Can Michael Raffl make the team?

Mad Dog

Not much has been discussed about this, but I thought he clicked tremendously with Vinny and Simmer.  I know the Flyers offense is overcrowded, and I just don't see a spot for him, but who really knows.  So far he has been quite impressive.

I think he is destined for the AHL...at least for opening night.

I think so too, and that's expected. Fair or not, but the Flyers simply have no room for him.

Does anybody know what the status of his contract is? Is it two-way? In otehr words, can he be recalled by the Flyers?  I know pre-season usually doesn't mean much, but the guy looked really, really solid on that line.

He is on an ELC, so he is elligible to play either on the Phantoms or the Flyers. A two way contract doesn't have any bearing on a player's ability to be recalled, it just means that they are paid at a lower rate when they are in the AHL. It also means that during the offseason, they only count for a prorated portion of the offseason cap based on the number of games they played in the NHL the year prior.

The longer this goes on the more I think Raffl makes the opening day roster.  Still would like to see Laughton make the Team but feel like he is destined for another year in Jr with the logjam at center.   Raffl has not looked out of place in the preseason games and has been a nice addition.   If I am betting I think he makes the Team as he can play wing and Laughton is sent down.  

@ TZ:   I am 14,015 days old - or - 336,360 hours old :PHI:

Edited by murraycraven

Reports are Raffl and Vandevelde are in a battle for the last roster spot with Laughton having an outside chance. I think Vandevelde will take the opening night spot based on his (limited) NHL experience. He and Raffle will alternate throughout the year. Laughton will be sent back to junior.

Michael Raffl

Left Wing -- shoots L

Born - Dec 1 1988  [24 yrs. ago]

That's an interesting way of putting someone's age.

"How old are you?"

"I was born 35 years ago."

I thought it was a tad odd also, just the way hockey database does it.