Trying to stay positive - Mason looked Good

Guest OH1FlyersFan

i dont drink alchol and second,im making a realistic comment which alot of fans dont like and people going after me for it, i wasnt expecting this team to be good anyway even before this season, im not suprised and im not going after bryz because i know this team sucks which alot of people dont seem to get accept blaming bryz for the team's problems, which is ridicious, this team was playing like crap since 2011,when bryz wasnt here and of course blaming bob and ride him out of town and he's a better goalie now, and doing the same with bryz, i dont care about how great the offense was, lav coaching stinks.

Can you say run-on sentence....geez.

@toughfighter83

what was the question? I come close to passing out each time I read anything you type, because it is always one gigantic sentence that doesn't seem to go anywhere. near as I can tell, you are again going on about bryzgalov isn't so bad and isn't the worst part of the team....and, in fact, you believe that bryzgalov should be considered part of the solution going forward. what do you want me to answer?

I was simply commenting on his blanket statement that Mason will absoutely never become a good starting goalie.

It's fair to say the odds are against it but as far as know someone who watches the games on TV as a hobby isn't qualified to make that conclusion regarding a 24 yr old goalie was highly regarded as recently as 3 yrs ago.

That's how I read it too. And after this season, I'm ready to consider other options. While Mason may not be Martin Brodeur in his prime, he is only 24 and has potential. What I've seen too is something that almost looks like confidence. He projects surety in goal, like he isn't always scrambling, panicky, and two steps behind -- unlike Bryz..

This is something the rest of the team can feed off of and build on --- something Bryz has not instilled in them. And God knows the offense could use a bit of a boost. With Bryz in goal, everyone, offense and defense, is too fragile. So let's take on yet another goalie project and rebuild Mason. He's young, quick, shows sparks of talent, and seems to be pretty stable back there. Not to mention he's cheap.

If he can find his confidence, he's going to be much better than the current option, which, despite a couple of decent games this season, I just can't see being part of the solution going forward.

no goalie will make /offense/defense better, it's the personal and coaching, this team cant score goals because it's flat out coaching and personal problem.

you are ignoring the facts that this team had bigger issues than the goalie right now.

I was simply commenting on his blanket statement that Mason will absoutely never become a good starting goalie.

It's fair to say the odds are against it but as far as know someone who watches the games on TV as a hobby isn't qualified to make that conclusion regarding a 24 yr old goalie was highly regarded as recently as 3 yrs ago.

i agree you plus this is a bad buffalo team, some goalies are not just meant to be number 1 goalies, i dont believe mason is. i only see him as a good backup.

Edited by toughfighter83

Puck moving goalies make the defense better, as they can spring a counter rush, and otherwise help with breakouts.

Why are you so feverishly defending Bryz? Seriously. No one here thinks it is all his fault, as there is much blame to share across many parties, but you're coming across like Bryz should be off limits for criticism.

• Like 1

no goalie will make /offense/defense better, .

Sorry, I flat out disagree. They brought in the stupid trapezoid because Brodeur flat out made his offence better. And having a great goalie automatically makes your defence better. Ask the 74/75 Flyers. The 2012 Kings. Those Habs/Avalanche teams with Roy. Brodeurs Devils.

• Like 1

Puck moving goalies make the defense better, as they can spring a counter rush, and otherwise help with breakouts.

Why are you so feverishly defending Bryz? Seriously. No one here thinks it is all his fault, as there is much blame to share across many parties, but you're coming across like Bryz should be off limits for criticism.

you drunk philly fans always want one to player to blame, it's not going to fix anything, how many goalies how this team gone through when lav was here? about 5 of them leighton, boucher, bob, bryz, mason, why did nj beat us last year, why did boston sweep us in 2011 playoffs when bryz wasnt here? dont give me this goaltending bs, it's the coaching, you know what it seems fans love losers like lav and homer and blame it on the goalie because they are the best thing in the world and they can fix it. every year, lav is getting outcoached, how can you not see that?

@toughfighter83

How 'bout this:

Holmgren has made an incoherent mess of the organization

Laviolette's coaching style is completely wrong for this roster, and it looks like he is incapable of maintaining the team's focus

AND bryzgalov freaking terrible

How's that? Get rid of all three. You on board?

@toughfighter83

How 'bout this:

Holmgren has made an incoherent mess of the organization

Laviolette's coaching style is completely wrong for this roster, and it looks like he is incapable of maintaining the team's focus

AND bryzgalov freaking terrible

How's that? Get rid of all three. You on board?

no, i want homer and lav gone, bryz stays, you want him gone then you find a starter that's on fa or on another team, that can start and be solid because right now there are no starters out there, you want to play boucher/leighton rotating trash goalies then good luck.

Edited by toughfighter83

no, i want homer and lav gone, bryz stays, you want him gone then you find a starter that's on fa or on another team, that can start and be solid because right now there are no starters out there, you want to play boucher/leighton rotating trash goalies then good luck.

Ya because Bryz, his $5 Mil + contract and his league ranked 45th place save percentage is so rock solid.

Ilya, get off the internet and go practise some goaltending.

• Like 1

Back to slobbering the brygalknob.

you are WAY over estimating the idea of someone being an established starter. For example, Steve Mason, now a Flyer, was the starter in Columbus for 4 years. I can't fault you for not being comfortable with him as the #1 in Philly going forward, because he was brutal for 3 of those 4 years, but.... He was an established starter never the less. For comparison, this year is bryzgalov's 5th year as a starter. If the guy being a starter somewhere is your primary criteria, and sucking while starting doesn't matter, then..... Mason fits the bill. At least as much as bryzgalov.

And before you bring up the playoffs, let me refresh your memory on bryzgalov's playoff experience. His record is 17 wins and 19 losses. 9 of those wins were with Anaheim (when he was NOT a starter). Outside of Anaheim, his playoff record is 8 wins and 14 losses, a goals against average around 4.00, and a save percentage well below .900. He has lost 3 playoff series (win-loss record in those: 4-12), with his only win being Pittsburgh's self destruction last spring.

In other words, bryzgalov might be the single worst playoff goalie in the league. At least over the last three seasons. The fact he is experienced in the playoffs kind of means nothing next to that, doesn't it?

• Like 1

you drunk philly fans always want one to player to blame, it's not going to fix anything, how many goalies how this team gone through when lav was here? about 5 of them leighton, boucher, bob, bryz, mason, why did nj beat us last year, why did boston sweep us in 2011 playoffs when bryz wasnt here? dont give me this goaltending bs, it's the coaching, you know what it seems fans love losers like lav and homer and blame it on the goalie because they are the best thing in the world and they can fix it. every year, lav is getting outcoached, how can you not see that?

So because I have my own opinion that doesn't follow yours exactly I'm a drunk Philly fan? And read @aziz's post #41 in this thread - he's one of the best posters at research here, and kind of demolishes your entire argument. Coaching and management is rather subjective, and I'm through trying to explain through your hard head that most of us agree on those concerns. However, Bryz is not infallable, and his stats sharply diverge from your argument.

I'd say Let's Go Flyers and try to be polite at this point, but I'm really thinking you're a troll. Or a drunk Philly fan.

no goalie will make /offense/defense better, it's the personal and coaching, this team cant score goals because it's flat out coaching and personal problem.

you are ignoring the facts that this team had bigger issues than the goalie right now.

Couldn't disagree more. From a morale and psychological perspective, a goalie most certainly can make a team better. As an aside, some goalies can even add a little bit of offense by moving the puck - and a few can even score a goal here and there. It would be ignorant to discount the impact those two aspects of the game can have on performance - both individual and the team.

I don't argue that the offense needs to do a better job scoring goals, but at least the offense has demonstrated it can. Bryz has NEVER demonstrated to me that, since he's been on this team, he is a reliable, consistent, and above-average goaltender capable of being "the man." That is the bigger issue. That is what needs to be fixed. If you can't see that, then you need to spend a little more time watching the game. This is pretty basic stuff.

Edited by OH1FlyersFan

Well I guess it was a good thing the Flyers scored 7 goals tonight against the Canadiens to give Bryzgalov a chance to win a game. I'd rather have Mason as the starter next year even if the Flyers end up with a high draft pick then see another year with Bryzgalov in net.
  • Like 1

@toughfighter83 No offense, but I disagree with everything you type. Just trying to wrap my head around it is giving me a headache. Quick was not spectacular in the playoffs last year???.....what planet are you from? Just for the record, Kings would have NEVER EVER won without Quick in net!! Did you even watch the playoffs??