Quit hatin on Bryz

FD19372

It's always the goalie's fault If everybody thought (after the Flyers were so desperate in giving his super fat contract), that Bryz was going to be the second coming of Patrick Roy and Bernie Parent combined, they were naive. They wanted a number 1 goalie they could rely on. They got him, and he's been your best player this year by far. (Which is why they didn't make the playoffs. The other players still have to show up, and didn't.) Why doesn't everybody realize that the #1 reason (and it's not close) is because we didn't have puck rushing dman worth a d*mn? Bryz and not even Henrik Lunqvist or Jonathan Quick could be good enough with this below average, immobile d (and I'm being polite) to win you a Cup. It would kick start the offense as well. They need to do whatever it takes to get a legit #1 offensive defenseman next year, and if that's all they do, that's a hell of an off-season and should be enough for this team to make the playoffs and possibly even contend for a top 2 seed in the East. Bryz can win a Cup or does everyone not remember Anaheim (not that he did it by himself,but still). Give Bryz and Mason another year and get Yandle or (insert name of skilled offensive d man) here.

Good grief. Another Bryz debate thread.

The other 150 threads weren't good enough to post in that we start yet another? It's getting really tiring seeing and typing the same damn stuff over and over again.

I also would like to suggest that in order to sign up for this site that the applicant should have to first take an IQ test. We don't have to set the bar high, but at least maybe 20 ought to do.

• Like 1

They wanted a number 1 goalie they could rely on.

Exactly...this club has holes and alot to work on but Bryz is not the answer...Mason is the guy they need to lean on Bryz already said "he don't care"...sorry just don't want a guy on the team with that attitude....send him to Siberia where he can working on stopping a breakaway...no way the club can play with confidence with him in net...because when you need him he gives up a softy...time to move on and buy him out...he is garbage! Mason is the direction this club needs to go in...he is hungry and wants a chance...the complete opposite of Bryz and i'm tied of the circus...so are the players!

• Like 1

Bryz can win a Cup or does everyone not remember Anaheim (not that he did it by himself,but still).

"but still" what?

6 years ago Bryzgalov started 4 games in R1 against the Wild and went 3-1 with a .922 Save%. He played very well in those 4 games. Does that about cover it?

• Like 1

@ruxpin

So do you think they should buy him out? What about briere?

If you're honestly asking because you've somehow missed it the last hundred times I've posted it. Buy out both over the next two seasons. My first choice as a fan whose budget or P&L isn't involved in any way, I'd amnesty them both this summer and move on. Taking into account that there are business issues that are not necessarily directly hockey-related, I would amnesty Briere this summer and play next year with a Bryz/Mason tandem. Get Mason a year into Philly in which he's the favorite guy in the neighborhood because he's NOT Bryz and also a season to prove he's worth the risk, and then dump Bryz next summer.

From where I sit, even if Mason=Bryz on the ice (worst case since he can't be < Bryz) his value is greater because we're paying vastly less for suckage. So as a fan, again with no budget or P&L exposure, I don't need the year for Mason to prove he's worth the risk. But if they do, I'm okay with waiting until next summer.

Plus, it will give the Bryz defenders yet another year to keep their heads shoved up their rectums and completely miss how lousy he is.

what's the excuses for the other overpaid guys dont perform on this team? hartnell, briere, mez, simmounds? they get a free pass too, they have bad contract hits as much as bryz does, hartnell is injuried, bs, briere past his prime, mez always injuried, simmounds, i dont know what people see in this guy, plus the reason why la got rid of him in the first place and they won cups with richards and carter.

so bring on the excuses.

everything about byz is personal hate for the guy because he's russian and a bad team mate becauses he's not american and mason is.

Edited by toughfighter83

"but still" what?

6 years ago Bryzgalov started 4 games in R1 against the Wild and went 3-1 with a .922 Save%. He played very well in those 4 games. Does that about cover it?

Yes, it does. He was Giguere's back up right? They probably don't beat Minny without him. Let's put it this way, they've got bigger problems than Bryz. If they get rid of Bryz and don't upgrade their painfully slow d, they'll suck next year also, I don't care who is in net. I won't cry that he leaves if they find someone better, but that position isn't priority 1. Edited by FD19372

wait - did you just say you don't see what "people see in this guy" referring to Wayne SIMMONDS? (or as you named him, "simmounds)"

Unless I misread it - which is quite possible - but if I didn't then I know you're not watching the games.

If they get rid of Bryz and don't upgrade their painfully slow d, they'll suck next year also, I don't care who is in net.

I agree with you there, though I think getting Coburn back healthy and Grossmann will make a huge difference. But I like your point earlier about needing somebody who can rush the puck. Me and precious few others around here all said last summer "we're gonna miss Matt Carle" and we got laughed at. Well. We miss him.

• Like 1

I agree with you there, though I think getting rid of Coburn back healthy and getting Grossmann back healthy will make a huge difference. But I like your point earlier about needing somebody who can rush the puck. Me and precious few others around here all said last summer "we're gonna miss Matt Carle" and we got laughed at. Well. We miss him.

There you go. I fixed your statement for you. BTW, you mean Matt Carle the turnover machine? I don't miss him one bit.

Good grief. Another Bryz debate thread.

The other 150 threads weren't good enough to post in that we start yet another? It's getting really tiring seeing and typing the same damn stuff over and over again.

I also would like to suggest that in order to sign up for this site that the applicant should have to first take an IQ test. We don't have to set the bar high, but at least maybe 20 ought to do.

Well, I figured my IQ of 25 was qualified enough :D I thought this was better than another fire Holmer thread(which they should do, but won't,btw).

<br />They got him, and he's been your best player this year by far.<br />

what in the world? I (kind of) understand some debate on what to do with the guy, but...best player by far? in what way? I mean, it isn't in a stopping-the-puck way. unless you give him a complete pass on stopping the puck because the defense is bad, but...there is a lot of distance between giving him a pass and declaring him the best by far. how can someone ranked in the bottom 12 in the league in his relevant statistical catagories (bottom 5 for sv%) and be declared the best on the team? by far. what?

They wanted a number 1 goalie they could rely on.

rely on him to.....give up a goal on every 9 shots? what are we relying on him for?

BTW, you mean Matt Carle the turnover machine? I don't miss him one bit.

the team does. the primary difference between this team and last year's is no carle. so what is it? is the defense suddenly so bad that bryzgalov can't be expected to perform at even a slightly-below-average level, or not? if that's the case, if this season's D is so bad that they are solely responsible for this season's disaster, then...again, the one major change is no carle.

btw. i'm not gonna copy all the statistical stuff here. suffice to say that carle is (again) in the top ~30 dmen in the league in takeaways, blocked shots, assists, points. and fewer giveaways than boyle, weber, doughty, letang, carlson, subban. think an offensive defenseman who works well in transition is what fixes the flyers (and, presumably, reintroduces bryzgalov to being evaluated by how well he stops the puck)? there he is.

• Like 2

<br />everything about byz is personal hate for the guy because he's russian and a bad team mate becauses he's not american and mason is<br />

close. it is personal hate for the guy because he is super extra terrible at his job, and his bottom of the barrel performance this season and last is a major reason the team has had such a rough time. along with several other major reasons, yes, but he is one nonetheless.

also, because he is Russian.

Edited by aziz

<br />what's the excuses for the other overpaid guys dont perform on this team? hartnell, briere, mez, simmounds? they get a free pass too, they have bad contract hits as much as bryz does, hartnell is injuried, bs, briere past his prime, mez always injuried, simmounds, i dont know what people see in this guy, plus the reason why la got rid of him in the first place and they won cups with richards and carter.<br /><br />so bring on the excuses.<br /><br />everything about byz is personal hate for the guy because he's russian and a bad team mate becauses he's not american and mason is. <br /><br />Edited by toughfighter83, Today, 12:56 PM.<br />

what could you possibly have edited there? you are still king of run-ons, still misspell simmonds' name. what did you fix??

Edited by aziz

Well, I figured my IQ of 25 was qualified enough :D I thought this was better than another fire Holmer thread(which they should do, but won't,btw).

I set it at 20 so I wouldn't have to turn in my membership based on the 22 score.

I do question posters intelligence when they defend bryz AND actually have watched him play.

On the other hand, I can completely get behind the statement that "it's not all his fault." Because, to be honest, I have to equally question the reasoning ability of those who would pile this entirely on him.

In fact, I think the place to start the finger pointing is the front office. That's where the primary responsibility for this cluster lies. All Bryz did was get offered a contract. It's not his fault he's not worth over half of it.

It's not Bryz's fault that we went into this season with a piss poor defense, on paper and on the ice.

It's not Bryz's fault that our moron general manager went into this season without a backup goalie. This would be bad in any season, but was particularly insane given the schedule we'd be faced with in a compacted season.

It's not Bryz's fault that the dumb ass general manager let Jagr and, possibly more importantly, Carle go without even talking to them.

It's not Bryz's fault that the mind-numbingly stupid general manager has let the organization wither and die with dumb draft picks, trading away draft picks, and letting the prospect cupboard go nearly completely dry.

None of that is on Bryz. And whether Bryz has a .910 or an .890 save percentage doesn't come anywhere near the magnitude of the idiocy listed above.

However, if you want to talk strictly about goaltending and value against the roster spot, then you can reasonably attack Bryzgalov.

His positioning is extremely poor. Mind-numbingly poor. He's way too far back in his net making him smaller against the angles than his size should account for. It makes him have to rely on athleticism to compensate for not blocking enough angle just by standing there. And his relying on athleticism works about as well as my relying on my ability to fly. He's not at all athletic. He gets up and down like the woman on the Medic Alert commercial. And Michael Moore can move left to right faster than Bryz.

Because of the above, he has a penchant for spraying dangerous rebounds right up the crease. I have no stat to back this up, but he probably has more pucks bounce off his own players' skates more than most. I attribute both of these issues to the fact that because he is so far back in his crease and because his angles are so bad, and because he's a little late on moving, when he does get in the way he's just getting in the way in time and has no hope of controlling where the rebound is going. When you're simply lucky enough to get in the way, anything on top of that is asking way too much.

He's horrible playing the dump in. He just flat out sucks. Probably chalk it up to another example of his lack of athleticism, but he is a horrible skater even for a goalie. His reaction is slow and his horrible skating makes it difficult for him to play the puck behind the net. This is one area where Mason actually helps the team, because it does help the break out or at least helps in clearing the zone.

Plus, I do suspect there was some amount of truth to what his teammates in Phoenix said but has not yet come out in Philly.

I think the national hockey pundits as well as those in Philly quite over-exaggerated how well Bryz was playing in the beginning of the year. I'm not sure why that is, but it is clearly the case. I do think some of it is because he seemed to be playing better than the horrible crap he did last year. But his play has really diminished back to last year's levels. Again, I blame some of that on fatigue (mental and physical) and a lousy defense. But some of that is simply excuse. When it comes down to it, the largest contributor to the lousy goaltending is the lousy goaltender.

• Like 3

simmounds, i dont know what people see in this guy

It's statements like this that make people assume you're an idiot. Just watch a game if you want to see what other people see. And, really, is it that hard to spell Simmonds?

"but still" what?

Agreed. Let's not pretend Bryz had a damn thing to do with Anaheim winning the Cup. I do, however, remember him completely not showing up in the playoffs with Phoenix.

If you're honestly asking because you've somehow missed it the last hundred times I've posted it. Buy out both over the next two seasons. My first choice as a fan whose budget or P&L isn't involved in any way, I'd amnesty them both this summer and move on. Taking into account that there are business issues that are not necessarily directly hockey-related, I would amnesty Briere this summer and play next year with a Bryz/Mason tandem. Get Mason a year into Philly in which he's the favorite guy in the neighborhood because he's NOT Bryz and also a season to prove he's worth the risk, and then dump Bryz next summer.

From where I sit, even if Mason=Bryz on the ice (worst case since he can't be < Bryz) his value is greater because we're paying vastly less for suckage. So as a fan, again with no budget or P&L exposure, I don't need the year for Mason to prove he's worth the risk. But if they do, I'm okay with waiting until next summer.

Plus, it will give the Bryz defenders yet another year to keep their heads shoved up their rectums and completely miss how lousy he is.

Heh heh, I just out-smarmed the smarm.

• Like 1

everything about byz is personal hate for the guy because he's russian and a bad team mate becauses he's not american and mason is.

All that I'm going to say publicly about this comment is that I really don't appreciate being called a bigot.