NHL MUST fix its referee/review personel

fishbulb

Seriously... what is going on this year?? Sure it's easy to dump on refs. They've got a thankless job and a hard job at that, but come on. I don't remember there ever being this many boneheaded/blown calls before.

Is it the improved camera work? Do we just 'catch' more of these mistakes that were always there?

LA Kings got ROBBED the other night when a loose puck was blown dead 0.1 secs after it barely touched niemi... the thing was clearly loose and was rolling right through him into the net.

SENS got boned on a pretty clear kicking motion last night by Brenden Morrow. Would it have saved the sens series for them? No, but it still looked pretty clearly like the same "forward motion" they've called for years. (look at :36 and :44 secs)

And don't forget the 12 feet offside call missed this year against the Predators.... no way a professional referee should have missed this.

AND OF COURSE.... you can't criticize or argue with them.

Something's wrong here... these guys are on par with the NFL's replacement refs.

We always will be the '4th' major sport... but this situation is not helping.

• Like 1

It's time imo to allow the coaches a chance to throw a red flag for further review. Whether it be missing an offsides on a score, proof of goalie interference or non calls on serious injuries behind the play. Adding a few minutes of further review, one for each team would not drag out the total game time.

The coaches used to throw things in protest, but apparently sticks are considered unsafe?

How about those calls against Toews against Detroit - three minors in one game for him. Nice head whip from one Pink Wing. Plus, Zetts is doing Toews raw practically every shift and doesn't called to the same granularity. I'd be just as pissed too if I were Toews.

@fishbulb

Clear kicking motion by Morrow?? Are you nuts? Did you see how fast that play happened in real time? Turning your skates to cut in front of the net is hardly a kicking motion. So he deflected the puck with his stick knowing it would go to his skate and kicked it in with his lightning reflexes?? Good grief man...

Only the Sens announcers felt it was kicking. Even the NBC morons felt it was pretty clean. Bear in mind you ARE allowed to direct your skate but I don't think Morrow even had time to do that.

Edited by Polaris922

Ah, now I see the edit Polaris. I was going to say, I don't remember saying that was a kick, regardless of speed.

Funny thing is I put Doom89 instead of 88... And I can't even tell you why. I think beer induced euphoria?

Seriously... what is going on this year?? Sure it's easy to dump on refs. They've got a thankless job and a hard job at that, but come on. I don't remember there ever being this many boneheaded/blown calls before.

Is it the improved camera work? Do we just 'catch' more of these mistakes that were always there?

LA Kings got ROBBED the other night when a loose puck was blown dead 0.1 secs after it barely touched niemi... the thing was clearly loose and was rolling right through him into the net.

SENS got boned on a pretty clear kicking motion last night by Brenden Morrow. Would it have saved the sens series for them? No, but it still looked pretty clearly like the same "forward motion" they've called for years. (look at :36 and :44 secs)

And don't forget the 12 feet offside call missed this year against the Predators.... no way a professional referee should have missed this.

AND OF COURSE.... you can't criticize or argue with them.

Something's wrong here... these guys are on par with the NFL's replacement refs.

We always will be the '4th' major sport... but this situation is not helping.

How about this one...notice Toews is offsides when the puck is back ou the zone yet he never tag up...ooooch!

bad non call!!!!

the Frolik penalty shot last evening (game 6 WSF) was pretty weak sauce.

it was a penalty , but not enough to warrant a freebee like that.

I'm at a loss actually as for what is a penalty and what isn't anymore.

the officiating is inconsistent at best.

@fishbulb

Clear kicking motion by Morrow?? Are you nuts? Did you see how fast that play happened in real time? Turning your skates to cut in front of the net is hardly a kicking motion. So he deflected the puck with his stick knowing it would go to his skate and kicked it in with his lightning reflexes?? Good grief man...

Only the Sens announcers felt it was kicking. Even the NBC morons felt it was pretty clean. Bear in mind you ARE allowed to direct your skate but I don't think Morrow even had time to do that.

Easy tiger... I think he kicked it and I don't care about "real time"... I also included review personel in the discussion... see it up there? I've seen less obvious kicks called back for some reason.... I've seen more obvious ones allowed. It's one example of the inconsistency being allowed.

I'm sorry for even thinking... let alone saying something negative about the pens.

Easy tiger... I think he kicked it and I don't care about "real time"... I also included review personel in the discussion... see it up there? I've seen less obvious kicks called back for some reason.... I've seen more obvious ones allowed. It's one example of the inconsistency being allowed.

I'm sorry for even thinking... let alone saying something negative about the pens.

It's not about the Pens ... It's about hockey. We'll just agree to disagree. Morrow moves his skate directly towards the boards, not the net. That's not kicking the puck in, that's deflecting, as allowed by the rule. If his skate had been moving toward the net I'd agree with you, but merely bringing your skate up towards the puck towards the boards isn't a clear kicking motion into the net.

I agree with your main point that the officiating has been lousy, I just think this was a bad example to use.

Edited by Polaris922

It's time imo to allow the coaches a chance to throw a red flag for further review. Whether it be missing an offsides on a score, proof of goalie interference or non calls on serious injuries behind the play. Adding a few minutes of further review, one for each team would not drag out the total game time.

Totally agree, especially during the playoffs when it's A) more important ie possible elimination AND B) most fans are not as worried about the length of the game, since most fans go to playoff games expecting to get home late. Fans are more prepared to be leaving late due to OT always looming large during every game. Plus, they pay so much for the tickets, even a tossed red flag would be welcomed, gives you a chance to get more bang for your buck per minute...ha ha. With so many millions at risk for the owners, literally every game is a windfall...the league has a responibility to get the call right above all else.

Also, IMHO, the 4th official makes things worse. Most people can abide with iffy calls, if the ref is consistent. But, with two guys using their individual standards, you lose that consistency within each game.