Bryz ...still crazy.

Guest SoCalFlyfan

yup. for whatever reason he didn't react to the puck bouncing off callahan's skate.

It's tough to say he should have had it because it was a deflection, but I agree that he just didn't look ready. He wasn't anticipating the play and wasn't in great position. So he *could* have stopped it, but I have a hard time jumping to *should* have. Suffice it to say, he's not been great, and he is being paid to be much better than he is.

That said, bob has not been great either. He let in a bad goal the other game and then settled down and played well, but he was guilty of the same thing as bryz... Letting in a bad first goal. We can argue back and forth about being rusty from not starting, but I think everyone realizes its bryz's job to lose, so bobs simply gotta be better before we can talk about sitting our $70m* man.

*seems his price just keeps getting higher with every complaint, so there you go.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That said, bob has not been great either. He let in a bad goal the other game and then settled down and played well, but he was guilty of the same thing as bryz... Letting in a bad first goal.

the one where hartnell and meszaros stood literally shoulder to shoulder making a soccer-like wall 15 feet in front of bob? that was about total a screen as you're gonna see.

maybe he needed to find someway to look around it, but that play fell into place pretty quick. still, your point is taken; bob hasn't quite demanded additional starts....and i still think that $70.1mil contract says bryzgalov is and will be the guy. he just keeps reinforcing the arguement that it was a terrible deal.

The difference is, Bob is letting in one occasional soft goal. Our 72m goalie systemically allows two per game it seems, virtually killing all momentum over and over again.

Bob has earned more starts, but the other guy is being paid a Bryzillion dollars.

I'm from Maryland, grew up here my whole life. My location is PA because I go to Penn State but I'm home on break. I life pretty much dead center between Baltimore and Annapolis in a town called Severn, right next to Ft. Meade.

I know exactly where that is, and pass through periodically.

For anyone who thinks that goalies haven't always been crazy...

http://www.csnphilly...8610&feedID=695

In the final minutes of 1974, with the dreams of any hockey lifetime hanging by one goal against Bobby Orr and Phil Esposito, Parent called over Simon Nolet.

“From the bench I see Simon give him an annoyed wave and skate away,” Clarke said. “I asked him ‘what did that crazy bleeper say?’ and Simon told me he was bragging about his new golf clubs.”

Edited by JackStraw

For anyone who thinks that goalies haven't always been crazy...

http://www.csnphilly...8610&feedID=695

In the final minutes of 1974, with the dreams of any hockey lifetime hanging by one goal against Bobby Orr and Phil Esposito, Parent called over Simon Nolet.

“From the bench I see Simon give him an annoyed wave and skate away,” Clarke said. “I asked him ‘what did that crazy bleeper say?’ and Simon told me he was bragging about his new golf clubs.”

Respectfully Jack - I think you're taking that out of context. My overwhelming impression from that article was that Bernie was the main calming influence on that team. He would say sh!t like that to guys in the heat of battle to keep them loose, then "...back to [their] concentration...", as it were. Seems like he was otally calculated, not loose cannon....

... under excruciating pressure, the “most together person” that Bobby Taylor, Parent’s Flyer backup, claims he’s ever known was Parent, which left his teammates laughing.  

“Take the edge off a little bit, then get back to your concentration,” said Parent. “My lord, it worked.”   

Edited by bernardmarcel1

@bernardmarcel1

Respectfully, no... I'm not taking it out of context. Bernie was a well known flake. In a good way of course, but flaky nonetheless.

“He’s a Frenchman and a goaltender,” says former Flyer teammate Bob Kelly. “So you know he’s wacky. [but] he’s gone through a lot.”

http://www.phillymag.com/articles/legends_bernie_parent_has_a_secret/page2

@JackStraw "Respectfully, no... I'm not taking it out of context. Bernie was a well known flake. In a good way of course, but flaky nonetheless."

Well agree to disagree semantically, I guess. "Flake" has a definite negative connotation IMHO - I've read a lot about Bernie & he was one of the main leaders of that team, probably second only to Clarkie. My take on it was that he had a "wacky" sense of humor (esp. for the times as an athlete), but a stone cold killer when it came to goaltending. Even 16 said he would "follow Bernie across the water..." His levity at certain times on the ice was calculated & a means to an end as far as keeping himself & his boys on an even keel in rediculously high pressure situations. When it came to his work - you can't really begin to use a word like "flake" - the results speak for themselves. If he were to follow up those 1-0, 2-0 shutouts in the SCF's by giving up 5-6 goals, then maybe.

So within the context of this thread "Bryz...Still Crazy" - I don't think you can even put Bryz in the same, um, "universe" (forgive me :unsure:) as Bernie - Bryz is a true "flake" if you ask me. Dude gets a major payday, emancipation from a 3rd tier hockey market to one of the best hockey towns / organizations in the NHL, has the best offense in the league playing in front of him as well as the top 5 D, & the ****** is still playing like its the preseason. Now that's the ******* definition of flaky right there.

@bernardmarcel1

I agree that it's probably a matter of what one means by "flake". I don't mean it in any kind of negative way, and that includes my opinion of Bryzgalov. I don't think his personality is a problem, he's just "flaky". He keeps things loose. Unfortunately, his goaltending is even looser. If he was playing well everyone would love him. Right now he's stinking up the joint so he's got the fans' bullseye on him.

Save percentage of .6875 last night......During his post game interview, you could see his frustration with his own play. He knows he is playing bad but has been unable to change that. This is where it is time for the coach to make the "hard decision" and start Bob. Bryz knows he is still lost in the woods. The onus has to be Lavi to make the change even if it goes against the wishes of the GM and Owner. It becomes his(Lavi's) responsibility to convince them.

I really think they're (Homer and Ed mostly) afraid Bob will come in and steal the show, and their "Big FA signing" this summer will really look stupid - if it could possibly look (and be) any more stupid already.

My only fear is they put Bob on an extremely short leash because all along they're hoping and praying Bryz is still their "legit #1 goalie."

I hope we don't "ruin" Bob the same way we kinda screwed-over Nittymaki. I never thought Nitty was anything super-special when he was here but he wasn't exactly supported by Hitchcock. One bad period and he was back on the bench for 2 weeks.

Luckily Bob seems to have the knack of recovering quickly from his mistakes.

Damn Damn damn... Bob should've been our #1 goaltender this year...We never should've hired Bryzgalov and his hype...oh well, what's done is done. I'll get over it eventually (probably not).

@canoli

It's looking stupid already as the league is most likely laughing at them, just admit the stupid mistake and play Bob. Can it get any worst then it is already? Probably not. I don't get it here, they have been showing patience with Bryz (probably due to his pay), why can't they show that patience towards Bob? We have 8 more years to get over it unless a miracle happens in the offseason.

82? I think you mean 738 games plus playoffs, maybe he plays 540 of those and thats averaging 60 per year. I do not look forward to watching him play in that many games.

Hey Vince! Looks like I was completely wrong on this one!!! How many beer do I owe you??? lol