eventually been able to build the depth necessary for the team to win a cup. The Legion of Doom we're awesome to watch, but you are right. A one line team is not enough today.

Well it was really a one line team and Brindy.

That is it.

Hextall was a sieve.

I believe it they had just obtained a goaltender...

...ie. traded for Beezer that year they may have won it or certainly not been swept.

Even with the Dcorp they had i'm actually amazed they made it to the finals.

I'll never forget sitting on my couch (living in Lexington, N.C.)had just had my first Woodchuck...

...a friend said something about them at work, so i said what the hell (i felt a sweep coming) i'll drown my sorrows with something new.

...It's not my kind of beer taste to much like a wine cooler...

...but i still sat there and killed the whole six pack, mind you on an empty stomach.....

....aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnddddddddd i wwwwaaaasssssss ffffffffffffffuuuuuuuccccccccccckkkkkeeeddddddddd uuuuuppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And disappointed...i really knew how drunk i was because it seems i watch the whole game without peeing(i know somewhere in there i just forgot getting up and doing it) and when i got up i fell on my face... :blink:

Edited by OccamsRazor

You can't offer sheet weber if he is looking to leave the preds so that's not a choice.

Sure you can. It would just burn a relationship (for awhile). Even if he is looking to leave the Preds, he is in no different negotiating boat than he is with the Preds.

Schenn + the picks does seem light, but I am just getting tired of the increasing over-inflation for players. Weber is a damn fine player and a rare one at that. A Schenn + MAB + 4 picks could get it done. But this 3 or 4 playerf plus picks is just too much for me to handle.

I have been the guy that keeps asking on why everyone thinks Weber will be available next summer. However, the more I think about- especially in context to our discussion, the more it seems reasonable that occurs (IF he does not re-sign with Nashville).

The clincher is that I think Weber wants to win- and he wants to win not 4-5 years from now. How many teams have the assets that you are proposing to give to Nashville while also remaining competitive now- or at least in one more year AND also has the cap room to spend in getting Weber AND replacing traded players?

The answer is VERY, VERY few. The Flyers are out now that they have traded JVR. Who else? Look at the 16 teams that made the playoffs last year and who do you see making that kind of play for Weber, while remaining competitive.

What does that all mean? That he won't give moved this summer as the price tag will be too steep. The next opportunity Poile will have is the trade deadline. At that point the door is wide open for Poile to trade with ANYONE. His price will have to go down, but his list of teams will have gone up.

I could easily see two teams:

1) Edmonton- they have an over abundance of young forward talent that could readily net Weber.

2) Columbus- This might sound laughable, but I could see Weber going to Columbus for Nash and middle picks. The problem is that Columbus is not AS hurting on the d-side as they are on the forward side, so perhaps that is not a logical trade.

Now you are Weber. Do you want to play in the artic tundra of northern Alberta ever year for another 5 years minimum? Maybe? Maybe you like the team make-up. Do you want to play for Columbus where they are still 3 years away from having any serious team (more if they keep that chimpanzee in the front office)? No.

So, despite your team moving you, you tell your new team at the end of the season that you are going to test free agency and thanks but no thanks.

• Like 1

Your not understanding my point. You cannot offer sheet weber. He will not sign it. Period. End of story. No matter if you give maximum amount. He will not risk the preds matching and keeping him long term. Remember any offer sheet signed and matched by the current team the contract is in effect of however it's written.

@Vanflyer Do you think Gagner, Yakapov, Schultz and 2 firsts would be fair for Weber?....not really the guaranteed deal they could get from other teams, but a cash strapped franchise like Nashville would get immediate cap relief and really set them up for a long time to come. That would give them 4 firsts in the next 4 years and there is a real good chance 2 of those would be lottery picks. It would be enticing....but not sure it's enough NHL proven talent.....maybe switch Hemsky for Gagner?

@Vanflyer Do you think Gagner, Yakapov, Schultz and 2 firsts would be fair for Weber?....not really the guaranteed deal they could get from other teams, but a cash strapped franchise like Nashville would get immediate cap relief and really set them up for a long time to come. That would give them 4 firsts in the next 4 years and there is a real good chance 2 of those would be lottery picks. It would be enticing....but not sure it's enough NHL proven talent.....maybe switch Hemsky for Gagner?

I'f I'm Edmonton I don't do this deal. No way no how. Weber is a great D-man... but he's one guy.

• Like 1

@Polaris922 I guess a lot depends on when the Oil think their "window" starts to open....Not sold on Dubnyk....so pretty skeptical. From an Edmonton perspective, they will have to trade young forward talent at some point for a star d-man, drafting one will take 5-6 years for him to reach a point that it will help them in a cup run....at some point they have to bite the bullet.

@jammer2

If they want a true star caliber d-man I agree... but honestly that's a LOT of product you're listing to trade there. I'd rather conserve it and get a d-man perhaps a little below Weber's level if need be. I think they need a little time to mature their talent anyway, so no sense selling off the farm just for one cow.

Gagner and Shultz and 2 firsts would be enough in my book. I would totally keep Yakapov as he would replace the center vacancy left by Gagner- and in my mind would be paying too much for Weber, especially considering where Edmonton picks recently. Gagner is a RFA this year. Schultz is signed through next year (at 3.5). The draft picks would be considerable. The thing is that Weber would want to have to go and if I was Edmonton, I would want to have a "timmonen / hartnell" type of situation where we gave them a 1st round pick- conditional on being allowed to speak with them first to see if they would sign.

Your not understanding my point. You cannot offer sheet weber. He will not sign it. Period. End of story. No matter if you give maximum amount. He will not risk the preds matching and keeping him long term. Remember any offer sheet signed and matched by the current team the contract is in effect of however it's written.

You are right, I totally missed that point. That puts things in a bit of a pickle all the way around. Now if Nashville had signed Sutter, we would not be having this discussion. It is kind of a Brad Mccrimmon / Mark Howe situation in that they loved playing together and complimented each other so well. The beast / howe situation was dissolved because of a poor trade. The Sutter / Weber situation was dissolved because- who knows?

But here comes the problem. If Weber does not want to be there, he does not want to be there. End of story. Being an armchair know-it-all, I think he was truly bummed that Sutter went elsewhere. Had Sutter signed, I think he would have signed as well. The big problem with nashville is that they have a really good team, but are hurting up front. The irony is that they have cash now. If you put put a list of the expansion teams:

Phoenix

Tampa

Fl

Atlanta

Carolina

Nashville

Nashville has been one of the best run organizations out of all of them (perhaps tied with Carolina)- especially considering limited budget. The biggest pisser is that is Sutter was any kind of upstanding guy, he would have convinced Parise to go play in Nashville. All three take 7.5 mil for 5 years. That still would have left Nashville with 8m to fill forward needs. As sorrowful as Minnesota has been (and I was always bummed when the NorthStars moved to dallas) I am vehemently rooting against them for awhile.

At least what Kariya and Selanne did with Colorado awhile back was completely transparent and had ZERO to do with money. This is the opposite with Sutter and Parise.

I totally rambled. But I agree I missed that point and truly Weber I think Weber will leave. I hope he does not- just as a stand of manmanship. I mean it is not like he is playing for Columbus, Atlanta, Florida, Toronto, or Tampa.

To be honest I believe Nashville would be a better team with the assests from a trade. Fir example.... Philly doesn't trade jvr. Jvr, voracek, coburn , bourdon a few picks. That fills holes with talented players. However this cba could increase the years needed to reach ufa. So he could be stuck in Nashville for a few more years. That would be awful. Ek would have a weber rumor everyday

@Jmdodgesrt4 Speaking of Ek Weber rumors....ha ha, "Of course there isn't an NHL team in existence who won't explore this, so you have to look more to the teams who have the funds to pay a D-man close to max money and who have the depth to give the Preds 2 top 6 forwards, 1 top 4 defender, 2 top flight prospects, and at least 2 first round draft picks... and in making the trade you have to be sure Weber will want to sign long-term with you...so basically: Who is nuts enough to do this?

From talking to people since the end of the season I know the Rangers, Sabres, Canadiens, Flyers, Bruins, Leafs, Wings, Hawks, Flames, Jets, and Canucks are among the interested. "

I know he's a load of crap, but in this instance, I don't think he is to far off the mark. This is the best all round d-man in his prime, in his prime, a work horse with limited injury history. I agree, 2 top 6 forwards, a top 4 d-man, 2 wicked prospects and at least one if not 2 first rounders. It's crazy, but somebody will pay it. I will be the biggest return for a player in NHL history....bar none. So basically, a quarter of your team and years of depleated farm system and draft picks. I would not pay this much, but like I said, I honestly believe, somebody will. Of course, a 10 mill cap hit is the number I have in mind, but it might even be 11 mill a year for the maximum they are allowed to give in contract length.