Holmgren on Flyers trade, future deals, Lavy’s future

Guest pilldoc

http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/flyers/2013/03/30/holmgren-on-flyers-trade-future-deals-lavys-future/

From the Courier Post:

Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren made a trade on Saturday to add a veteran defenseman. After the first period of the Flyers-Bruins game, Holmgren discussed his move, the upcoming trade deadline and comments made earlier Saturday by team chairman Ed Snider, who says Holmgren’s job is safe and everything else will be evaluated after the season. Here’s what Holmgren had to say:

On acquiring 6-foot-4, 205-pound veteran defenseman Kent Huskins on Saturday from Detroit for a conditional pick in 2014 NHL Entry Draft.

“Obviously, he’s an experienced guy who gives us a little depth. The injury issues with Andrej (Meszaros) and Braydon (Coburn) – it’s likely that they’re out for the whole season. Mez is for sure and it’s probably like that Braydon is, too. At the end of the day it’s all about depth.”

Latest on defenseman Marc-Andre Bourdon, who is been sidelined all season with a concussion?

“He still has bad days, so he’s not even an option this year.:

What about Andreas Lilja, who has been in the minors most of the season?

“He struggled with the hip issue all year. He probably could come up but we wanted to take a look at Oliver (Lauridsen) today.”

On next Wednesday’s trade deadline:

“I think if there’s something at we could do right now that would help us now and for the future, we would talk about that. Obviously, we’re not in a position to go after a rental player. It just wouldn’t make any sense.”

Did this bad season sneak up on you … the injuries, losing 8 out of last 10 heading into Saturday?

“Even the trade deadline snuck up on us because it’s a funny year. It doesn’t seem like it’s almost April already and it is. It’s had our ups and downs, mostly downs lately. What you’re looking for now is compete and effort from certain guys that are on the end of their deals or playing for some kind of a contract whether it be with us or for some other team next year. Obviously, we’re looking for continued development in all our young players.”

If the Flyers win their next two games and get help, you could be close to playoff spot. Even then you wouldn’t go for rental?

“I guess that’s highly unlikely we’d be in a position to go after a rental player. If we win the next two games does it change? Maybe, but again we’re looking for … You’ve got to look at the long term, too.”

What about being sellers at deadline?

“It’s a really tough question to ask. We have a lot of conversations with teams during this time and nothing’s really come up that makes sense for us in any scenario.”

How disappointed were you that college free agent Danny DeKeyser signed with Detroit on Friday instead of the Flyers?

“Well, Ross Fitzpatrick, our guy that does the colleges for us, has had success getting free agents – Matt Read, Erik Gustafsson … just to name a few. He was disappointed. At the end, Danny DeKeyser is a Detroit kid. They probably had the inside track right from the start. I’d like to think we were in it right to the end.”

Ed Snider gave you a vote of confidence today and says it’s your call on the future of head coach Peter Laviolette.

“You guys have asked me that before. I don’t even think about stuff like that. At the end of the season everything gets evaluated and we’ll go from there. Nobody is happy with the position we’re in. Nobody. Players, coaches, anybody. So it’s difficult. It’s difficult to talk about stuff like that right now. I don’t think about it. I think the coaches do a good job in trying to prepare their team as best they can.”

Is it concerning when players say, ‘We’re not prepared, we weren’t ready, we’re not playing hard?’

“Talk is cheap. They’re the ones that gotta play the game. I think those comments – and I try not to read a lot of that stuff – is based on … it sounds like they’re pointing at each other. They’re the ones who play the game. I don’t think they mean they’re not prepared from a coaching standpoint.

A month ago you said you still believe in this team. Feel the same?

“I still believe in them. I haven’t changed my mind. We’ve got a good group of young players. Unfortunately issues have come up and we need to address those issues when the time comes.

On pursuit for a No. 1 defenseman to replace injured star Chris Pronger:

“Us and 29 other teams are looking for that guy. It’s a never-ending quest to try to find that defenseman that can play all situations. Maybe you have to draft that guy. I don’t know. I like our defensemen when the top 5 guys are healthy. If we could find the right guy and put him into that mix, it would make them better. Obviously, you’re not going to replace a Chris Pronger, but if you can find the right guy who plays on your power play and kills penalties …”

Do you anticipate Danny Briere (concussion) and/or Nick Grossmann (upper body injury) will play again this season?

“I don’t know about Danny. Grossmann, I do anticipate him back. It certainly won’t be tomorrow.”

FIRE AWAY......Nothing all that knew.....one striking comment..no rental players..then what in he ll is Kent Huskins?

"Maybe you have to draft that guy. I don’t know."

hmmm.....out of the box thinking ?? or just maybe he has come to realize that the days of having the largest wallet are gone.

..... so there is hope

am i the only one that thinks the homer might be gone? it's the tone of everything it doesnt sound lavy and homer are safe. the way snider talks about him, he doesnt sound pleased, he cant talk bad about the coaches or the gm, that's not who he is. otherwise, wouldnt snider say, i think homer has a done a job and i think this team needs adjusting? usually he would say something like that.

im thinking the way he sounds, it's going to major overhawl on the players and management.

Edited by toughfighter83

Even if we win the next 2 or 4 games, the defense is a mess, you might sit tight and not dump any players, saving that for the draft ect....and let these guys sink or swim on their own. It's crazy for the Flyers to be buyers right now....with horrid goaltending, horrid defense and inconsistant offense. Kinda reassuring to see Homer say that in print, although, I don't think it means much.

Edited by jammer2
  • Like 1

All things considered I think he said (and hopefully believes) the right things. The future is more important than making the playoffs this year. He recognizes the need for a #1 D and the possibility of drafting one. Sounds good to me as far as it goes. The proof will be in the doing.

• Like 1

There, deep in the weeds and underbrush of South Philadelphia you can see the wild Trade Deadline stalking it's prey: the unsuspecting general manager of the Philadelphia Flyers - Paul Holmgren.

Rather than just a fixed date on a calendar in use by the entire known world since 1582, the Trade Deadline is a wily creature capable of "sneaking up" on even the most astute hockey executive, especially during a shortened season which was conceived and executed by that hockey executive's owner. Along with it's closely related cousin The Room, the Trade Deadline occasionally roams out of sight and quickly gets lost in the daily haze of the evaporation of the ice during major concert events and basketball games. Plus, I mean, the Phillies are starting to play across the street. Who is supposed to keep track of when the Trade Deadline is under those circumstances? There's a Red Phanatic - no, really!

Luckily, it seems that someone has warned the previously unsuspecting Holmgren about the approach of the Trade Deadline as there are Second Round draft picks remaining unused far into the distant future of the organization.

:ph34r:

It's crazy for the Flyers to be buyers right now....with horrid goaltending, horrid defense and inconsistant offense.

Totally agree Jammer. I am actually hoping we miss the playoffs and get higher in the draft to draft a potential big time defenseman. We sure as hell can't develop them or trade for them so we might as well draft one. I like Nurse or the Russian Tank and we should be able to get them around 6/7

I would rather play it out this season, buyout/amnesty some contracts (Briere) and try to sign Horton, Clarkson or Bozak who add some size and grit to the wings.

@flyercanuck Yeah, he does not really play a gritty type game. This is one guy who will get paid more than he is worth because he plays on the top line in Toronto. His stats are not great now, even though he gets top line and top pp minutes. He'll ask for about 4 mill a year, maybe more. The Leafs might deal him instead of losing him as a UFA at the season's end.....but hard to screw with a winning line up also....will be a close call here.