Mason a Flyer

Guest albertaflyer

We needed a real back-up goalie. Good move, IMO. And he's young too - maybe he'll figure it out and fulfill the promise he once showed.

Yeah, I agree (depending on which pick we gave up). But, we definitely need a real backup goaltender, and Mason just happens to have potential to be a star starter (if you believe the last 4 seasons can be written off).

EDIT: Leighton and a 3rd for Mason!!! NO MORE LEAKY!!!

EDIT EDIT: How crazy is it that the two goalies in Columbus are the two goalies we had a few years ago???

TSN said it well when they said it's always like 'bizarro world' in Philly.

He is a decent back-up, but this is pretty much in line with all the other stupidities Homer pulled off previously. Why did we trade Bob? Can someone remind me, please? I thought that was to make Bryz feel more "at ease"... So unless theplan is to get rid of Bryz, why downgrade from Bob to Mason? And I *do* believe this is a downgrade.

On the other hand, if the suspicion is that this move is to get Bryz out and this is our new #1... are we really that much better off?

This is idiocracy at its best. I mean I try to look at positives, but it's so hard to make any sense, any logic out of this man is doing and what his real plan is.

• Like 1

The TSN guys making fun of HOmer for giving up Bobrovsky and picking up the Jackets scraps in Mason.

can't blame him.

TSN believes this cements Bryz being bought out.

I don't believe this though - Mason is no starter. Neither is Bryzgalov (!) but that's a different universe so to speak.

Flyers are the laughing stock of the Twitterverse over the Mason deal ;) Just another goaltending controversy in Philly.

I keep reading that Mason's problem is that he is mentally fragile. That should work out real well in Philadelphia.

• Like 2

The TSN guys making fun of HOmer for giving up Bobrovsky and picking up the Jackets scraps in Mason.

can't blame them a bit - it IS a kick in the head...jeez...how things work out sometimes...ugh!

TSN believes this cements Bryz being bought out.

I don't believe this though - Mason is no starter. Neither is Bryzgalov (!) but that's a different universe so to speak.

@brelic My gut feeling is Mason will not work out, but it a HUGE organizational problem has *attempted* to be addressed for a pretty cheap price. It's kinda like taking a stab in the dark, but I'm ok with it, if for no other reason, Leaky is gone forever!

• Like 3

Leaky is gone forever!

Thats what you think....

How many times has Boosh come back now (3 I think)??? And this was not Leighton's 1st tour of duty with us by any means as we unfortunately well know.

Edited by Poulin20

I'm not really sure I see a whole lot of logic in this move (surprise). Leighton was a UFA after this year so the Flyers could have gotten rid of him by just doing nothing. So now they have Mason who is a RFA after this season. They can't sign him for what he's making now (almost 3 million), so if they end up not re-signing him they just completely wasted a 3rd round pick. And if they re-sign him for less, and he continues to suck, they're really no better off than they are now. And they're still out the 3rd round pick. Seems like a strange move to me.

• Like 1

Bottom line is that Laviolette has zero trust in Leighton, and Bryzgalov cannot play the remaining 13 games. He's started 20 straight, and will start #21 tonight. My guess is that they will split the games from here to the end so they can audition Mason.

But there's no way the Flyers spend $9M+ on goaltending next year, so I think it's very clear that Bryz will be bought out.

What a colossal failure as an organization. They are the laughing stock, as they should be.

• Like 1

that's the idea Jammer- shot in the dark, hope like hell he reverts to his rookie form. If not I still don't see the Flyers buying out Bryzgalov just because they traded for Mason. Mason won't command $3mil if he doesn't play extremely well down the stretch, so IMO there are many reasons to buy out Bryzgalov but Mason's presence isn't one of them.