Leafs sign David Clarkson, Re-sign Tyler Bozak

Guest EDI-Flyer

Per the Globe and Mail:

The Toronto Maple Leafs continue to look more and more like a Randy Carlyle team.

And they made a big splash into free agency in doing so.

The Leafs signed winger David Clarkson to a seven-year contract for $5.25-million a year and re-signed centre Tyler Bozak on a five-year deal for $4.2-million a year on Friday afternoon, filling out two top six forward spots.

A Toronto native, Clarkson has spent his entire career with the New Jersey Devils. Now 29, he is coming off his two best seasons, including a career high 30 goals and 46 points in 80 games in 2011-12.

Bozak, meanwhile, played big minutes under Coach Carlyle as the Leafs returned to the postseason for the first time in nine years and had 28 points in 46 games playing alongside close friend Phil Kessel.

(If there’s a silver lining to Bozak’s re-signing it’s that it makes Kessel signing an extension much more likely. His contract is up at the end of next season, and he will be due a new eight-year deal in the near future.)

The Clarkson and Bozak contracts leave the Leafs with only $14-million in cap space and needing to still re-sign restricted free agents Jonathan Bernier, Nazem Kadri, Carl Gunnarsson, Cody Franson and Mark Fraser. Those five players should eat the majority of that room.

The addition of Clarkson, meanwhile, helps fill out a lineup that lost Mikhail Grabovski (buyout), Clarke MacArthur (signed in Ottawa), Matt Frattin (trade to Los Angeles) and Leo Komarov (returned to Russia) all in recent weeks.

What Toronto will miss, however, is the speed and finesse Grabovski, MacArthur and Frattin provided, even if they didn’t quite fit into Carlyle’s vision of a rough and tumble team.

They also lose a little bit of offence, but that shouldn’t be fatal. Clarkson’s career high of 30 goals and 46 points came in 2011-12, but it was also with a shooting percentage well out of the ordinary and isn’t likely He probably pencils in as more of a 20-goal, 45-point contributor but could be a solid fit with Joffrey Lupul and Kadri on a very offence-first second line. He has only averaged about 14 minutes playing time a game in his career, but that spiked up into the 17 minute range last season playing with Patrik Elias and Travis Zajac.

It’s a lot of cake (and term) for a complimentary player, but Clarkson certainly brings the type of hard-hitting game Carlyle covets.

Throughout the roster, in fact, Nonis has remade the team much more in Carlyle’s image than previous coach Ron Wilson, who loved players like Grabovski, MacArthur, Jake Gardiner and even Liles during his time with the team.

To date, where the Leafs haven’t made any additions is on their blueline, which was a key weakness at even strength as they were outshot heavily on many nights, especially late in the year.

Whilst I like Clarkson as a player I don't like the term length on this deal, especially not if his scoring drops off majorly. The Bozak deal is slightly more palatable in terms of length but $4.2 million seems reasonable, albeit for what most people would regard as a fairly second tier centre. At least the Leafs had the sense not to give him the 8 year contract he was apparently seeking...

@EDI-Flyer The cap hit part was ok with Clarkson, taking into account the many other bidders and his UFA status. Agree with you though, the length of the deal....*7* YEARS....YIKES. That is at least 3 years to long. I've seen first hand the physical punishment that Clarkson takes in front of the net...he's not a huge guy, I'm thinking his body breaks down after 3 or 4 more years of pounding. Love his tenacious play and win at all costs attidtude, but this will come back to haunt them before it's all said and done. People talk about Homer making the same mistakes over and over, but damn...the Leafs are STILL paying Darcy Tucker this year, a guy who plays a very similar game.

I think the Leafs are the only team in the entire league that thinks Bozek is a legit #1 center. I really thought this was the year they solved the #1 center problem, they have come up short at that position each and every year since Sundin retired. There is no answer on the current roster. The additon of Bolland was a nice idea, they gave up 2nd and 4th rounders for an established center, so that's a win there, those rounds rarely give you a legit player. I still think a trade can be made with the Avelanche. Stasney would solve a lot of problems and it does not look like he will have a center slot this coming year, assuming McKinnon makes the team (which is a given IMHO). Tons of defensive prospects in the TO org, so that could work out well for both squads.

Edited by jammer2

I've seen first hand the physical punishment that Clarkson takes in front of the net...he's not a huge guy, I'm thinking his body breaks down after 3 or 4 more years of pounding. Love his tenacious play and win at all costs attidtude, but this will come back to haunt them before it's all said and done.

Yeah, this would be my main concern too jammer. Like you say if this was for four years then fine, but 7? Pass! That 30 goal season looked great but I personally think that was his career high and not likely to hit it again. 20-25 goals tops IMO tailing off in a few years time. Maybe I'll be proved wrong, the Leafs are certainly more offensively minded than the Devils so perhaps that will boost his numbers to a degree...

I still think a trade can be made with the Avelanche. Stasney would solve a lot of problems and it does not look like he will have a center slot this coming year, assuming McKinnon makes the team (which is a given IMHO). Tons of defensive prospects in the TO org, so that could work out well for both squads.

I would agree that a trade could be made with the Avs but given that Stastny's cap hit is $6.6 million I'm not sure TO could fit him in... Next year when he is UFA possibly...

From the article in the Globe and Mail:

The Clarkson and Bozak contracts leave the Leafs with only $14-million in cap space and needing to still re-sign restricted free agents Jonathan Bernier, Nazem Kadri, Carl Gunnarsson, Cody Franson and Mark Fraser. Those five players should eat the majority of that room.

Edited by EDI-Flyer

@EDI-Flyer I figure you sign Gunnerson then trade him and another bottom six type the other way.....and maybe save a mill or so from that list of RFA's...they should be able to find a way to get it done if they really want to do it.

That is a nice list of RFA's though....you figure Bernier should get around 2.5 or 3....same for Kadri, Gunnerson. Maybe Fransen gets 2 mill and Fraser gets 1.3 or something....it should cost them 12-13 of their 14 mill cap room.

I agree with Clarkson...besides a few years, he has some really low point totals. His career best is 46....lol, that's really low for a guy who should be in his prime. The only saving grace is the TO offense like you said, they play a wide open style, should provide more scoring chances for Clarkson.

The other bad part of signing a guy like David, to get anywhere close to full value from this deal, you will be married to the idea that he will be parked in front of the goalie on the top pp for the next 7 years. He does not score much at even strength, think almost half his pts came from the pp. Problem is, other players will move up and deserve to be on the top pp, but you are stuck with David there, or you lose his value as even a moderate pts producer....then it's 5.5 for "heart and soul"....not the best way to spend your money....lol.

• Like 1

Clarkson is a good signing for Toronto, though I agree the term is bad.

There was talk yesterday that if the Leafs didn't sign BFF Bozak, Kessel would walk the next year when his contract expires. And Kessel is a goofy enough personality that he'd rather have someone he's comfortable with than an actual true #1 center.

• 3 weeks later...

I figure you sign Gunnerson then trade him and another bottom six type the other way

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/52918-Leafs-avoid-arbitration-with-Gunnarsson-sign-defenceman-to-threeyear-deal.html

TORONTO - The Toronto Maple Leafs re-signed defenceman Carl Gunnarsson to a three-year deal Monday, avoiding salary arbitration.

Gunnarsson, 26, had one goal and 14 assists in 37 games last season.

In 224 career regular-season games, all with the Leafs, Gunnarsson has registered 12 goals and 57 assists with 58 penalty minutes.

The Leafs originally selected the six-foot-two, 196-pound Swede 189th overall in the 2007 draft.

Meanwhile, the Leafs announced Monday that they have agreed to an affiliation with the Orlando Solar Bears of the ECHL. The Leafs will share the affiliation with the Minnesota Wild.

...well that is done...

http://www.thehockey...eyear-deal.html

TORONTO - The Toronto Maple Leafs re-signed defenceman Carl Gunnarsson to a three-year deal Monday, avoiding salary arbitration.

Gunnarsson, 26, had one goal and 14 assists in 37 games last season.

In 224 career regular-season games, all with the Leafs, Gunnarsson has registered 12 goals and 57 assists with 58 penalty minutes.

The Leafs originally selected the six-foot-two, 196-pound Swede 189th overall in the 2007 draft.

Meanwhile, the Leafs announced Monday that they have agreed to an affiliation with the Orlando Solar Bears of the ECHL. The Leafs will share the affiliation with the Minnesota Wild.

...well that is done...

Not a bad deal for Gunnarsson. He is one of the more steady guys in his own end. Hopefully can get Fraser locked up soon, great third pairing guy.

• Like 1

@Scorpion

First of all Welcome!

A 3 year deal a little over 3M is a nice deal for Gunnarsson. It seems as if most players are signing this year avoiding arbitration.

It is probably a good mix for the Solar Bears @flyerrod may catch a game or two over the season as one of Florida's own Ian Slater was signed by the Solar Bears. I'm not sure if he represents the Wild, Leafs or just the Solar Bears.

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20130723/SPORTS/307230021/Solar-Bears-give-Satellite-Beach-native-Slater-shot

Well, I said Gunnerson's new deal would come in around 2.5- 3 mill and he signed for 3.15 mill a year, I was pretty close. I still contend either Gunnerson or Liles gets moved before the season starts. My take on the Leafs defensive depth chart.....

1)Dion Phaneuf

2)Jake Gardiner

3)Carl Gunnerson

4)John- Michael Liles

5)Cody Franson

6)Korbinian Holzer

7)Mark Fraser

8)Jesse Blacker

9)Morgan Riley

10)T.J Brennan

11)Kevin Marshall

12)Matt Finn

13)Stuart Percy

14)Tom Nillson

15)Victor Loov

16)Peter Granburg

17)Eric Knodel

18)Andrew McWilliams

19)Max Everson

20)Dennis Robertson

21)Juris Markis

22)Simon Gysbers

Of the guys listed from 8-22, I consider Riley, Blacker, Percy, and Finn legit NHL prospects. Any one of those guys could potentially have a great training camp and force a trade among the top 7. I got to see Percy last year when the Miss. Steelheads came to town and came away VERY impressed. Great skater, terrific shot and a fine pp qb and also thier captain. There is a TON of talent here in their defensive prospects. One of the better depth charts for NHL prospects on the blue line. Looks to me like the Marlies will have some outstanding prospects playing for them, and the Leafs will need their new ECHL affilation just to get playing time for their long list of prospects. Some will go back to Europe, but I can see why the Leafs drafted no defensemen at the 2013 draft, it's a positon that is overloaded and they just did not need to address it.

@Scorpion

First of all Welcome!

A 3 year deal a little over 3M is a nice deal for Gunnarsson. It seems as if most players are signing this year avoiding arbitration.

It is probably a good mix for the Solar Bears @flyerrod may catch a game or two over the season as one of Florida's own Ian Slater was signed by the Solar Bears. I'm not sure if he represents the Wild, Leafs or just the Solar Bears.

http://www.floridato...ive-Slater-shot

Oh I will definitely be seeing him. I split Solar Bears Season Tickets with my Bro in law. Funny thing is I will probably be taking his mom to some of the games with us. She works with my other Sister in law.

@Scorpion Scorps! Is that you? Long time no talky! <<Used to be Spasmatic Dan, we went to McDonald's that one time with Wingsnut back in the hockeyforum days...assuming you are the same Scorpion and not some imposter!

Welcome!

Haha it is indeed me! Yes I remember the McDonalds trip, good times... Nice to see ya here.

• Like 2

@Scorpion Scorps! Is that you? Long time no talky! <<Used to be Spasmatic Dan, we went to McDonald's that one time with Wingsnut back in the hockeyforum days...assuming you are the same Scorpion and not some imposter!

Welcome!

Holy crap. I did not know you were spasmic Dan. WASSAP!

• Like 1