Iginla to Bruins

beachflyer

that is some serious cash, though it is heavily incentive ladden. Wonder how Bruin fans are gonna treat him after he spurned them the first time around last year. Does this make Boston better. Iggy is on back end of career. Hmmm very curious to see how he does in beantown.

@pilldoc He has been a model of consistancy besides this one short abberation of a season. Despite the bad playoff, he's still a really nice additon. I see 25+ goals, strong character and heavy hitter. Still a guy who will stick up for teammates etc. It's a tad pricy for him, but the important thing is they repalced Horton's 20 goals short term and don't have the 7 seasons after it to worry about. How are they gonna have any money left for Rask? My calcualtions had them not being afford an additon like this.....hmmmmm. Loui will cost more than Seguin...so I'm puzzled how they can afford this move?

The humility!

He's got to feel a bit foolish after turning them down at the deadline, only to get his arse handed to him in the playoffs. With a camp he should fit right in. His style is pure Bruin. As jammer mentioned, he can step in for Horton without missing a beat. It's a little on the high side dollar-wise, but a much smarter signing than 5 years of Vinny.

IMO, Iginla & Marchand should go bowling together...can't stand & could never stand Iginla. To me, he still has a Flames uniform on underneath the Pens' uniform, & now under the Bruins'. FC, I wouldn't say he's got the humility, I'd say he's got the nerve to sign now with BOS. I hope the fans boo him every time he gets on the ice & each time touches the puck. Better yet, throw some fish at his head. haha

Makes Vinny at 4.5 look better everyday....

Sure. For ONE year.

VLC also has the largest buyout in the history of the league in his pocket. "Playing for less" is exactly what he can choose to do in his specific instance.

The apples to apples comparison (taking age into consideration) is if Iginla had gotten two years with a NMC and $6M.

Also, I hope to God that VLC is a $6M player two years from now. Then that's real value.

VLC also has the largest buyout in the history of the league in his pocket. "Playing for less" is exactly what he can choose to do in his specific instance.

don't care about that i just hope he comes here and is productive...nothing we can do about it now...just hope the Flyers benefit from it...if it brings the Cup it will be worth it...if not it won't be, only way to justify it is with a Cup win...don't worry guys there will plenty of time between now and then to 2nd guess this subject to death but will have to wait for hindsight like always!

don't care about that i just hope he comes here and is productive...nothing we can do about it now...just hope the Flyers benefit from it...if it brings the Cup it will be worth it...if not it won't be, only way to justify it is with a Cup win...don't worry guys there will plenty of time between now and then to 2nd guess this subject to death but will have to wait for hindsight like always!

Strange to make a post specifically about something you "don't care about."

Either VLC's deal "looks good" in comparison to you - as you specifically said - or it doesn't. My point is that the comparison is flawed.

There will be lots of time to celebrate Homer's GM of the Year award - once he gets it. Until then, might I direct you to the Lecavalier/Giroux thread where I'm discussing the potential benefits of VLC in the lineup?

So you were ok with Brieres play last year when the cap was up?

VLC is a Much Different player than li'l Danny. There's a good chance that the change of scenery will do him good. Nextyear should be a good indication of the value from the trade. The out years are the out years. We'll see what happens with them.

Of course, VLC's never done much without a Vermont Catamount on the squad with him, so we'll have to wait and see on that, too.

@radoran

Danny was a good player for a few years. He was terrible last year, and left 2 more on his contract. I'm not worried about how Vinny will do this year. Or even next. It's those last THREE that have me worried. If Homer signed him for 2 or 3 years, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

There's no magic buyouts to save his sorry ass next time.

@radoran

Danny was a good player for a few years. He was terrible last year, and left 2 more on his contract. I'm not worried about how Vinny will do this year. Or even next. It's those last THREE that have me worried. If Homer signed him for 2 or 3 years, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

There's no magic buyouts to save his sorry ass next time.

I completely understand where you are coming from and have some sympathy for it.

VLC will be 38 at the end of his deal. He is a much bigger player than Briere, who is showing the wear of his years as a small guy in this league.

If they still project him to be a Top Line forward in the final years of the deal, I think they will be disappointed. As a 2/3 "second line scoring" forward I think he will still have value. Value for the contract?

At $4.5M in 2017, I think you might be surprised.

I think VLC took less money because he had the buyout in his pocket and the Flyers gave him an extra year at the lower price to cinch the deal.

Would that money have been better put going after a Stalberg or a Filppula? Arguable. You'd pay more for youth but also lose in experience.

Strange to make a post specifically about something you "don't care about."

Either VLC's deal "looks good" in comparison to you - as you specifically said - or it doesn't. My point is that the comparison is flawed.

There will be lots of time to celebrate Homer's GM of the Year award - once he gets it. Until then, might I direct you to the Lecavalier/Giroux thread where I'm discussing the potential benefits of VLC in the lineup?

i'k ok with it the needs veterans on the team to teach the young guys, Vinny fits the bill and he has a Cup to his resume...need those types he could have went to several different teams he chose here...i'm happy and the contract is tolerable for me.

Vinny wasn't going to sign a 1 or 2 year dealthat simple...sometimes you have to pay to play...and that is what this was.

Was he my first choice, no i stated on here a couple times i wanted Selanne to fill that role but i got zero support on that so this is what you get no matter what people will bitch and i guess they have the right like i do to say i'm ok with it.

So you were ok with Brieres play last year when the cap was up?

No i wasn't happy with it but he wasn't alone the whole team stunk...but he struggled with a wrist injury and then it seemed it bothered him all season. Yet for the money he was to make Vinny was a better fit...the length of Vinny's contract i can't do nothing about anymore than i could when i suggested Selanne instead and you would have got the 1 year deal that everyone wanted.

Now him coming to Philly is a different arguement but he had what i wanted for the Flyers a player who won a cup and was still effective and still has the speed to keep up with the youngsters yet i didn't get my wish...i'm ok with it...what choice do i or any of us have???

We don't but don't forget what Danny did here especially in the playoffs his points from 2010 hasn't been done before really and hasn't been done before and hasn't been done since...109 points in 108 games ain't to shabby...we'll miss him come playofftime.....

Was he my first choice, no i stated on here a couple times i wanted Selanne to fill that role but i got zero support on that so this is what you get no matter what people will bitch and i guess they have the right like i do to say i'm ok with it.

I think I had your back on the whole Selanne thing, except I expect him to ride into the Finnish sunset with Saku Koivu. Two of my all time favorite players.

I understand why the specifics of the Lecavalier deal "had to" be done they way they were in the specific instance of the Lecavalier deal. And I also know the context of that deal in the context of moves the team has made and failed to make - keeping Carle and Jagr, for example - that made them feel the Lecavalier deal "had to" be done.

And the similarity in that thinking to the way that the team roped itself to the Rock of Bryzgalov and threw themselves over the side has some people concerned that perhaps lessons have not been sufficiently learned from past mistakes.

I'm good with the VLC deal in reality if I have some concerns in concept. I do feel that $4.5M is now and will be in the future a bargain for what he brings. And given that number, I can certainly see him accepting a deal back to the Lightning to "end his career as a Bolt."

I think I had your back on the whole Selanne thing, except I expect him to ride into the Finnish sunset with Saku Koivu

My choices if i'm GM...sign Selanne if he'd come may not...waive Bruno and Mezz that would free up 1.8 mill right there and if room is still there sign Corvo for 1 year at 1.2-1.5 mill.

That would be it...Vinny and Streit i'd pass on yet like i said i'm just a fan...helpless to whatever they dream up...like you all said this ain't the first rodeo they have done this for decades...i'm just out of energy to argue any more is all.

Aslo i'm just happy they got out from under Danny and Bryz...yet they turn around and do it again with VL and MS....however they will fill roles here and won't be worse than the guys they replaced.