This years free agent crop

Guest yave1964

Wow, what a bad crop of free agents this year. Okay maybe not bad, but no Ryan Suter or Parise to build a team around. Here is a list of the top free agents not counting potential buyouts:

Jerome Iginla

Nathan Horton

Val Filpulla

Mike ribiero

Tyler Bozak

Pascal Dupuis

Viktor Stallberg

Sergei Gonchar

Patrick Elias

David Clarkson

Mason Raymond

Mike smith

What a boring crop of free agents. With the salary cap going down these guys have picked a wrong time to be out there on the market.

Of course the buyout clause may change things up a bit, but when Gonchar is the best blue liner available, all I can say is.... Yuck.

I agree. Some who thought they would be a FA this summer signed extensions last summer

Earlier reports out there state that Iginla will sign with the penguins cheap, as he sold his home in Calgary. The Caps reportedly were working on a deal with Ribero prior to the playoffs....curious now that they went out in the first round to see what happens. I'll assume Elias will stay with the Devils.

There should be some competition for Bozak and Filipula

• Like 1

I forgot Stephen Weiss of the Panthers, really if it was not for injuries he might be at the top of the list.

As far as d-men go, Paul Martin has his name keep popping up in amnesty talk. Still, defense is really, really thin....

Year after next is the time to take runs at UFA's, the list is SIGNIFICANTLY better. List is long and deep at most positions. Flyers should have a lot of $$$ to make some moves, provided Homer doesn't do something stupid(again) this summer.

• Like 1

Most of the top tier free agents got resigned by their teams (Perry, Howard and Getzlaf come to mind) I think this may be a huge year for trades with the mediocre F/A bunch out there.

I would love the Wings to sign: Nathan Horton and buyout candidate David Booth. If healthy they bring skill and the Wings type of play

would love the Wings to sign: Nathan Horton

I think a lot of teams would be interested in Horton, I think the Flyers are probably going to kick the tires there. I wonder what kind of $$ it takes to pry him out of Boston ? They're winning, they all make about the same amount of decent money, they seem to enjoy playing together. A different team might have to really over pay to get him to leave.

Edited by mojo1917

I have new found respect for Gonchar watching the Sens and Pens series. I would have laughed at anyone even suggesting signing him as a UFA a year ago, I basically considered Gonchar washed up.....but here is, having a very respectable playoffs. The speed is at the same level as a few years ago, that has not regressed, his work on the pp looks very nice....still has that rocket of a shot. He offers a lot of skills we don't have. I'd be very, very concerned about the length of this deal, but I'd be willing to explore just based on his play of late.

Maybe the Flyers can sign Elias and put him in the press box. At least that way he can't score every single game against Philly.

Then again, he did have 36 pts in 48 games...in NJ of all places (78 in 81 the prior season). He backchecks. Maybe a one year deal to play LW with Giroux centering, opposite Voracek?

As long as he either lands in Philly or the West, I'll be fine.

• Like 1

Maybe the Flyers can sign Elias and put him in the press box.

Another non expensive free agent for the blueline i'd like to at least signed toa one year deal would be Joe Corvo...instead of Huskins.

A sericable depth guy can even play top 4 in a pinch...other than that not a whole lot i like of couse that wouldn't break the bank...

...kind of like the direction they are going seems they may be willing to let the younger guys work into the lineup when the opportunity presents itself.

@jammer2

Sorry jammer but I'd want nothing to do with Gonchar. If there's a top ten alltime somewhere of guys giving up on plays defensively, he's probably in 5 of them. Ya he's decent offensively, but he's awful without the puck.

I would have said the same thing even 2 months ago, but I swear....besides a few gaffes, this guy was solid as a rock in every zone during the playoffs. Can he recreate that on a consistant basis? probably not, cause he has been horrible in his own zone for his entire career, he would get eaten alive by the Flyer fans.....ha ha , they would be calling for his head before November set in. 95% of this playoff he was all out hustling and playing a solid all round game, shocked the hell out of me to be honest. That makes his defensive struggles even worse, cause I now know he can play a solid all round game, he just chooses not to do it consistantly. For that reason alone, he's not a very good UFA target I guess.

Would be nice to have his play at the point though, he is still very dynamic with his play in the offensive zone.

@yave1964 I love what Clarkson brings, but somebody is gonna vastly overpay for his services....I'm figuring 5.5 a year for him....and a pretty long term to boot. If Brandon Prust and his 2 goals get 2.5 on the open market, stands to reason that David nets over 5. Might be the best in the league at creating havoc in front of the goalie. That's why the Flyers will not be in on this, it's a redunant skill set due to the presence of Simmonds...and if you are paying a scoring grinder that much, you want him on the top pp.....so I don't see the Flyers in on this. Man oh man though, does he make your team hard to play against though.

edit....hope and pray he does not become a Ranger or Islander....get him the hell out of the division!!!

Edited by jammer2

Anyone watching the playoffs knows what toughness from a player can do for a team. I hate Andrew Shaw of the Hawks, but love his style and will forgive him as I root for his Hawks against the Kings in the next round.

Guys like Clarkson are always overpaid, but he is the best of his type, I think he will get a 4 year, 4 mill a year deal, and again now that the Wings are in the East hope he winds up in the west.

There is one UFA I just noticed.....and it would address a glaring need. Boston's back up Khodbulin is a UFA....he of the stellar .920 and 2.32 GGA while backing up Rask. Still young and learning, this kid is the real deal, super quick, super athletic and a tenacious desperation to his game. I would go after this guy hard, I believe he's every bit as skilled as Rask, or at least very close. With Boston having Subban in the wings, they might just let Khodbulin walk. I watched him in 4 games last year and came away very impressed, probably because 2 of the 4 were shutouts. He's every bit as athletic as Mason, maybe even faster. We NEED this guy badly!!! Hopefully, Homer takes note of this post!!!

cause I now know he can play a solid all round game, he just chooses not to do it consistantly.

i'll pass that is what we have Coburn for....they need guys that will actually play defense!