Droolin' for Drouin

With yet another debacle under our belts the Flyers now sit 3rd last in the entire NHL. That puts us in MacKinnon/Drouin range. I know most of us are jonesin for Jones, but I really don't see us catching Florida nor winning a lottery. Then again, Bryz had a good first period last night so stranger things have happened.

Anyway, i'd be happy with a top 5 pick. Keep up the good work boys!

• Like 4

nope, I live in Denmark, so do not get exposure to the canadian junior leagues. But from what I gather they are projected to be offensive 1st line guys.

My point was, I just hope Flyers don't walk away with another two-way center with limited offensive potential, as we all know we don't need more of those guys.

• Like 1

if we can't have Jones...I want either one of these guys.....(looking for vids on them)

7. Darnell Nurse, D, Sault Ste. Marie, OHL: Same story with Nurse. His game continued to improve over the last six weeks, but there was no room to move him up. His offensive reads impressed me in two recent viewings moreso than they did earlier in the year. You can see his confidence growing. Huge upside with this kid. (PR: 7)

8. Ryan Pulock: D, Brandon, WHL: His consistency waned a bit down the stretch, but playing through a wrist injury could account for that. Heavy shot and solid passing skills paint him as a future power play QB. Everyone raves about his character. (PR: 8)

21. Nikita Zadorov, D, London, OHL: I know there are teams who like him a lot better than this, but taking a defensive defenseman too high seems like a mismanagement of an asset. What Zadorov brings is a massive (6-foot-5, 229-pound) frame, a nasty disposition and the potential to become a dominating shutdown presence. (PR: 16)

• Like 1

@flyercanuck

Wow. Both have some crazy hands. Drouin has similarities to Giroux from what I saw. Great balance and thinks a step ahead.

If I'm GM and Drouin is still available, I would pick him vs MacKinnon just for the fact that Drouin is a LW and MacKinnon is a C.

Drouin - G - Jake line would be 'crazy hands'.

Flyers need to get another top 7-9 pick somehow.

Currently the first round picks (without the lottery) are:

1) Panthers

2) Avalanche

3) Lightning

4) Flyers

5) Flames

6) Oilers

7) Sabres

8) Coyotes

9) Islanders

10) Capitals

11) Blue Jackets

Homer should be on the phone with the Flames, Oilers and especially the Sabres trying to find out what it will take to get their 1st.

Flyers currently have the following draft picks in the first 3 rounds:

First round - #4

Second round - #34

Third round - #64 - Because the Flyers didn't make the playoffs, the conditional 3rd for Gagne from LA will not be transferred.

@Digityman

It would be nice to get one of the forwards AND Jones or Nurse. But I'm guessing that is a pipe dream. The Oilers might be willing to trade their first for a defenceman, but that would be kind of defeating the purpose, and I don't think we have one (Coburn???+) that would entice them.

• Like 1

I would pick him vs MacKinnon just for the fact that Drouin is a LW and MacKinnon is a C.

Drouin was a center until he joined his junior team where they moved him to wing alongside MacKinnon. I could see him ending up at center in the NHL, his hands and creativity are just off the charts.

I would be extremely happy to get Nurse though... "Nursin' for Nurse"?

Edited by JackStraw

@Digityman

It would be nice to get one of the forwards AND Jones or Nurse. But I'm guessing that is a pipe dream. The Oilers might be willing to trade their first for a defenceman, but that would be kind of defeating the purpose, and I don't think we have one (Coburn???+) that would entice them.

What about Meszaros and our 1st next year?

• Like 1

If we get the first pick overall, do you definitely go for Jones? Or do you consider MacKinnon (who some say is a generational talent in the Crosby mold)?

Remember the Hedman/Tavares debate?

I definitely go for Jones. The only comparisons I've seen between Crosby and MacKinnon state that as good as MacKinnon is, he's not in Crosby's class.

The only comparisons I've seen between Crosby and MacKinnon state that as good as MacKinnon is, he's not in Crosby's class.

You mean to say that MacKinnin has class, and has never punched anyone in the taint.

• Like 1

Drouin was a center until he joined his junior team where they moved him to wing alongside MacKinnon. I could see him ending up at center in the NHL....

Did not know that, thanks.

I'd like to see Nurse also, if obviously the Flyers don't get the #1 pick in Jones.

That would work for me. I personally don't mind Meszaros but if it meant getting another top 10 pick, I'd be all for it.

This draft is deep, especially 1-10. There's not much I wouldn't trade to get 2 picks in the top 10 if I were GM.

Yiikes! Next year is Ekblads draft. He plays on our local junior A team. He's the size of Jones (Jones is 2 1/2 years older) has one of the highest hockey IQs I've ever seen in a junior and is the best defenceman on one of the top OHL teams. Put it this way, Jones wasn't even playing junior at Ekblads age. I'd take Ekblad over any player in this draft, and I sure wouldn't trade Mez AND a chance to snag him.

Don't think MacKinnon is in Crosbys class. And I'd say Drouin and him are pretty close talent-wise. MacKinnon is a better skater, Drouin has better hands.

Edited by flyercanuck

@Digityman

MacKinnon is a stronger skater and stronger overall physically, but he tries to do too much and I find he loses the puck trying to make fancy moves. That could be an age thing and a developmental thing. Drouin makes those moves all the time. It is like the game is in slow motion for him. He has a bit of a mean competitiveness streak and doesn't like losing the puck and will fight to get it back. It is just ridiculous what he does with the puck and how he moves around other players. He has some of the sickest puck control skills I have seen from anybody.