Should Abdelkater be Suspended?

Guest pilldoc

Which hit was worse?  

1. 1. Which hit was worse?

• Gryba on Eller
    • Abdelkater on Lydman
  2. 2. Using the Gryba suspension as a precedent. Should Abdelkater be suspended?

• No
    • Yes 1 game
    • Yes 2 games
    • Yes 3 or more games
  3. 3. In reality will Shanny suspend him?

• Yes - he has to or the league is a farce
    • No - Shanny is an idiot and further proves the bias of the league to certain teams

This league is a farce if he does not get to sit for 2 games. Clearly a much more of a brutal hit as he blows up Lydman. If Gryba got 2 games to IMO was a clean hit and the ice doing much of the damage to Eller, then it is a no brainer that Abdelkater must sit for at least 2. Get ready for another farce of a decision by Shanny and company.

Edited by hf101
merged topics and added original poll

Let's give it the Lithmus test....

1)Did he leave his skates to make the hit? Yes without a doubt. 2) Is the primary point of contact the head? Yes again. This one should give Shanahan a text book video of the hits they want removed from the league but since he is a Wing I have my doubts to any suspension at all.....

• Like 1

Let's give it the Lithmus test....

1)Did he leave his skates to make the hit? Yes without a doubt. 2) Is the primary point of contact the head? Yes again. This one should give Shanahan a text book video of the hits they want removed from the league but since he is a Wing I have my doubts to any suspension at all.....

I rest my case....you are absolutely correct @flyerrod

Worst hit in years. Hope Lydman is okay. Abdelkader deserves three or more games beyond a doubt. Horrid, horrid hit. I love hitting in Hockey, but cmon, that was not a hockey play. Justice must be served.

And the worst part, as a Wings fan, is the game was tied at zero late in the second when he did this bone headed play. The Ducks scored just a few seconds later and the game changed just like that. As a hockey fan, he deserved the penalty and the upcoming suspension. As a Wings fan, he deserves to be taken out back and shot, he cost us any chance we had in that game. Terrible, terrible play.

Here is the video:

I fully expect two games because it is the playoffs and a Abdelkater's first offense (I think), however 3 games is more appropriate because he jumped at Lydman and that would be more inline with what Harry Z got since it is the playoffs.

Detroit is toast without Abdelkater. This series is over.

Leaves his feet and clearly targets the head, textbook example of the kind of play the league is trying to eliminate. But the end result doesn't look as bad as the Gyrba hit and we all know Shanny dishes out suspensions based on blood and broken bones. 2 games. Probably should be 3, but it won't be.

• Like 3

If Gyrba gets 2 games for ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, then Abdelkater should get the death penalty.

Gyrba: 2 games

Blind side? No

Head is primary point of contact? No

Left his feet? No

Charging? No

Deliberate attempt to injure? No

Abdullakiller: Shanny will make up some mind-numbing reason why no suspension but this should get 5.

Blind side? Check.

Head is primary point of contact? Check

Left his feet? Check

Charging? Check. He came from 10 feet inside the opposite side of the zone to deliver this hit at the goal line in the corner.

Deliberate attempt to injure? Check

It is utterly a disgusting display of criminal incompetence if Abdicator gets equal to or less than Gyrba. Come on, Shanny, the world is watching; what's it gonna be?

• Like 3

Leaves his feet and clearly targets the head, textbook example of the kind of play the league is trying to eliminate. But the end result doesn't look as bad as the Gyrba hit and we all know Shanny dishes out suspensions based on blood and broken bones. 2 games. Probably should be 3, but it won't be.

That is such a sad indictment, but absolutely accurate.

I voted that the Gryba hit was worse because, well...the NHL has conditioned me to look at the result rather than the act. Lots of blood and a stretcher, it had to be worse.

I honestly don't think Abdelkater jumped until after contact. His left skate is still on the ice after initial contact is made. Look at the video posted above around the 24-25 second mark. I do believe the head was the principle point of contact and he deserves a 2 game suspension for that.

My prediction is that Shannahan will use the "Kronwall" criteria when evaluating this hit and there will not be a suspension. There has NOT been an announcement of any supplementary discipline hearing yet. On the Gryba hit, that announcement came before the game was over.

EDIT: As soon as I hit post the announcement for the telephone hearing was released. Lol

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan

My prediction is that Shannahan will use the "Kronwall" criteria when evaluating this hit and there will not be a suspension. There has NOT been an announcement of any supplementary discipline hearing yet. On the Gryba hit, that announcement came before the game was over.

I think the Harry Z hit is more like this one, especially when you consider the distance Abdelkater traveled as he lined up to hit Lydman.

• Like 2

If Gyrba gets 2 games for ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, then Abdelkater should get the death penalty.

Gyrba: 2 games

Blind side? No

Head is primary point of contact? No

Left his feet? No

Charging? No

Deliberate attempt to injure? No

Abdullakiller: Shanny will make up some mind-numbing reason why no suspension but this should get 5.

Blind side? Check.

Head is primary point of contact? Check

Left his feet? Check

Charging? Check. He came from 10 feet inside the opposite side of the zone to deliver this hit at the goal line in the corner.

Deliberate attempt to injure? Check

It is utterly a disgusting display of criminal incompetence if Abdicator gets equal to or less than Gyrba. Come on, Shanny, the world is watching; what's it gonna be?

I am a life long Wings fan and an unapologetic Kronwall fan, but this hit by Abdelkader was across every line you can imagine. He cost us a game, destroyed Lydman for no reason. Not playing the puck, just a ridiculous hit that deserves a suspension.
  • Like 1

I honestly don't think Abdelkater jumped until after contact. His left skate is still on the ice after initial contact is made

His left skate is still on the ice. His right skate is clearly up. The thing to notice about the left skate is that he's on the tip of his blade. The other thing to notice is the bent knees prior to the still below. He is clearly in the act of launching and driving into the head. This is the definition of leaving the ice. Both feet do not have to be in the air to qualify. It's clear intent. In this particular case, the fact the SECOND foot doesn't leave the ice until a fraction of a second after contact doesn't negate the fact the other one has. It's extremely rare on a hit that a player launches both feet simultaneously because, frankly, it lessens the impact. It's usually one first and the second immediately after. He is clearly in the process of launching--the intent--at impact.

Sorry the picture is blurry:

5a81d83b7a216040b54c9ea4b67dae4a.jpg

EDIT: It's also smaller than I thought it would be.

Worst hit in years. Hope Lydman is okay. Abdelkader deserves three or more games beyond a doubt. Horrid, horrid hit. I love hitting in Hockey, but cmon, that was not a hockey play. Justice must be served.

And the worst part, as a Wings fan, is the game was tied at zero late in the second when he did this bone headed play. The Ducks scored just a few seconds later and the game changed just like that. As a hockey fan, he deserved the penalty and the upcoming suspension. As a Wings fan, he deserves to be taken out back and shot, he cost us any chance we had in that game. Terrible, terrible play.

Good to see not all Wing fans put on blinders. I think a large part of the angst towards Abdelkader is because it is following right on the heels of the Gryba hit. I have not seen a lot of his play but I have to think that something evoked that response. He certainly deserves to be punished for that hit but I am curious as to what set him off.

I am a life long Wings fan and an unapologetic Kronwall fan, but this hit by Abdelkader was across every line you can imagine. He cost us a game, destroyed Lydman for no reason. Not playing the puck, just a ridiculous hit that deserves a suspension.

The thing about Kronwall, typically (and specifically the most recent incident everyone was up in arms about) is he does not skate great distances for his hits. I forget who it was he demolished most recently, but he pretty much glided two or three strides sideways and let the "victim" provide the force of the hit. That takes some skill and timing.

What Abdelkader did took no skill. Timing, I guess. In the same way a terrorist uses timing with an IED. But skating a full zone and plowing into someone's head who isn't looking isn't skill. Not one we want to applaud, anyway.

• Like 1

Calling it like you see it, I appreciate your objectivity. That said, I still think this will go lightly punished, relative to the Gyrba hit, based on the level of injury....which shouldn't matter but now I'm just repeating myself. I guess we'll see later today....can't wait for Shanny's video nonsense explanation!

• Like 1

Lots of blood and a stretcher, it had to be worse.

I think Eller was out cold before he hit the ice. The massive spillage of blood had to be from when his face did a faceplant into the ice. Yeah it does indeed look worse I agree, but IMO it was a clean hit, it was just the aftermath that was ugly.....

2 Game suspension for Abdelkator

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=422443

Detroit Red Wings forward Justin Abdelkader has been suspended two games for his hit on Toni Lydman of the Anaheim Ducks in Game 3 of their series on Saturday night.

Abdelkader appeared to line up Lydman and propel himself into the Ducks defenceman, hitting him in the side of the head with his shoulder.

Abdelkader was assessed a major penalty for charging and given a game misconduct with 4:49 left in the second period.

Lydman was helped off the ice and did not return to the game.

"From what I gather, the league has done a pretty good job with these things, and I'm not going to say anything," Anaheim coach Bruce Boudreau said after the game. "Mr. Shanahan can look at it."

Red Wings coach Mike Babcock was also reserved in his comments on the hit.

"His shoulder hit his shoulder, and the kid went down hard. They called it a major. I'm not involved in the next part of the process," said Babcock. "I didn't think he was up. I didn't think his arms were up or anything."

Game 4 of the series is scheduled for Monday night in Detroit.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=60&id=245671&navid=DL|NHL|home

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan

Right call. As a Wings fan, I can not just always say my team right or wrong. Abdelkader blew it, horrible hit at a horrible time, cost us a game, spun the series, those two games he is suspended may be our last two games of the year. Sadly, he deserved what he got.

Did Babcock really claim that was shoulder to shoulder? I musta watched the wrong video....

I have to give him the benefit of the doubt that maybe he'd only seen it live. (????)

Did Babcock really claim that was shoulder to shoulder? I musta watched the wrong video....

I have to give him the benefit of the doubt that maybe he'd only seen it live. (????)

He's going to defend his player. MacLean tried to pin the bad hit on #61 and the suicide pass. I don't remember any coach coming out & saying "Yeah, that was a dirty play. He deserves a suspension".

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan
  • Like 1