Will the lockout help the salary cap?

Guest NCFlyer10

I believe there was something in his contract along those lines, I remember last year when he was sent to the Phantoms everyone said how it will save cap space.

The lockout will significantly help the salary cap though. No season = no payroll!

I'm sure I'm wrong

I start every conversation with Mrs S with that phrase.....

To the question, lockouts or guys playing with the Phantoms or whatever has no positive or negative impact on getting under the cap. The cap is measured on per annum basis, you don't get to say well we're only gonna pay 35 mil for half a season and the cap is 70 so we're gonna sign the starting lineup of the Moscow Dynamo

Well, to NC's point, regarding Schenn in particular, if he has the same clause in his contract this year as last (which isn't a given), I would expect that it will be based on playing all of the games of the NHL season. So if the season is lockout shortened to say sixty games, he will lose that bonus if he plays in 59. I doubt they'll be able to say that him not playing 82 games in a shortened season means that his bonus comes off the books and get away with it.

@AJgoal " I doubt they'll be able to say that him not playing 82 games in a shortened season means that his bonus comes off the books and get away with it. "

Well, his agent knew when the CBA was up, so there was an obvious risk (if the bonus clause is the same this season) involved in collecting it this year....so I don't see how Scheen and his agent would get away with that...59 games is 59 games...whether he has the ability to play or not...unless they were smart and put in percentages to cover the event of a strike.