Toronto fans booing our national anthem

Guest pensuck

Hey guys, the announers explained this half way through the first, because of the timing, it seemed as if the Leafs were booing the USA anthem, but it turned out to be a picture of Chara on the jumbotron....they were just voiceing there hatred of Chara, so just bad timing.

I've been to quite a few games in my life. I can't remember seeing an opposition players picture on the big screen ever. I think its a cover up. I can't believe it happened. You know the fans would boo so why would they even consider it. It doesn't make any sense. I smell bs.

@pensuck

who cares if somebody boos the anthem? You think Ol' Glory or The Maple Leaf can't handle a few boos or insults? I get your frustration, I don't like it either. But we're not that fragile that god forbid somebody doesn't like us we have to go all patriotic and righteous on them.

Meanwhile it wasn't so long ago Thomas made his political "statement" and boycotted the team visit to the White House. That was a pretty classless act too (imho).

There are jerks everywhere. fk em.

Hey guys, the announers explained this half way through the first, because of the timing, it seemed as if the Leafs were booing the USA anthem, but it turned out to be a picture of Chara on the jumbotron....they were just voiceing there hatred of Chara, so just bad timing.

They had a picture of Chara on the board during the playing of the anthem? I find that a little difficult to believe...again I don't really care who was booing what, but lame excuses from the tv stooges is just......well, lame

It's not at all unusual for the video feed to scan over the faces of the players on the ice and on the bench during the anthems.

One can argue the wisdom of showing opposing players during foreign anthems, but it isn't all that surprising.

It also doesn't in any way excuse "fans" who decided it was far more important to boo a player's face on a video screen than give the respect and attention due the anthem of a foreign country - especially a close friend and ally of Canada's like the United States.

The reverse, of course, also holds true about America's close friend and ally to the North, Canada.

• Like 1

@radoran

I had it out with some Knights fans in game 3 when they were cheering their team on while a 10 year old girl was trying to compose herself enough to start singing the anthem. I have no issue with someone cheering their team, but not when some poor kid with obvious stagefright is trying to start over and over in between screams of "KNIGHTS!!!"

Patriotic lunacy at its finest. "Why you haff to be med? It's just a game".....

A game that is viewed mostly by Canadians, played almost entirely by Canadian and European men, financed greatly by Americans; in summation: It's everybody's game. This is, to me, the biggest cultural melting pot with regards to pro-sports.

It's a game, people from Tronno are especially crazy due the absence of a post season in nearly a decade. It will pass, but at the end of the day there has been far worse things to happen to the National Anthem (Roseann Barr, Carl Lewis, R.Kelly, Christina Aguilera, Hilary Clinton), than a few overly hyped Leafs fans.

Hell, it's not like The Kids in the Hall are storming the American Embassy in Ottawa chanting Death to the Hockey Infidels......