Horrible Officiating

trevluk

Anybody else notice that the officiating has been horrendous so far these playoffs. I have seen a bunch of terrible calls and non calls in many games so far in the playoffs (and not all in favor of the Pens! ;) ). Tonight might have been the worst though - Sharks vs Nucks - overtime - D Sedin lays a fantastic shoulder on shoulder check to Wingels who goes crashing into the boards - he didnt take a run at him, WIngels initated contact just as much as Sedin - perfectly clean, great hit - and he gets called for boarding. It was a horrible, horrible call and it cost the Nucks the game (not the series, that was pretty much already decided). Terrible way to decide a game. That ref should not be invited into the 2nd round - and I am a quasi Sharks fan! (Have lived here for almost 10 years but still bleed Orange and Black.)

• Like 1

I think they get much more right than wrong for such a fast paced game. I umpired little league baseball for kids up to 16 for over a decade, which is an amateur level in a much slower paced game, and I gotta tell you I try not to rip officiating unless it is blatantly obvious. That said, these officials are supposed to be professional, and used to the bang bang plays. I know the Canadien fans are losing their minds over the first goal scored by the Senators last night, Sens fans have been angry over the call on the Gryba hit, every series has plays that a call being made right or wrong can influence a whole series. While I think they get much more right than wrong they could still dial it up a notch and get even more correct.

• Like 1

The Rangers had EIGHT guys on the ice (not counting the goalie) and yet the Capitals got called for too many men on the ice because the leaving player was three feet from the bench not two.

I wish I had taken a picture of that one.

Correction: NINE Rangers (not counting the goalie)

toomanymen513a1.jpg

Edited by TedZep
  • Like 1

The Rangers had EIGHT guys on the ice (not counting the goalie) and yet the Capitals got called for too many men on the ice because the leaving player was three feet from the bench not two.

toomanymen513a1.jpg

That looks like it's from a counting game on Sesame Street.

• Like 2

I try to cut the officials slack. I've seen too many games lost by teams distracted from playing hockey due to over concern with the refs.

But, I do get upset with showboats. Also, we have a couple who know the rules, but have no common sense.

toomanymen513a1.jpg

Feels weird with the Flyers not there getting their annual raping by the refs...looks like they are spreading it around...good glad to see everyone getting screwed!!!

Edited by OccamsRazor

I know the Canadien fans are losing their minds over the first goal scored by the Senators last night,

That wasn't the reffing, that was Toronto! For the record, I agree that it was a good goal. The puck hit his foot and was gone before any kicking motion started. The only thing the Canadien s fans could be mad about is the faceoff location just prior to the goal. It should have been to Price's left. Instead, the linesman took it to the right side.

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan
  • Like 1

That looks like it's from a counting game on Sesame Street

Nine! Nine cheating Rangers, hah, hah, hah!

They are getting better: last night they let one go with only seven Rangers on the ice with the puck right there. The Caps' Laughlin almost had another coniption.

That wasn't the reffing, that was Toronto! For the record, I agree that it was a good goal. The puck hit his foot and was gone before any kicking motion started. The only thing the Canadien s fans could be mad about is the faceoff location just prior to the goal. It should have been to Price's left. Instead, the linesman took it to the right side.

I have watched the replay about a hundred times, it nicked his stick before hitting his skate, no way in that less than a split second could he have made the conscious decision to kick the puck in. No way. Great call/non call by Toronto, they definitely got it right. Still, gotta be agonizing to the Habs to lose that way....