Olympic Boycott

I don't even want to hear this kind of garbage talk...

After more than a year’s worth of talks, the NHL could be on the verge of announcing that its players will take part in the 2014 Olympic Games

But if one U.S. Senator has his way, Patrick Kane, Jonathan Quick and the rest of Team USA won’t be joining the world in Sochi.

Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina says that an Olympic boycott is one possible measure that the U.S. should explore if Russia decides to grant temporary asylum to Edward Snowden. Snowden is hiding in Russia after leaking classified documents detailing U.S. surveillance programs.

Graham also expressed concern about Russia’s support for the oppressive regime in Syria, and their enabling of Iran’s nuclear program.

“I don’t know if putting the Olympics on the table is the right answer but I do know this: What we’re doing is not working, and sitting on the sidelines and watching the Russians empower some of the most brutal people in the 21st century, and doing nothing about it is wrong,” Graham said Tuesday.

“What I’m trying to do is let the Russians know enough is enough. How much more are we going to let them get away with before we make it real to them?”

Is this political grandstanding or a legitimate threat just waiting to gain momentum? And would the U.S. really go so far as to stage a boycott as a last resort if all other diplomatic efforts fail? It seems unlikely, but stranger proposals have gained traction in the past.

The situation hasn’t escaped the notice of the NHL.

Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly told SI.com the league has “no specific contingency plans because it is a hypothetical situation at this point. If and when we are faced with something like that as a reality, we are certainly prepared to consider and react appropriately depending on the totality of the circumstances.”

Ultimately, it’s up to the United States Olympic Committee to call for a boycott, not the American government. The USOC did, however, stand behind President Jimmy Carter’s call to boycott the 1980 Moscow Games after the 1979 invasion of Afghanistan by the Soviet Union.

That boycott eventually involved 65 nations, including Canada, but did nothing to impact Soviet policy.

The circumstances that led to that movement might seem a little more extreme than those dictating this current talk, but not to the eyes of Graham, who wasn’t afraid to trigger emotions by working Adolf Hitler into his argument.

“If you could go back in time, would you have allowed Hitler to host the [1936] Olympics in [berlin]? To have the propaganda coup of inviting the world into Nazi Germany and putting on a false front?” Graham asked. “I’m not saying that Russia is Nazi Germany, but I am saying that the Russian government is empowering some of the most evil, hateful people in the world.”

If Graham is looking to gather support for a boycott plan, he won’t find an ally in House Speaker John Boehner.

“Why would we want to punish U.S. athletes who’ve been training for three years to compete in the Olympics over a traitor who can’t find a place to call home?” Boehner told reporters

@DaGreatGazoo Wow, huh....really?? I barely know who Snowden is, but regardless, one man spying or revealing to much on the net etc...that should NEVER be grounds for a boycott. These athletes work their whole lives for the Olympics....this is beyond sickening!!! Let's put the politics on the back shelf and let the athletes do what they do best...compete!!!

• Like 4

Lindsay Graham is a freaking meat head. But the whackadoodles that listen to this half wit will clamour right along with him.

There are very large differences between now and the boycott in 1980 (which was stupid, by the way) but this would be one of the more important:

In 1980, there were two blocs. If the US boycotted, so did most of NATO and other allies. How many countries do you think would really boycott the Olympics over Snowden? Over Syria? Really?

This is crap and Lindsay Graham knows it. If he doesn't, he's a bigger imbecile than I give him credit for. He's grandstanding for his retarded base and that's the beginning and end of it. He really needs to shut up or go talk about something he knows a damn about. Oh wait, that isn't exactly a choice. Both mean shut up.

• Like 1

Lindsay Graham is a freaking meat head. But the whackadoodles that listen to this half wit will clamour right along with him.

There are very large differences between now and the boycott in 1980 (which was stupid, by the way) but this would be one of the more important:

In 1980, there were two blocs. If the US boycotted, so did most of NATO and other allies. How many countries do you think would really boycott the Olympics over Snowden? Over Syria? Really?

This is crap and Lindsay Graham knows it. If he doesn't, he's a bigger imbecile than I give him credit for. He's grandstanding for his retarded base and that's the beginning and end of it. He really needs to shut up or go talk about something he knows a damn about. Oh wait, that isn't exactly a choice. Both mean shut up.

Just lure the stupid senator into a crate with a banana and we can all go on as planned

• Like 1

I honestly don't think that this would happen. The issue isn't well known enough, or severe enough, for the American government to be able to justify an Olympic boycott to citizens.

Well, I think it's actually fairly well-known here in the States. But to your point, I cannot imagine why any ally would be on board...especially since it's fairly obscure even in neighboring Canada.

Here's the thing, though, I don't see why any of our European allies would join our boycott since Snowden released UNCONTESTED information that we were spying on our European allies!

I mean, I just don't understand the ROI or cost benefit of the US boycotting the Olympics on its own. It's like two families fighting so the head of the house in home A says to the head in home B, "I'll show you who's boss!" ...and shoots his own family.

(Let's try to keep this more hockey and less politics if it is actually possible...)

I appreciate the reason for the above, but I'm not sure this is actually a hockey issue. Certainly not one that can be discussed devoid of general current events. I think we just be careful--I came close if didn't step over--to not throw groups or parties under the bus and keep it to merits of "boycott or don't"

I'll behave.

Edited by ruxpin
That said, Lindsay Graham is still an idiot very much in need of a banana and a crate.

Well, I think it's actually fairly well-known here in the States. But to your point, I cannot imagine why any ally would be on board...especially since it's fairly obscure even in neighboring Canada.

Fair enough. I've only heard briefly about it here, and not very much discussion overall.

Never happen .This is all coming from one piece of garbage politician... Usually boycotts happen for far more serious things than some punk coward who runs off to a country that doesn't treat it's people fair, WHINING about his country not treating it's people fair...