Sergey Bobrovsky's interview to Sport-Express.ru

Guest Vincent05

Credit to CSKA1974 on HF board for posting this.

Sergey Bobrovsky: “The report that Bryzgalov and I are not speaking to each other just a rumor.”

By Nataliya Shmeleva

After the game in Dallas everyone in the Flyers locker room fist bumped Bobrovsky and said “Molodec!” in Russian (Closest translation would be “way to go!” in my opinion, CSKA) . Moreover, there were more cheering words in Russian. Clearly, that the language barrier between Bobrovsky and the team has been lowered with the arrival of Bryzgalov.

It was evident that Bob was satisfied with his performance.

Q: I noticed that you skate inside the net before the initial face- off. Is it your pre -game ritual?

A: It’s my way to prepare for a game. You can call it a ritual. It helps me to concentrate and to prepare mentally.

Q: The goal in Dallas game was both quick and sudden. What went wrong?

A: That was a bad start. You are right, it was rather unexpected. But I was screened and did not see the shot. Everything was OK after that.

Q: What has Bryzgalov taught you?

A: I will not reveal all the secrets. It’s in between us goalies. We have our own language, But seriously, Ilya has told me stories about life and hockey.

Q: Really? There were rumors in the beginning of the season that you were not on speaking terms.

A: I have no idea why. We communicate well- we have become friends.

Q: Do you follow Russian news?

A: I do not follow the press even hockey. All my spare time I dedicate to my beloved wife. During the trips I read books and share dinners with Ilya.

Q: What are you reading now?

A: A book by Akunin, very interesting.

Q: Have you been interested at all in WJC?

A: Certainly. I will peek into it if I have time. I watched the final game last year. We had just got into a hotel in New Jersey and I was able to see the Canada- Russia game.

Q: You have played about 1/3 of all the games. How is being determined in Philadelphia which goalie will play?

A: I learn about it 1 day before a game. And I have no idea when I will be playing again.

Q: May be you can ask the coach yourself to play you; or to relieve you if you are not feeling well?

A: If I do this, it will be very disrespectful to my friend. Of course, if I get sick, I can decline to play. But I have to let them know in advance, so that the partner can get ready. I would not want to put him under undue pressure.

Q: There is an avalanche of concussions in the league. May be it can be explained by the fact that players used to ignore their symptoms and returned to play still concussed?

A: I have not had a concussion yet (knocks on wood). There is enormous competition in the NHL; so I would agree that some guys had returned to the ice without finishing medical treatments. On the other hand the speed of the game has risen. You lose your concentration for a moment and you are hit by a freight train. Therefore number of injuries has increased.

Q: How is your English? Better?

A: A little bit, I have to communicate. But I am not able to give an interview yet. I understand a lot, but have difficulty speaking. I mix up the order of words in a sentence, and it sounds funny. But I am not really concerned about it – everything will fall in place with more time.

Q: Do you still have a problem with the shortage of Russian groceries in the USA?

A: (Smiles) My wife is now responsible for purchases- I don’t do shopping anymore.

Q: Does having your wife here help your job?

A: Of course. Olga and I have wonderful relationship. It was difficult prior to her arrival- I was alone with my thoughts. Now, with her here, I have full support.]

I think Bob will develope BETTER with having Bryz here to take the brunt of Philly's angst against whoever is percieved as the #1 goalie.

That's not really the issue... if you are the Flyers, and you've just signed what you believe to be a #1 goaltender for 9 years on direct orders from the president, are you really going to entertain re-upping Bobrovsky once his contract expires after next season at more than his current $1.75M ?

And if you're Bobrovsky, stuck behind a guy who will be there for 9 years barring a buy out or a trade that Bryz agrees to, why would you re-sign with Philly? Any smart agent will advise him to sign elsewhere.

And if you're Bobrovsky, stuck behind a guy who will be there for 9 years barring a buy out or a trade that Bryz agrees to, why would you re-sign with Philly? Any smart agent will advise him to sign elsewhere.

Bob doesn't exactly have a choice until he is a FA. Currently he is on an entry level contract, when that ends next year he will be a RFA.

Bob doesn't exactly have a choice until he is a FA. Currently he is on an entry level contract, when that ends next year he will be a RFA.

Sure, he has a choice. He doesn't need to sign anything. The Flyers won't let that happen.. they will in all likelihood trade him.

Sure, he has a choice. He doesn't need to sign anything. The Flyers won't let that happen.. they will in all likelihood trade him.

I guess if Bob were to pull a Turris, then sure he could force a trade. I don't know how well that will go over really, there are only 60 NHL goalie jobs in the league every year. The position is becoming rather competative. Teams are constantly bringing in the new entry level goalie to save some cap space. Some may have an opening, but he may not be guaranteed even a back-up position. The league soon enough will be saturated with quality goaltending.

For now though he is signed with the Flyers till the end of 2013 with an entry level contract.

...or Bryz will be bought out.

The latter the less likely of the two.

Highly unlikely but...

How does that work exactly?

Flyers give him the balance of his contract and then he is free to sign anywhere else...right? Salary cap come into play for years he was originally signed?

I don't know too much about the CBA

Ordinary Buyouts (as opposed to the one time Complience Buyouts last offseason) are pretty much the same as they were under the old CBA:

2/3's of the remaining salary (1/3 if player is under 26yo) paid out over 2x the remaining number of years on the contract.

Buyouts do count against the cap, but it is not just a straight forward Buyout Dollars/Buyout Years, due to the way salaries are averaged over multi year deals for cap purposes. If the actual salary paid on the deal prior to the buyout is more than the cap averaged salary for those years (ie the averaging gave them a cap discount), then that discount is counted against the cap over the remaining life of the original contract in addition to the actual buyout dollars over the 2x term. The converse is true - if the amout paid was less than the averaged cap hit, they get a cap credit back against the buyout.

For all the gory details see Article 50.5 (d) (iii) in the CBA:

Quote: (iii) Treatment of Ordinary Course Buyouts for Purposes of Calculating Averaged Club Salary. As a result of the averaging rules set forth in this Agreement, the actual Player Salary and Bonuses paid to a Player in a League Year of an SPC may be either more, or less, than the Averaged Amount of such SPC included in the Club's Averaged Club Salary for such League Year. If a Club elects to buy out an SPC pursuant to the Ordinary Course Buyout provision set forth in Section 50.9(i) below, the disparity between the actual Player Salary and Bonuses paid in the earlier League Year(s) of the SPC and the Averaged Amount included in the Club's Averaged Club Salary in such League Year(s) is accounted for in how the buyout agreement is treated for purposes of averaging. For a Club that buys out an SPC pursuant to an Ordinary Course Buyout, the amount to be included in the Club's Averaged Club Salary for each League Year during the term of the buyout agreement is determined as follows:

(A) For a League Year during the term of the original SPC that was bought out, the included amount is the original Averaged Amount of the SPC for that League Year, reduced by the amount of the buyout "savings" for that League Year (with "buyout savings" defined as the actual amount of Player Salary and Bonuses that was to be paid under the SPC for such League Year minus the amount of Player Salary that is to be paid under the buyout agreement). If the amount of buyout "savings" in a League Year is more than the original Averaged Amount for such League Year, then the amount of such excess is included in the Averaged Club Salary for such League Year as a "credit."

( B) For a League Year following the term of the original SPC that was bought out, the amount included in the Club's Averaged Club Salary is the amount of Player Salary that is to be paid under the buyout agreement for that League Year.

The method for calculating the includable amounts for a Club's Averaged Club Salary is set forth in the following Illustrations. For each Illustration, assume that the Player is over age 26 and therefore is entitled to two-thirds (2/3) of his remaining Player Salary, to be paid over twice the remaining length of the SPC, in the event he is bought out pursuant to an Ordinary Course Buyout. Also, assume for all illustrations that the Player signed a three-year SPC, which is bought out after the first League Year (Year 1), and therefore, the Player is entitled to earn two-thirds (2/3) of the remaining Player Salary owed under the SPC over Years 2 through 5.

PHP Code:

Illustration #1:

Year 1 Year 2 Year 3 Year 4 Year 5

1. Original SPC Amount $4.0M $2.5M $2.5M

2. Original Averaged Amt. $3.0M $3.0M $3.0M

3. Buyout Amount (2/3 of $5M) $1.666M $1.666M (Total = $3.333M)

4. Buyout Amt. Over twice 833,000 $833,000 $833,000 $833,000

Length of original SPC

5. Buyout "Savings" $1.666M $1.666M - -

(Line 1 minus Line 4)

6. Amt. Included in $1.333M $1.333M $833,000 $833,000

Averaged Club Salary

(Line 2 minus Line 5)

The total amount actually paid to the Player under the buyout agreement over four years is $3.3 million, but the total Averaged Amount included in the Club's Averaged Club Salary is $4.3 million. The $1 million difference reflects the $1 million that the Club saved against its Payroll Room in Year 1 (the Club paid $4 million, but the Averaged Club Salary in Year 1 only included $3 million based on the averaging).

PHP Code:

Illustration #2:

1. Original SPC Amount $6.0M $4.0M $2.0M

2. Original Averaged Amt. $4.0M $4.0M $4.0M

3. Buyout Amount (2/3 of $6M) $2.666M $1.333M (Total = $4.0M)

4. Buyout Amt. Over twice $1.0M $1.0M $1.0M $1.0M

Length of original SPC

5. Buyout "Savings" $3.0M $1.0M - -

(Line 1 minus Line 4)

6. Amt. Included in $1.0M $3.0M $1.0M $1.0M

Averaged Club Salary

(Line 2 minus Line 5)

The total amount actually paid to the Player under the buyout agreement over four years is $4.0 million, but the total Averaged Amount included in the Club's Averaged Club Salary is $6.0 million. The $2 million difference reflects the $2 million that the Club saved against its Payroll Room in Year 1 (the Club paid $6 million, but the Averaged Club Salary in Year 1 only included $4 million based on the averaging).

PHP Code:

Illustration #3:

1. Original SPC Amount $2.0M $4.0M $6.0M

2. Original Averaged Amt. $4.0M $4.0M $4.0M

3. Buyout Amount (2/3 of $10M) $2.666M $4.0M (Total = $6.666 M)

4. Buyout Amt. Over twice $1.666M $1.666M $1.666M $1.666M

Length of original SPC

5. Buyout "Savings" $2.333M $4.33M - -

(Line 1 minus Line 4)

6. Amt. Included in $1.666M (- $333K) $1.666M $1.666M

Averaged Club Salary "credit"

(Line 2 minus Line 5)

The total amount actually paid to the Player under the buyout agreement over four years is $6.66 million, but the total Averaged Amount included in the Club's Averaged Club Salary is $4.66 million. The $2 million difference reflects the extra $2 million that the Club paid in Year 1 (the Club paid $2 million, but the Averaged Club Salary in Year 1 included $4 million based on the averaging), which the Club may save against its Payroll Room over the term of the buyout agreement.

50.9 Issues Relating to Timing and Calculation of Actual Club Salary and Averaged Club Salary.

(i) "Ordinary Course" Buyouts and "Compliance" Buyouts.

(i) If a Player's SPC has been terminated and bought out by a Club pursuant to the Ordinary Course Buyout provisions set forth in the SPC (which SPC also eliminates the concept of the "lump sum" buyout), the money due and owing to the Player pursuant to the buyout shall be paid out in accordance with the terms of the SPC (e.g., one-third or two-thirds of the remaining Player Salary due and owing, to be paid over twice the remaining years of the terminated and bought out contract), and the amounts paid under such Buyout agreement shall be included in the Actual Club Salary and Averaged Club Salary (as set forth in this Article 50) of the Club that bought out the Player during any League Year in which the buyout is paid, and the amounts paid under such buyout agreement shall also count against the Players' Share for any League Year in which the buyout is paid (an "Ordinary Course" Buyout). Clubs exercising Ordinary Course Buyout rights pursuant to the SPC shall endeavor to provide a Player documentation sufficient to enable the Player to "factor" the Club's buyout obligation with a commercial bank, if the Player so desires.

(ii) If a Player's 1995 SPC has been terminated and bought out by a Club pursuant to the "Compliance Buyout" provisions set forth in Exhibit 16 to this Agreement, which "Compliance Buyout" provisions apply only to the period preceding the 2005-06 regular season as agreed upon by the parties (and in accordance with the terms of the 1995 SPC, except as modified herein), then the money due and owing to the Player pursuant to the buyout shall be paid over the course of the remaining length of the terminated and bought out 1995 SPC, shall not be made in a lump sum, and the amounts paid under such buyout agreement shall not be included in the Actual Club Salary and Averaged Club Salary of the Club that bought out the Player during any League Year in which the buyout is paid. Any moneys paid pursuant to a Compliance Buyout Agreement are excluded from the definition of League-wide Player Compensation. Amounts paid under such buyout agreement shall not be counted against the Players' Share for any League Year in which they are paid. Moreover, a Player that has been bought out under the Compliance Buyout provisions of this Agreement shall be prohibited from rejoining the Prior Club that bought him out (via re-signing, trade Assignment or otherwise) for the 2005-06 League Year.

(iii) Clubs and Players shall not be permitted to negotiate either a different amount or different length of time over which buyout obligations may be paid.

(iv) If a Player's SPC has been bought out by a Club prior to execution of this Agreement, the amounts paid under such buyout agreement shall not be included in the Actual Club Salary and Averaged Club Salary of the Club that bought out the Player during any League Year in which the buyout is paid. Any moneys paid pursuant to such Buyout Agreements are excluded from the definition of League-wide Player Compensation. Amounts paid under such buyout agreement shall not be counted against the Players' Share for any League Year in which they are paid.

(v) Clubs shall file their Buy-Out Agreements with Central Registry, the NHL and NHLPA.

I take it as his cap hit would be 3.74mil for 16 years if they buy him out after this year. It's a hefty mistake, better pray he turns it around or there's a free buyout on the next CBA.
Edited by Vincent05

Flyers give him the balance of his contract and then he is free to sign anywhere else...right? Salary cap come into play for years he was originally signed?

the very short version is the flyers pay him 2/3's of the salary left on the contract, and then they take a cap hit equal to a percentage of that for twice the time remaining on the contract. in other words, if the flyers buy bryzgalov out after year 2, they would take a cap hit somewhere between $1.3mil and $6mil (it would vary year to year) for the next 14 years.

which is to say, he isn't getting bought out, unless there is a penalty-free buyout period after the next CBA is signed, or if the next CBA deals with buyouts significantly differently.

*If* the Flyers ever do the unlikely, and buy out Bryzgalov, here's what it would look like in terms of cap hit. I don't understand exactly how it's calculated, but Capgeek is a reliable site. According to this, there's really only 2 bad years in terms of cap hit. So maybe it's not all that unthinkable ;)

Ilya Bryzgalov buyout from CapGeek.com

• 2012-13: $875,000
  • 2013-14: -$625,000
  • 2014-15: $1,375,000
  • 2015-16: $1,375,000
  • 2016-17: $1,875,000
  • 2017-18: $1,875,000
  • 2018-19: $5,125,000
  • 2019-20: $6,125,000
  • 2020-21: $1,708,333
  • 2021-22: $1,708,333
  • 2022-23: $1,708,333
  • 2023-24: $1,708,333
  • 2024-25: $1,708,333
  • 2025-26: $1,708,333
  • 2026-27: $1,708,333
  • 2027-28: $1,708,333

I just can't see the Flyers taking a buyout after Y1.

The degree of egg on their face would make a chicken farm look low cholesterol.

It would also start to attrract the attention of bigwigs at Comcast as to how Snider's been running things. Lets not forget that he was in charge of the 76ers as well who, I am told, remain a professional sports franchise somehow.

They will notice a $42.5M blunder ($15M this year and $27.47 buyout)

@brelic

All I can say is, it's pretty sad this discussion is even in place not even halfway through the first season of a 9 year NMC contract. I'm embarrassed for the guy. And Snider should be ashamed of himself.

Yup, completely absurd that we're talking about goalie problems.

I just can't see the Flyers taking a buyout after Y1.

The degree of egg on their face would make a chicken farm look low cholesterol.

It would also start to attrract the attention of bigwigs at Comcast as to how Snider's been running things. Lets not forget that he was in charge of the 76ers as well who, I am told, remain a professional sports franchise somehow.

They will notice a $42.5M blunder ($15M this year and $27.47 buyout)

You're absolutely right. For more than a few reasons, I just can't see a buyout, one of which is giving Bryzgalov more time to get his sh!t together. But, I wouldn't be surprised that if he looks like this next season, it will be in the backup role.

You're absolutely right. For more than a few reasons, I just can't see a buyout, one of which is giving Bryzgalov more time to get his sh!t together. But, I wouldn't be surprised that if he looks like this next season, it will be in the backup role.

Completely agreed. They wouldn't throw him under the bus in Y1. If his play stays at this level this season and into next, he'll be relegated and they WILL "see what they have" with Bob before trading him.

Completely agreed. They wouldn't throw him under the bus in Y1. If his play stays at this level this season and into next, he'll be relegated and they WILL "see what they have" with Bob before trading him.

Exactly, because in that scenario, if Bob rises to the challenge, either Bryz becomes expendable or Bob's trade value goes up. If Bob falters, then his value declines, but we have a better idea what we're dealing with.

Exactly, because in that scenario, if Bob rises to the challenge, either Bryz becomes expendable or Bob's trade value goes up. If Bob falters, then his value declines, but we have a better idea what we're dealing with.

I'd take the chance on seeing if he's any good over trading him while his value is high... I'm so no sold on Bryz (and I REALLY wanted to be this offseason)