Kronwall leaves his feet AGAIN...

Guest Polaris922

Kronwall once again backs into a bodycheck jumping off his skates just before impact AGAIN... nothing called... AGAIN... the league will do nothing to stop this reckless conduct... AGAIN... I LOVE hard hits... I hate illegal ones like half of Kronwall's. He's perfected the art of launching himself a split second before impact. I can understand the refs not being able to see it... but if I can frame by frame it.. the league sure as hell can. Why don't they address this before he ends someone's career with his flying ass??

This is another example of what would be a good hit if he did not leave his skates and launch into McGinn. One of these times a player is going to set him up and crosscheck him as he launches himself. I only hope it is not a Flyer as it would be a 20 game suspension for hurting Shanahan's little buddy.The only thing that is going to stop Kronwall from making these hits is it is going to take someone to absolutely destroy him by beating him regardless of the call or non call. Somebody is going to have to take a major and a misconduct to do it because that chickenshit is a coward but it needs to be done. I wonder how Red wing fans are going to feel if they lose a player of Datsyuk's caliber due to a retaliation hit......

Edited by flyerrod
  • Like 1

Perhaps the player about to be hit should drop to the ice to take his legs out from under him, causing a backwards somersault head first to the ice for Kronwall? Is it bad that I'd really like to see that?

Probably a bad idea considering the weapons on his feet.........

@xganarchy

@flyerrod

If it were possible it would be great to see. Or someone finding a way to dodge him and see him crack his noggin on the boards hard enough to show him how dangerous it is. The NHL really should clean Klownwall's act up. Would be great hits if he just met man to man rather than jumping and turning himself into a missile.

T

@xganarchy

@flyerrod

If it were possible it would be great to see. Or someone finding a way to dodge him and see him crack his noggin on the boards hard enough to show him how dangerous it is. The NHL really should clean Klownwall's act up. Would be great hits if he just met man to man rather than jumping and turning himself into a missile.

That type of hit seems to be spreading... PK Subban also hits like that... changes direction quickly and throws his back/ass at people. I say jump as he comes and just get your stick up and crack him in the upper back as he launches at you. Sure you'll sit for a game or 2... but you might be sitting for longer if you don't.

Problem is, he's excellent at picking his spots and catching people napping. Maybe someone should just jump him and pummel the tar out of him.... might lose the game as a result, but if you're being blown out anyway...

Polaris,

Again, Kronwall has figured out how to absolutely level and destroy a player for the opposition and keep it within the letter of the law. His hits are borderline dirty, but do not cross the line. Mcginn did a good job of being prepared for it. Personally I didn't like the timing of the hit, would have hated giving the Lanche a power play in overtime. But as usual, no penalty given and none deserved.

The absolute best bar none open ice hitter in the game today.

Polaris,

Again, Kronwall has figured out how to absolutely level and destroy a player for the opposition and keep it within the letter of the law. His hits are borderline dirty, but do not cross the line. Mcginn did a good job of being prepared for it. Personally I didn't like the timing of the hit, would have hated giving the Lanche a power play in overtime. But as usual, no penalty given and none deserved.

The absolute best bar none open ice hitter in the game today.

How can you watch the guy leave his feet time and time again (charging) and say its within the letter of the law? Or are you just refusing to see him leave his feet?

How can you watch the guy leave his feet time and time again (charging) and say its within the letter of the law? Or are you just refusing to see him leave his feet?

IF he leaves his feet, which admittedly he does on a few of these hits, it is so close to contact as to be not be relevant in the play. He drives through the man, hard, but not recklessly. For God sake, these hits have been part of the game forever. Take them away it turns in to ice skating. It is not Kronwalls fault that he plays within the letter of the game but his type is sadly a dying breed.

I don't know if you are a baseball fan, but I am near 50, can remember Bob Gibson, if a batter dug in too much he would knock him on his ass. The inside part of the plate belonged to the pitcher. Same with hockey. You came up the ice admiring the pretty puck on your stick with your chin down you were drilled. Whoever was on the other side was EXPECTED to drill you, if not his ice time was gone.

Now, a pitcher throws a pitch on the inside corner for a strike and gets stared down by the batter for throwing too close, a guy with the puck not paying attention to his surroundings gets drilled and World War III breaks out. Football players helping opponents up after a tackle. Shaking hands and laughing and joking at the fifty after losing 49-3. Sad really. I call it the pussification of sports.

Kronwall is a throwback to a better day. I unapologetically root for him to destroy some poor schmuck every game. Cleanly (mostly). Viscously. The way the game has always been played. And I thank him for it.

Not to be relevant? Have you ever played a serious contact sport or coached the physical aspect of one? I've been playing and coaching for a long time, and I can promise you that elevating your center of gravity into the mid-section of another person's center of gravity at speed magnifies the impact immensely. THAT is why he does it, and THAT is why it is so much more dangerous to the player he is hitting than it is to him. He uses his fat ass to protect himself while magnifying the risk to the other players of the league. It's both cowardly and disrespectful of the other players' safety. "These hits have been part of the game forever"? That's not true. LEGAL hits have been part of the game forever. Hits like his are banned for a reason.

I have no problem with hitting a guy who's not paying attention within the rules of the game. It's the fastest game for a reason and yes, players accept there is a risk involved. Kronwall is NOT a throwback to a better day. He's a blemish on the league the way he plays it, and even players like Kasparaitis, Stevens, and Lindros, who knew how to hit, hit low, and within the rules of the sport did so WITHOUT launching themselves off their skates. If they did launch, they were penalized and rightly punished for it. You can despise them for their cruelty with it if you like, but they stayed on the ice and stayed within the rules for the most part. Kronwall is a reckless, disrespectful, and clearly favored embarassment on the league. When he mans up and hits a man within the rules as routine I'll respect him. He'll still make devastating hits, he'll still be a force on the ice, but he'll do it within the rules of the game and in a way that is less willing to ruin another human being's career than he so clearly displays right now. What he does isn't the way the game has always been played. What he does is a mockery of it.

Polaris,

Agree to disagree.

Players have caught on to the way Kronwall plays, his two attempts to destroy people this year have failed, against the Wild his stick came up, he drew a penalty and the wild scored on a power play. Against Mcginn, Kronner got the worst of it. Players have finally learned to keep their heads on a swivel out there when he is on the ice.

As a Wings fan, I am happy if he does it a couple of times a year to throw other teams forwards off of their games worrying about where he is. If you read any Wings blogs you will see many, many more fans bitching and moaning about how soft Kronwall plays in front of the net than any other subject.

As far as Fyerrod saying someone should go after Datsyuk to get even, good luck. Unlike some of these morons who admire the puck on their stick unaware of their surroundings, Datsyuk knows where everyone on the ice is at all times, which players are next for a shift change, how long the line is for Nachos, where the cute girls are sitting in section 107 and how traffic is on the highway. Players should use Dats as an example of awareness, Kronner is just helping them along.

Still clean. Still Minimal penalties. Still a throwback. And I have done my share of playing and coaching along the way too. Kronwall gets you thinking of everything except the game, and when he does that, you lose.

Polaris,

Agree to disagree.

Players have caught on to the way Kronwall plays, his two attempts to destroy people this year have failed, against the Wild his stick came up, he drew a penalty and the wild scored on a power play. Against Mcginn, Kronner got the worst of it. Players have finally learned to keep their heads on a swivel out there when he is on the ice.

As a Wings fan, I am happy if he does it a couple of times a year to throw other teams forwards off of their games worrying about where he is. If you read any Wings blogs you will see many, many more fans bitching and moaning about how soft Kronwall plays in front of the net than any other subject.

As far as Fyerrod saying someone should go after Datsyuk to get even, good luck. Unlike some of these morons who admire the puck on their stick unaware of their surroundings, Datsyuk knows where everyone on the ice is at all times, which players are next for a shift change, how long the line is for Nachos, where the cute girls are sitting in section 107 and how traffic is on the highway. Players should use Dats as an example of awareness, Kronner is just helping them along.

Still clean. Still Minimal penalties. Still a throwback. And I have done my share of playing and coaching along the way too. Kronwall gets you thinking of everything except the game, and when he does that, you lose.

Agree to disagree is fine. But I still don't understand how you can agree he leaps from the ice and still call it clean. Homerism isn't usually your style, but you can't agree he violates the definition of the rule yet not the rule.

Enjoy watching him. I don't wish him injured, but I do wish him educated on the error of his ways.

One of these times a player is going to set him up and crosscheck him as he launches himself. I only hope it is not a Flyer as it would be a 20 game suspension for hurting Shanahan's little buddy.

Get rid of the instigation rule and this bs would not happen anymore!! Guys would crush him without impurity. .

Bottom line, keep your head on a swivel when Kronner is on the ice, or risk the end of your career. the NHL has made it clear they are not gonna call it, so it's up to you to keep yourself safe.

• Like 1

Agree to disagree is fine. But I still don't understand how you can agree he leaps from the ice and still call it clean. Homerism isn't usually your style, but you can't agree he violates the definition of the rule yet not the rule.

Enjoy watching him. I don't wish him injured, but I do wish him educated on the error of his ways.

Thanks Polaris for the objectivity comment.

Fact is, I love this type of player. Pronger, Niedermayer, the Vladiator, Scott Stevens. The guys who wear the black hats but back it up skill wise.

I am not talking about goons, a Colton Orr or Jordan Tootoo, I am talking about a mean mother who drives the other team nuts and backs it up with skill on the ice.

Not enough guys wearing the black hat in todays game IMO. Glad we have one. Wish there were more.

I really do empathize and get where you guys are coming from. I HATED Pronger forever, developed a grudging respect, wished someone would kill him for the way he took liberties with Stevie Y, I love Vlady and the way his little 5.11 frame looked seven foot tall most nights. I think again, in my opinion, the only reason Kronwall is singled out is because he is a member of a dying breed, too many generic cookie cutter players devoid of personality nowadays.

One little note, I read a wonderful Gordie Howe comment in the WHA book last week, he said you don't have to fight very often, just once or twice a season when your team is on national television pick some poor schmuck who cant fight and just go to town, beat the living hell out of them, and that will cement your reputation for the rest of the season throughout the league. That is where Kronwall is at this point, he does this once or twice a season and keeps the other guy honest all year. If it is good enough for Gordie, it is good enough for me.

@yave1964 Ya know what, it's working also....I see a LOT of instances where opposing players are so worried about Kronner, they just give up the puck for fear of being concussed. Thats what you want, players looking over their shoulder from fear of being injured instead of worrying about the puck/play.

• Like 2

Thanks Polaris for the objectivity comment.

Fact is, I love this type of player. Pronger, Niedermayer, the Vladiator, Scott Stevens. The guys who wear the black hats but back it up skill wise.

I am not talking about goons, a Colton Orr or Jordan Tootoo, I am talking about a mean mother who drives the other team nuts and backs it up with skill on the ice.

Not enough guys wearing the black hat in todays game IMO. Glad we have one. Wish there were more.

I really do empathize and get where you guys are coming from. I HATED Pronger forever, developed a grudging respect, wished someone would kill him for the way he took liberties with Stevie Y, I love Vlady and the way his little 5.11 frame looked seven foot tall most nights. I think again, in my opinion, the only reason Kronwall is singled out is because he is a member of a dying breed, too many generic cookie cutter players devoid of personality nowadays.

One little note, I read a wonderful Gordie Howe comment in the WHA book last week, he said you don't have to fight very often, just once or twice a season when your team is on national television pick some poor schmuck who cant fight and just go to town, beat the living hell out of them, and that will cement your reputation for the rest of the season throughout the league. That is where Kronwall is at this point, he does this once or twice a season and keeps the other guy honest all year. If it is good enough for Gordie, it is good enough for me.

I'd agree with you and put him in that category of player if more of his hits were legal. All he has to do is stop leaping into the air so much and I'd be fine with it. I don't expect perfection, but say eight out of ten with his skates still on the ice wouldn't be so bad. Otherwise, I'd dress Steve McIntyre and accept him jumping over the boards to knock Klownie's teeth down his throat if he did that to us. Lol. Fines and suspensions accepted. My new banner is "Make it legal Klownwall!" ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a still frame from the video of the hit showing Kronwall's left skate still on the ice after initial contact commences. I'd like to share it, but don't know how to post a pic. I only know how to post a link. If someone could contact me with instructions, I'd appreciate it.

I agree that Kronwall is lunging up. NOWHERE in the rules is that illegal, BTW, unless it causes the hitter to leave his feet before the contact. They can leave the ice either in conjunction with the hit or after the hit as a result of it.

It has been REPEATEDLY judged that hits like this are legal hits, so I don't understand why you can't accept that these are the rules, and he's playing within them. If you don't like it, change the rules, and if that's what you want to do, you have the right to call for those changes. Just stop whining about the rules as they are, or worse calling Kronnwall dirty when he is not. If you have a still shot of Kronwall airborne and not touching his target yet, post one. (I have clearly stated before multiple times that the hit on Kessler has exactly ONE frame where this was true--the only one since the new rules were established where this is so, BTW.) I've got one showing him on ice and already hitting McGinn, so all this is just about you taking the opportunity to trash a player who once again is playing within the rules that you don't particularly like, and I think it's because you are still pissed about the hit on Voracek, which even Voracek said afterward should stay in the game, and he hasn't recanted that opinion. He accepted the truth that that hit is a part of hockey and should be, even as dangerous as it was. Too bad you can't be that reasonable,

Have some cheese, why not.

If anyone has instructions to do this on an iPad, please send them so I can put THIS issue to rest.

I've got a still frame from the video of the hit showing Kronwall's left skate still on the ice after initial contact commences. I'd like to share it, but don't know how to post a pic. I only know how to post a link. If someone could contact me with instructions, I'd appreciate it.

I agree that Kronwall is lunging up. NOWHERE in the rules is that illegal, BTW, unless it causes the hitter to leave his feet before the contact. They can leave the ice either in conjunction with the hit or after the hit as a result of it.

It has been REPEATEDLY judged that hits like this are legal hits, so I don't understand why you can't accept that these are the rules, and he's playing within them. If you don't like it, change the rules, and if that's what you want to do, you have the right to call for those changes. Just stop whining about the rules as they are, or worse calling Kronnwall dirty when he is not. If you have a still shot of Kronwall airborne and not touching his target yet, post one. (I have clearly stated before multiple times that the hit on Kessler has exactly ONE frame where this was true--the only one since the new rules were established where this is so, BTW.) I've got one showing him on ice and already hitting McGinn, so all this is just about you taking the opportunity to trash a player who once again is playing within the rules that you don't particularly like, and I think it's because you are still pissed about the hit on Voracek, which even Voracek said afterward should stay in the game, and he hasn't recanted that opinion. He accepted the truth that that hit is a part of hockey and should be, even as dangerous as it was. Too bad you can't be that reasonable,

Have some cheese, why not.

If anyone has instructions to do this on an iPad, please send them so I can put THIS issue to rest.

He launches off his skates. For every still shot you show him on his skates before a hit I can show one where the opposite is true. I'm not supporting Voracek, I'm not a Flyers fan. Klownwall IS a dirty hitter. Until he stops launching himself (charging) and hits like a man he will remain so in my book.

And he's never hit a Pen that way, so there's no homerism here.

This is the second frame of the contact. Left skate boot STILL no higher than McGinn's. McGinn's upper body already heading backwards due to contact. Sock stripes even, even though McGinn is not upright and Kronner IS upright moving through the hit as McGinn attempts to duck from it at the last second.

You can complain about the upward driving all you want, but I have no idea how you distinguish a legal hit from an illegal hit. Where is the line? Skates leaving the ice seems reasonable.

Take it too far, and you're left with Disney on ice with a puck. It's hockey! Don't play with your head down. Playing with your head down is playing stupid/carelessly.

post-546-0-83943400-1366224402_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

He launches off his skates. For every still shot you show him on his skates before a hit I can show one where the opposite is true. I'm not supporting Voracek, I'm not a Flyers fan. Klownwall IS a dirty hitter. Until he stops launching himself (charging) and hits like a man he will remain so in my book.

And he's never hit a Pen that way, so there's no homerism here.

According to the rules, he is only leaving his feet AFTER or in conjunction with the hit i.e. within the rules as written and as enforced, which is NOT charging. Read 'em again, if you like.

Other than Kessler--which I admit he leaves the ice 1/30 second before contact--post one where the hit has NOT commenced and he is off the ice after the rules have been established this way. One.

Edited by SpikeDDS