hockeyBuzz reports Coburn & # 11 to Oilers for Paajarvi &# 7

Guest Mario99

The only way I like the idea of the Coburn for MPS and 2 2nds deal is if the plan is then to trade Read to CGY for 22, leaving us with 11/22/37/41/56 and MPS. That's plenty of ammo to move up and get whoever we want, and still come away with two or three great prospects.

Of course, if Dreger's right, and Coburn for 5 is actually on the table, do that, and we have 5/11/41 and whatever we choose to get for Read.

• Like 1

The only way I like the idea of the Coburn for MPS and 2 2nds deal is if the plan is then to trade Read to CGY for 22, leaving us with 11/22/37/41/56 and MPS. That's plenty of ammo to move up and get whoever we want, and still come away with two or three great prospects.

Of course, if Dreger's right, and Coburn for 5 is actually on the table, do that, and we have 5/11/41 and whatever we choose to get for Read.

STOP....this is giving me heart palpitations, these look like an AWESOME building blocks kinda moves. I 100% approve if it can be pulled off. Little iffy on the Read trade, but hey, if they think he will be to expensive and a trade is inevitable, the #22 pick seems like a decent return. I don't know if the goalie Fucale is there then, but Hagg will be there, and if the Straw man likes him, that's good enough for me.

Edit, ahhh, didn't see the MPS thing, I like just a pick for Coburn, and Read for #22, if he is not in the future plans, I like that.

Edited by jammer2

I don't understand why everybody is so anxious to trade Read. They guy did great since he got here. This was a good find by Homer, which doesn't happen often. And now you want to trade him? Unless we get a quality D back, why on Earth would the Flyers look to get rid of him?

Edited by Mad Dog
  • Like 2

@hf101 Everyone keeps saying we should never trade our d-men. Seems like a lot of people forgot that our d never looked as good as when the replacement guys like Oliver were inserted at the end of the year. We need to make room in our top 6 for Oliver, he looked ready. On a team that is up against the cap, it seems like an obvious play to trade one of the top 6 to give Oliver a spot he deserves.

I was thinking the same thing.

@Mad Dog "Unless we get a quality D back, why on Earth would the Flyers look to get rid of him"

MD, I'm not sure about other posters.....but I see him costing a fair amount towards the cap once his new deal is agreed upon. Great player, blazing speed, low cap hit, great bang for the buck......but 2 of those 4 will stop happening starting next year. I see him commanding around 4mill in his next deal, but if he scores 35 goals this year (like I think he will), that numbers climbs to a 5.5 hit or more. He deserves 4 at least. If Homer is doing the math and thinks he can't afford it, well you just have to start operating under the assumption that he will be dealt.....and if he is not in the long term plans because of being tight to the cap, using him to move up this draft is a real good use of an asset.

Funny though, if Striet was never signed and they allow Gus to step into Kimo's role like I wanted, then we are not even talking about giving away a talented guy like Read....sickening.

Edited by jammer2

Of course, if Dreger's right, and Coburn for 5 is actually on the table, do that, and we have 5/11/41 . . . .

Cannot even begin to tell you how happy I would be if we had #5 & #11 picks in this draft.

That would be . . . ah, don't get my hopes up.

@AndyS The thought of Coburn allowing us to make a move into the top 5 is outrageous. That's overvaluing him immensely. No way can that be pulled off, but the thought of it coming true is making me light headed and dizzy.....LOL!

• Like 2

@murraycraven It's exciting to see how sure you are. This would be a tremendous move for the franchise. We would *finally* get our very own young star d-man. He would be worshiped in Philly for his style. 3pm tomorrow can't come quick enough.

As a added bonus, TSN is covering all the rounds for the first time, so we get to see trades and transactions going on live as they happen, even in the later rounds.....that is awesome, about time. TSN has even created the NFL version of "Mr.Irrelevant. It sounds a bit nicer the way TSN will terms it, forget the name right now.

@AJgoal Dear Lord, Morin is a HUGE project. A real hit or miss kinda thing, although I must admit, I have not seen any video of him. If we draft one of those LERCH types, and pass up on quality like Risto, you will see a near riot on here....lol. Those big huge men can be scary in the top half of the draft. Unless they skate like the wind. I still remember Gord Kluzak...ha ha. A more recent version is Dylan McGrath, although Dylan is only in his early twenties, he is not looking good for a top half of the first selection.

I'm not a big draftnik, I only start looking at prospects when there are a couple weeks before both NFL and NHL drafts. I am looking forward to when the moves start happening. Might not be able to watch though.

Hockey News Draft Preview has Morin going #20....he would be a real reach at 11. Homer might think he has the potential to be a Chara type, but if he really wants to go that way, ya gotta move down, pick up some picks and still take him. Just read he is an above average skater, so that's another reason why he might be zooming up scouts list as we get closer. Has a wicked shot from the point, there is a lot to like here.

"With his size, Morin isn't going to lose many loose puck battles. Morin is viewed as a puck moving d-man who is mobile for a big man".

Yeah, it looks like I was dead wrong with the Lerch comment, at 6'7, tough, fights, skates, wicked shot...there is a lot to like here.....very interesting.

I don't understand why everybody is so anxious to trade Read. They guy did great since he got here. This was a good find by Homer, which doesn't happen often. And now you want to trade him? Unless we get a quality D back, why on Earth would the Flyers look to get rid of him?

Simply put, we can't afford Read, Giroux, Couturier, B. Schenn, and to replace Mez and Timonen next offseason. I dunno about you, but I'm not letting any of those other forwards go, and I'd very much like a defense that doesn't include Bruno Gervais.

@AndyS The thought of Coburn allowing us to make a move into the top 5 is outrageous. That's overvaluing him immensely. No way can that be pulled off, but the thought of it coming true is making me light headed and dizzy.....LOL!

Coburn is very valuable, and a lot of people seem to be overrating guys who never set foot on NHL ice. The draft is still a gamble, and actual NHL players, especially big defenseman who can skate like Coburn are extremely valuable. The grass is not always greener.

I like Coburn for 5, but I don't think it's an outrageous idea either way.

Reports are Flyers out on Calgary's #6...

I can't take this....attempting to ignore Hockeybuzz and just let you guys report it...I might not make it to the draft tomorrow at this rate. We are out??? We just lost out on a superstar? UM, can we up the offer a bit??? This is killing me....LMAO.

Forgive my ignorance ..I don't follow the Oilers...how good is Paajarvi?

He's basically very skilled, highly touted but has not delivered. To be fair to the kid though, he's a top 6 type, who was playing with checkers. The Oilers top six is to good to break into, so maybe a move is best for all. From one perspective, you have to earn your way into the top six, but at some point, you have to try the kid out there, because he's not a checker, it's not his game.

By the way, I don't remember ever being this much into a draft. Wish the team could get me this excited DURING the season.

We were excited when they kept losing to get a high draft pick. But they always seem to ruin our party by winning games they shouldn't have at the end of the year.

• Like 1

By the way, I don't remember ever being this much into a draft. Wish the team could get me this excited DURING the season.

I'll be honest about it, I probably won't sleep a wink tonight. Tomorrow I'll be going on pure adrenalin. A thousand different trade scenario's will dance though my head, much like a kid on Christmas morning. The only real difference is kid's on Christmas morning don't have grey and balding hair, and Homer gives much more than Santa would ever want to.