Fleury ranked best goaltender in shootouts

Polaris922

@Polaris922 I wonder if there is a stat that shows a corelation between shoot out wins/stops and break away/odd man rushs in regular time. Would be interesting to see if the goalies that were proficient at the shoot out carried it over to break aways. They have a new stat for everything else, wonder if this one exists?

@Polaris922 Props to MAF & King Henrik! I'm still not crazy about the shoot-out as the tie-breaker as I don't think it's really fair, but then again, our goalies have never been exactly 'solid' in this capacity...LOL! Remember when Lu was called the 'whale' for always ending up flopping on his belly (as the puck sailed by)?

• Like 1

@ruxpin

Where's Bryz in all this?

(Like I don't know)

The best goalie in the history of the universe is deciding between playing in the middle of nowhere or taking up cosmonaut training (in the middle of nowhere).

Bryz is proof that the anti-corollary to "sucks in the playoffs because he is great in the shootout" doesn't work. You can also suck at the shootout AND suck in the playoffs. And the regular season. And Winter Classics. And interviews. And in the locker room. And....

• Like 1

I just don't see how the author of the article picks out one stat between two goalies and says "there, that's the one that decides everything." They have the same SV%, but Lundqvist has seen almost one more shooter per shootout (3.8 for HL versus 3.1 for MAF). Three shooters and then it's done for Pittsburgh? Sounds like they have better shooters than New York. Yup: PIT is 4th with a SH% of 36.9%, NYR are 22nd with a SH% of 31.2%

You can't use Win% to differentiate between goalies. They don't step out of their crease and score goals in addition to preventing them.

TLDR - article is junk stat work.

JR

• Like 3

Just looking at Fleurys playoff record. Over his career with the Pens, their farm team and his junior squad, in 13 playoffs he's had over a .900 or better save percentage TWICE!!!

I knew he was bad at them, but I didn't know he was the worst! :blink:

Just looking at Fleurys playoff record. Over his career with the Pens, their farm team and his junior squad, in 13 playoffs he's had over a .900 or better save percentage TWICE!!!

I knew he was bad at them, but I didn't know he was the worst! :blink:

and Vegas says they have the best odds of winning the cup. :lol:

You can rain on the stat all you want, but winning percentage is largely dependent on goalies. Fleury has a top save % AND win %. Comparing to lundqvist also means King Henrik let's in more goals if he's facing more shooters. If he'd stopped all three as often as Fleury has he'd not be facing the 4th shooter so often. Let alone 5th... Or 6th...

I'm not saying he's the best goaltender in the league. I'm simply saying I knew he was among the best at shoot outs, and his winning % coupled with save % prove it.

Hate on...

You can rain on the stat all you want, but winning percentage is largely dependent on goalies.

Fleury has a top save % AND win %. Comparing to lundqvist also means King Henrik let's in more goals if he's facing more shooters. If he'd stopped all three as often as Fleury has he'd not be facing the 4th shooter so often. Let alone 5th... Or 6th...

I'm not saying he's the best goaltender in the league. I'm simply saying I knew he was among the best at shoot outs, and his winning % coupled with save % prove it.

Hate on...

The correlation coefficient between GF and Win% is 0.7, and the correlation between GA and Win% is -0.7... In other words, they have an equal relationship with winning. We can't turn around and say that Win% is largely dependent on goalie until they start popping a few goals while they're are at it. They can make all the saves in the world, but they don't win unless their teammates score, no matter how good they are stopping pucks.

Regarding the number of shooters... Lundqvist sees more shooters per shootout because his team is less efficient than are the Pens, not because of how he's performed. After all, he and Fleury have the same SV%.

Also: not hating on Fleury. I never even said that he's not the best goalie in shootouts. I think his SV%, which is tied for the top spot, shows that he's damned good at it; among the best in the NHL. My only issue was with the article.

JR

The correlation coefficient between GF and Win% is 0.7, and the correlation between GA and Win% is -0.7... In other words, they have an equal relationship with winning. We can't turn around and say that Win% is largely dependent on goalie until they start popping a few goals while they're are at it. They can make all the saves in the world, but they don't win unless their teammates score, no matter how good they are stopping pucks.

Regarding the number of shooters... Lundqvist sees more shooters per shootout because his team is less efficient than are the Pens, not because of how he's performed. After all, he and Fleury have the same SV%.

Also: not hating on Fleury. I never even said that he's not the best goalie in shootouts. I think his SV%, which is tied for the top spot, shows that he's damned good at it; among the best in the NHL. My only issue was with the article.

JR

Your comment showed a proper correlation. My response was more geared to the run of the mill comments a few like to pile on about his playoff struggles, which clearly represent shoot outs. ;). My comment was largely dependent but I by no means meant mostly dependent. I think if your goalie is better at it you have a greater chance of winning though. You can score two and have a great shooting percentage but still lose if your goalie surrenders three.

Your comment showed a proper correlation. My response was more geared to the run of the mill comments a few like to pile on about his playoff struggles, which clearly represent shoot outs. ;). My comment was largely dependent but I by no means meant mostly dependent. I think if your goalie is better at it you have a greater chance of winning though. You can score two and have a great shooting percentage but still lose if your goalie surrenders three.

Yeah, I'm not a guy to start piling on and flame. Not my style. There's few players, managers, etc I have anything against, and if I make a comment, it's never from a source of bias.

Well... Maybe not Steve Tambellini. To hell with everything about that guy as a GM. Terrible.

JR

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm not a guy to start piling on and flame. Not my style. There's few players, managers, etc I have anything against, and if I make a comment, it's never from a source of bias.

Well... Maybe not Steve Tambellini. To hell with everything about that guy as a GM. Terrible.

JR

You're an upstanding guy, JR...you bring a lot of class to this forum/site..(not that it was classless, but just sayin'... ;) )

@JR Ewing HAHAHA....btw WHAT is that avatar anyhow?? Many have wondered, but few/none have dared ask :ph34r:...(reminds me of 'Deliverance'...LOL!)

Just a mugshot of some poor sap somewhere. I change avatars every month or so, so it won't be around too too long.

(accepting offers, btw... low low prices)

JR