Iginla

Guest AndyS

What do you all think it would realistically take to trade for him?

Laughton & a 2nd?

I would hate to give up much for a guy who has not been productive lately, but I think he could actually be a good pick-up for the Flyers. If we could acquire him without giving up any of the young guns, I say do it.

He could bring some grit that we are sorely lacking, and a change of scenery could put some jam back into his own game too.

Why? I don't think he can play defense or goalie. The guy is fraction of the player he used to be. Simmonds > Iginla. Would make no point this season. The Flyers just aren't good enough to play with the big boys. The Flyers need to get rid of some guys and retool for next season as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 3

I just don't see what Iginla brings to the Flyers - or why the Flyers would give up a 1st (Laughton) and 2nd for a rental on a team that simply isn't going to "compete for the Stanley Cup" this season.

Quite frankly, when I hear that the Bruins are "looking for a Western Conference vet who hasn't won a Cup" for their run, I hear "Jarome Iginla".

@AndyS

Laughton & a 2nd?

I never said I would give up a lot for him.

I'm going to go ahead and say that you and I have differing definitions of "a lot."

(I have zero interest in Iginla. Just another "get an old guy at the expense of youth, prospects, and/or picks" move)

@AndyS

I'm going to go ahead and say that you and I have differing definitions of "a lot."

(I have zero interest in Iginla. Just another "get an old guy at the expense of youth, prospects, and/or picks" move)

We'd have to give up something.

When was the last time we did anything productive with a 2nd rounder? And you think Laughton is some kind of franchise cornerstone? He looks like just another forward to me. I'd rather lose him than Cooter.

I think Iginla could actually help this team. He'd give us a much-needed snarl & some leadership.

Edited by AndyS

@AndyS

So we give up Laughton and a 2nd, for what? Iginla helps us to end up 9th in the east? Or we sneak into the playoffs and go out in the first round? Where does the $7 million in capspace come from? Do we now lose another young player to keep a guy who's best days are years ago? And finally, we get a worse pick in the draft because he helped us win a handful of games.

That's a lose-lose-lose proposition there if you ask me.

When was the last time we did anything productive with a 2nd rounder? And you think Laughton is some kind of franchise cornerstone? He looks like just another forward to me. I'd rather lose him than Cooter.

I think Iginla could actually help this team. He'd give us a much-needed snarl & some leadership.

Could he help the team? Probably. Somewhat. But not enough to make any kind of real difference. I don't think the Flyers are in dire need of either of the things you mention. They already lead the league in penalties. Rinaldo, Hartnell, Simmonds, the Schenn brothers... the Flyers have plenty of sandpaper. They've got two former captains, one current captain and guys like Hartnell, Gagne, Talbot who provide leadership. The Flyers need help at the other end of the rink, not at forward. Iginla is one of my all time favorite players, but at this point he's not what the Flyers need. And since he's a UFA at the end of the year, there is no way I'd give up anything for him. The Flyers have bigger fish to fry. If you're going to trade a mid-low round pick make it for depth on D or a competent backup goalie.

• Like 1

If the team looked better than they do and like they were a single player from being over the top, I'd go for him. He could fill the roll that Jagr did last year. The fact that he's not productive means nothing to me becuase the Flames are terrible.

But we're more than just a scoring winger away from a cup. Maybe he's the "Jagr" type signing this off season to help the team in leadership and experience and what not and punch in some goals here and there. Give those covering the Giroux line something else to worry about?

He could be that guy, but right now, like AlbertaFlyer said, we need a defenseman (anyone who thinks goalie is a problem had better be looking a few years into the future because overall, I think Bryz has been pretty awesome -give or take a period here or there- and I wouldn't hang most of our losses on him at all, which is a huge difference from last year).

Right now, Calagary's gotta be in rebuild mode. I'd rather take a crack at J Bo (with the caveat of CBA approved salary swallow) but I don't think that can happen until the off season... anyone know? We need size on defense. J Bo hasn't panned out to be the next Pronger, so for 4.5 million or so I'd take him to be something in between Pronger and Carle.

He's a UFA after this season and he's 35 years old. I wouldn't trade anything for him.

Well, we don't have to give up something. Not for Iginla, anyway. I don't think he at all helps what we're lacking and I don't think the Flyers re-sign him. So we've traded a top-flight prospect and a 2nd for 2 months of a wasted season. I have no interest in geriatrics (says a guy who is 9 years older than Iginla).

It just says "Adam Oates" and "Petr Nedved" to me. I think he's well-passed his prime.

• Like 1

When was the last time we did anything productive with a 2nd rounder?

Well, this team has only had five 2nd round picks since 1998. Three of those were in 2006 (including Nodl). They drafted two defensemen with them, who have yet to play an NHL game.

And they've only had five 2nd round picks because they... keep dealing them.

What did they miss? Well, the 2003 pick was Maxim Lapierre (traded for Eric Chouinard). 2004 - Brandon Dubinsky (Tony Amonte). 2005 - Ondrej Pavelec (Malakhov).

The 2010 2nd they dealt to LA so LA would take Gauthier. The 2011 2nd went to Phoenix to sweeten the Upshall-for-Carcillo deal.

They picked up Stolarz with the 2 in 2012.

Only 5 second round picks in 15 years? Holy crap. I knew they threw away 2nd round picks like Taylor Swift throws away boyfriends (and singing lessons), but that's worse than I thought.

2012 - Stolarz

2008-2011 - none

2007 - Kevin Marshall (D - 10 NHL games played)

2006 - Nodl, Mike Ratchuk (D - 0 NHL games), Denis Bodrov (D - 0 NHL games)

1999-2005 - none

1998 - Jason Beckett, Ian Forbes (both D - 0 NHL games)

1997 - Pelletier, Pat Kavanagh (D - 14 NHL games)

1996 - none

1995 - Shane Kenny (D - 0 NHL games)

1994 - none

1993 - Janne Niinimaa

Since Niinimaa, the Flyers burned seven 2nd rounders on defensemen who went on to play, combined, 24 NHL games).

In 12 years, they had no second rounder at all.

Like I said, when was the last time WE (you know, the Flyers!) actually made a productive pick with a 2nd rounder? They seem utterly incapable of it. (Do we have a scouting problem?)

So why lose sleep over a 2nd rounder that we're not going to do anything with anyway?

Like I said, when was the last time WE (you know, the Flyers!) actually made a productive pick with a 2nd rounder? They seem utterly incapable of it. (Do we have a scouting problem?)

So why lose sleep over a 2nd rounder that we're not going to do anything with anyway?

Well, if I'm going to trade it (and definitely if you throw in Laughton), then I'd rather trade it for 1) something we need and 2) something of value.

Iginla at 35 combined with a team going nowhere doesn't qualify for either criteria. My biggest problem really isn't what you're trading away, it's what you're trading FOR.

• Like 2

Assuming the defnition of insanity to be repeating the same behavior expecting different resuls, I might suggest changing the behavior.

They lost out on Pavalec to get Malakhov and Dubinsky to get Amonte...

• Like 1

Assuming the defnition of insanity to be repeating the same behavior expecting different resuls, I might suggest changing the behavior.

They lost out on Pavalec to get Malakhov and Dubinsky to get Amonte...

Well, yeah, but you have to admit that turned out pretty well.